Call of Duty Ghosts, Not using new engine as previously claimed?

JaeDee884

Call of Duty Ghosts to run the same engine as the previous game with some modifications instead of a new engine like previously claimed. 
Executives are going as far as to claim modifications to the current engine qualify it to have the title of brand new engine, seems like once again the Cod series are catering to blind consumers with buzz words and outright lies. 

I was really excited about a new engine, would've validated me purchasing consecutive cod games for the first time but looks like once again I'll be waiting a few years for my next purchase. 

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/05/next-gen-call-of-duty-last-last-gen-engine/

The reason they’re still using the same engine, as opposed to an all-new one, is about what you’d expect given the annual release cycle of the series. “[it's] impossible to develop a new engine from the ground up in a two year cycle”, he says.

“What we do is we say ‘OK what are the things that are significant and that we would say that are encompassing of the engine or its visual quality?” he adds. “Are those being upgraded in a significant way? Alright, then I think that warrants that we’ve got a new engine on our hands”.

What do you guys think, Is it ok for a publisher to reuse an engine with modifications and claim its a new engine entirely, or should we as a community takes stances against this for the purpose of transparency?

Also how much of this "new engine" is built around dog mechanics? just a thought i had towards the end of this post, are the claiming new engine due to added "Canine coding"?

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

Well i went from MW to Blops2, several year jump makes the advancements seem more then incremental. 

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

Unfortunately it works on fanboys, and general consumers. who unfortunately make the majority.

I want better lighting, ambient occlusion, anti-aliasing, specular map, anisotropic filtering, destruction physX, less fog, actual high resolution textures, and a but load of model enhancements.

Yeah, just make it look like battlefield without fog.

Is that so hard?

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

It's all about marketing.. When you have so many people rapped around your finger you can tell them just about anything and they will believe it. With this generation of consoles, the justification for the game looking like crap is because the hardware is very old, and if you want your game to run consistently at 60fps you really have to lower the graphical fidelity. From the rumors and specification releases, it appears both consoles will have a GPU equivalent of something like a 7790 or a 7850; so now it seems they are just not willing to spend any time and money on a new engine considering how people will still purchase the game regardless.

if their own engine is this terrible, than why don't they just borrow cryengine and make something thats actually quality? it would probably cost them too much and they make millions either way so they won't care unless people stopped buying their games.

I've got a question, since I haven't actually followed anything about CoD for a long time... has there been a new engine at all since the first Modern Warfare? I honestly don't know for sure, and don't recall ever seeing a big enough change in graphics to conclude that one has occurred.

I want better lighting, ambient occlusion, anti-aliasing, specular map, anisotropic filtering, destruction physX, less fog, actual high resolution textures, and a but load of model enhancements.

Is that so hard?

Battlefield 3 doesn't look that great. I don't know whats wrong with it, it just looks bad. Could be its post processing, bad anti aliasing or its bad textures. Granted its an old game, but even when it came out I always thought it looked wierd, more like a movie rather than real life.

For me, the more realistic a game looks the more beautiful it will look to me. Look at farcry 3 or crysis (1, not 2 and 3.). They have done it right, everything looks so subtle and natural. Lighting is spot on and post processing and colours are absolutely perfect!!

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  • 

Is that so hard?

This ^

it's sad that they keep using this '2 year cycle' as a cover for bone-idled laziness! they gotta get their stuff together and give it a last decent hoorah to see if they can get any of their cred back with the actual gamers.

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

But...dem dawgs looked so nice. Sick wall jumping def looked next gen, come on guys....and did you see how smooth and ROUND those models looked up close?!?! They had FISH ffs! FISH

eta:DONT FORGET THE AWESOME FOREARMS

Call of Duty reusing stuff from the past, when did this become news?

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Realistic sunrays coming through trees

Untitled-COD-Ghosts-Lighting.jpg

Call of Duty Ghosts to run the same engine as the previous game with some modifications instead of a new engine like previously claimed. 

Executives are going as far as to claim modifications to the current engine qualify it to have the title of brand new engine, seems like once again the Cod series are catering to blind consumers with buzz words and outright lies. 

I was really excited about a new engine, would've validated me purchasing consecutive cod games for the first time but looks like once again I'll be waiting a few years for my next purchase. 

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/05/next-gen-call-of-duty-last-last-gen-engine/

What do you guys think, Is it ok for a publisher to reuse an engine with modifications and claim its a new engine entirely, or should we as a community takes stances against this for the purpose of transparency?

Also how much of this "new engine" is built around dog mechanics? just a thought i had towards the end of this post, are the claiming new engine due to added "Canine coding"?

What a disappointment, game engine revisions are typically the number one cause of improvement in a game.

hehehehe why am I not suprised I bet the consoles and handle it_

In regards to COD it doesnt even matter. People will still buy Uber Pwnage Dominator 14... <What I refer to COD as.

its COD what where you expecting the truth?

Character artist in the Games industry.

yea next gen ^^ :D

My PC Specs is:
i7 3930k @ 4.1ghz, 16gb 2133mhz rams running at around 2000mhz, 256gb ocz agillity3 ssd x2 raid 0 stripe 128kb, EVGA GTX 780 3GB GDDR5 SLI, ocz 1250w psu, asus p9x79deluxe motherboard, Cooler H100i
Windows 8 x64 PRO

so let's be honest mw3 looked like shit, so does this mean they are basically polishing a turd?