Nvidia: Average selling prices of graphics cards can grow further

Artorias

Modern graphics cards are among the most expensive components of personal computers and due to their importance for gamers they can get even more expensive, believes Jen-Hsun Huang, chief executive officer of Nvidia.

Personal computers are becoming more and more popular among gamers because they offer high-quality graphics and support hundreds of popular games. As a result, gamers increase spending on computer components in a bid to further improve visual quality and performance of new titles. As a result, average selling prices (ASPs) of select computer components, including graphics cards, are increasing. According to the head of Nvidia, ASPs of graphics cards will continue to increase in the future.

“As the production value of games continue to grow, I think we are going to see our ASPs grow,” said Jen-Hsun Huang during a conference call with financial analysts and investors. “So I would say that the dynamics of thePC gaming industry is really quite healthy, both in more and more players playing and ASPs increasing because of production value.”

Source: http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/nvidia-average-selling-prices-of-graphics-cards-can-grow-further/

Please don't start a Nvidia vs. AMD war in this thread.

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

Oh god why. It's bad enough that I have to spend like $350 for a 760, but the fact that price is probably going to go up.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

nothing new here, he's just talking about supply and demand, and future R&D cost, nothing to start the classic green vs red war, both sides can do this effectively (if the conditions are given ofc)

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

As games grow more demanding, the hardware necessary to play those games will become more demanding, and that means more expensive too. Thats all they're saying.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

Welcome to PCMasterRace

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand what was that about the 800 series being cheaper than the 700 series?

Lololool.

I like Nvidia and all, but their CEO is a weird person in my opinion, and their marketing sucks.

As games grow more demanding, the hardware necessary to play those games will become more demanding, and that means more expensive too. Thats all they're saying.

No, not necessarily because more powerful hardware becomes cheaper. The highest end stuff will become equivalent to low end stuff as time progresses along with games becoming harder to run.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Welcome to PCMasterRace

That's it... I'm buying a Wii U!

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

I'll counter that argument: graphics these days are so good that honestly any improvement that would require more power than what we have now will probably not make a big enough difference for me to want the higher end cards.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

youre_serious_futurama.gif

oh nvidia 

I'll counter that argument: graphics these days are so good that honestly any improvement that would require more power than what we have now will probably not make a big enough difference for me to want the higher end cards.

But SIR, you have not seen the new 9999K 4D Resolution with dickbuttfx technology yet .. you know you want it

No, not necessarily because more powerful hardware becomes cheaper. The highest end stuff will become equivalent to low end stuff as time progresses along with games becoming harder to run.

Not accurate. They constantly have to keep spending more and more money on R&D and on investing in new technology. Every time TSMC shrinks a die size, it gets more and more expensive to do so. Largely because they are quickly reaching the point where it will become impossible to go any smaller. Once they reach that point it will require a whole new way of making chips, likely without silicone, which will again make things more expensive.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

Not accurate. They constantly have to keep spending more and more money on R&D and on investing in new technology. Every time TSMC shrinks a die size, it gets more and more expensive to do so. Largely because they are quickly reaching the point where it will become impossible to go any smaller. Once they reach that point it will require a whole new way of making chips, likely without silicone, which will again make things more expensive.

So explain how the 580 was the same price as the 780 please.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Nvidia have demanded overcharge for a long while now. Their ridiculous Titans and even worse Titan Z has shown that Nvidia just wants to milk the crap out of their customers. But in the end people set the price of their hardware. Just buy the competition or none at all, if you don't think the prices are too high. The customer always dictate the prices with their wallets.

I DO understand his point. Graphics cards are getting beefier, bigger, and a more important part of a pc. Personally I do think we are reaching the limit of that price with 290/780 (non x/ti).

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Hell 2 AMD!!!!!!!!!!!

someones tryin to light the gas tank that is this thread, dis gon be funny

So explain how the 580 was the same price as the 780 please.

It wasn't. At launch, the GTX 580 was $500 and the GTX 780 was $700.  

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

Bound to happen anyway with inflation, R&D, resources becoming more scarce, etc. Hell, people are still complaining about games costing 50 to 60 bucks and want them for 30 bucks maximum. I can't wait until the world collapses on itself.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

It wasn't. At launch, the GTX 580 was $500 and the GTX 780 was $700.  

But the price of the 780 now is comparable. They still make money on it. It is not that they have to sell it for more, it is that they just are asking more. It is like the Titan. That would have been a $700 GPU back when the 580 was released (If the 580 was comparable to a 780) but instead it is $1000. Not because it costs more to make, but because they are making more margins. (don't know how to phrase that better.)

Also like consoles. The xbox 360 and PS3 lost money at launch while the xbox one and PS4 are about breaking even (AFAIK).

Maybe it'll cut down on the trolls here.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013