What consumes more power, screen or CPU?

Anza Power

What usually consumes more power in a device like cellphone tablet or portable console? the display screen or the CPU?

And please no "it depends on x, y and z, it can be both this and that", I want a straight answer...

....then you dont mind lies i guess, so lets take.. screenm because you want a straight answer no matter if its actually always true or not

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Screen. It's constantly refreshing and uses a lot of power to run the lights, change pixels, the boards to process the images, etc. CPU just does basic math so it doesn't consume as much power.

For example, some desktop monitors can draw over a hundred watts, while many CPUs draw under that amount.

Well it does depends. Not every answer is a simple yes or no, or this or that. Depends on the cpu and it depends on the monitor in question. My monitor uses 72 watts and my cpu (if I wasn't overclocking) uses 84 watts.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

And please no "it depends on x, y and z, it can be both this and that", I want a straight answer...

^^^^ Cannot answer without doing this

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Pretty sure it's the screen, don't quote me on this though.

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

They were talking about this on the radio the other day, they concluded that its the screen.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

2llkcxl.jpg The straight answer, does depend on x, y and z...

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Screen. It's constantly refreshing and uses a lot of power to run the lights, change pixels, the boards to process the images, etc. CPU just does basic math so it doesn't consume as much power.

For example, some desktop monitors can draw over a hundred watts, while many CPUs draw under that amount.

Seriously?

Modern displays between 22-27 inches consume 25-30 watts.Where did you find those monitors?

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

Then I can't help you. That's like saying which gets better millage a Chevy or a Ford but don't bother with the different models I want a "straight" answer.

Seriously?

Modern displays between 22-27 inches consume 25-30 watts.Where did you find those monitors?

The past. I only used it as an example.

Seriously?

article-2531324-1A58194000000578-11_634x

The simple answer is the screen but there are exceptions. Exceptions to this rule include:

1. your phone/tablet is on standby (screen off, no power consumed by it.)

2. you have a virus that taxes your cpu (this happened to me recently, I burned through my entire battery in 5 hours on standby until I got rid of it)

3. you have the mobile hotspot feature on your phone turned on

4. you have some program that heavily taxes your cpu

But yes, 99% of the time the screen uses a lager percentage of the battery than anything else. You can see this on android devices under the battery tab in the settings menu.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

This is such s bad answer. You're takint the worst case senario, a crt vs a ulv cpu. From my experience, most screens are led or led backlit so they don't consume much power whereas a cpu drains more power. Easy example is using the Facebook app vs browsing websites in a browser, Facebook will be constantly using your cpu, using more power while browsing is just mostly keeping the screen on.

Screen. Smartphone CPU's do whatever they can do to not consume much power and on top of that, they are already pretty efficient.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

If it's a large CRT, then the screen uses more power...

else it's the CPU which can take around 100W on full load.

Generally your screen uses more power than any other part of your device. The more pixels on your device, the more power is ultimately consumed. CPUs are also getting more and more efficient with power. If you're running a full screen app that's using 100% of your CPU but also have your screen on max brightness then it might be harder to say which will drain your battery more. Also depends on your CPU. there is no straight answer I'm sorry.

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

This is such s bad answer. You're takint the worst case senario, a crt vs a ulv cpu. From my experience, most screens are led or led backlit so they don't consume much power whereas a cpu drains more power. Easy example is using the Facebook app vs browsing websites in a browser, Facebook will be constantly using your cpu, using more power while browsing is just mostly keeping the screen on.

They wanted an answer, I gave them an answer.

In a mobile device, it's the screen. In a desktop (Not sure about laptop) it depends on what CPU and what screen you have. (If you have a tiny little atom and a giant 4k monitor, your screen is gonna use more power. If you have a power sucking CPU and a small LED screen your CPU is gonna use more power.)

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

Most likely screen. Unless your CPU is taxed and you have an AMOLED screen with one pixel lit.

"Rawr XD"