Who thinks MSI Gaming brand is now better than ASUS ROG

Been thinking recently, both are red and black theme but MSI charges less while still maintaining the same core funcionality as the ROG boards minus a few small features that not everyone uses, and also don't have quite the same the terrible customer service/RMA rep that ASUS does.

The 'Gaming' cards look good, perform well, are well priced and sell well, the same can be said for the 'Gaming' boards.

MSI's Gaming 5 Z97 board is ~20% less money than the cheapest ASUS ROG Z97 board at my retailer.

These boards are basically the same apart from the aesthetic and the price.

1195fb0fdc34706ef44465dad5327693.png

c21a0e5272625c88a8be792e519bcda1.png

632c1237ed24173026aa467d9fe169ae.png

03576038a21b7d3248936945eee0f4d9.png

I don't have a vendor bias, right now my motherboard is from ASUS, my GPU is from MSI, my previous system had a Gigabyte motherboard and a Sapphire Radeon card in it.

I personally would take MSI's 'Gaming' items over the equivalent ASUS every time now, for GPUs and for motherbords, I think they look better and are better value.

I think ASUS will still take the prize, but I bet that MSI's share is significantly higher than it was before they started the red and black 'Gaming' brand because I am of the opinion that a lot of the success of ROG is down to the aesthetic alone.

What does the forum think?

Please bear in mind, I am only comparing the two brands 'Gaming' and 'ROG', I am not comparing ANYTHING ELSE about the 2 companies, not even their other motherboard/GPU products on the same chipset/generation.

Asus is still nice BUT msi is winning me over because of the price point.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

ITX = ROG

all the rest = MSI 

ROG is kinda overpriced, only their ITX board is really better then other ITX boards

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

I can't bring myself to buy anything MSI, there's just something about the Asus boards that I love.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

I do believe that the Gaming boards are more cost efficient but the ROG boards are only there to add those extra features at the higher price. I'd take the MSI Gaming version of any GPU over the DCUII. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

To be honest, Gaming cards are pretty loud and hot. 
Motherboards are really cool even though I don't like the Z97 models.
The Z87 models G45 and GD65 with the dragon heatsinks were much better. 

ROG cards are the best looking ones imo. 
(I have one of these) 
post-54843-0-55139400-1407151265.jpg

post-54843-0-55139400-1407151265.jpg

SuperNova: CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k @4.6 GPU: Sapphire R290 Tri-x @1200, @1350, MOBO: MSI Z87 G45 Gaming, RAM: 16Gb HyperX Fury White @1866, PSU: CORSAIR TX750M, CASE: Arc Midi R2, SSD: Kingston 120gb SSD, 
COOLING:
H100i w/ 2x Nb eLoop 800rpm

Check out my build log Black Dawn Check out my build log Supernova

With ROG I feel like I'm paying more for all those features that I simply don't need, wifi, bluetooth, those little add-in adapters and modules. I just want a simple motherboard that runs well and allows me to do some overclocking, which most boards do now so I really don't see the need for all those ROG features.

I own the MSI gaming 9 ac motherboard really like it, only complaint is that there are three different led colours on it, green on power and reset, and two small blue debug leds plus the red leds on the heatsinks. I chose it because I liked the design and I got a really good deal on it from Ebuyer.

Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz | Evga GTX 780 Ti SC ACX with backplate | MSI Gaming 9 AC | 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance Pro Silver 2400 MHz | Corsair H105 128GB Crucial MX100 | Toshiba 2TB | Evga 750G2 | Corsair Obsidian 750d | Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 PWM (3x140mm & 3x120mm)

And here I was reading the reviews sitting around with one and thinking that they are one of the most quiet ones. damn.  :(

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I really like MSI, great price for the performance and features, great looks and design, good reliability

One of my favourites!

And here I was reading the reviews sitting around with one and thinking that they are one of the most quiet ones. damn.  :(

They do, in the video Linus did with the  r9 290x line up it was! the twin frozr is an amazing cooler and it came second, the first being the msi lightning

sinp

I have this motherboard, its fantastic

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I don't really have a preference here. Probably price-wise I'll go with MSI. 

But ROG has been there for a good while, plus my all-time favorite video card is actually this

EDIT: Voted Asus :D 

Asus_Matrix_Radeon_HD_4850_01.jpg

Spoiler

They compare well to other vendors in the reviews I've read.

They compare well to other vendors in the reviews I've read.

I forgot to mention that I was referring to 290 (x) models.

SuperNova: CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k @4.6 GPU: Sapphire R290 Tri-x @1200, @1350, MOBO: MSI Z87 G45 Gaming, RAM: 16Gb HyperX Fury White @1866, PSU: CORSAIR TX750M, CASE: Arc Midi R2, SSD: Kingston 120gb SSD, 
COOLING:
H100i w/ 2x Nb eLoop 800rpm

Check out my build log Black Dawn Check out my build log Supernova

I forgot to mention that I was referring to 290 (x) models.

Sapphire destroys the competition with those cards, yes in comparison the MSI models are definitely inferior.

MSI Gaming < ASUS RoG < MSI Lightning

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

I have to say, as of late (Z77-on), MSI is definitely leading in the design/colour scheme of their boards.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

ITX = ROG

all the rest = MSI

ROG is kinda overpriced, only their ITX board is really better then other ITX boards

Unless you buy open box. $128 for a VII Hero, there's absolutely no competition :)

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

/Snip

Honestly lately I've been finding Gigabyte "gaming" boards more appealing than Asus ROG... 

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

I have a ROG motherboard. I bought it over the MSI purely because of aesthetics. Both are very nice, and are unlikely to have problems, it comes down to whether you are willing to pay the extra money for a nicer looking board.

Although I will be buying an MSI GPU next over the Asus. :)

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I'm still with ASUS here, MSI has improved their asthetics quite a bit, but I'm just not a fan of this dragon theme stuff. We just to be able to buy these bright colored shirts with dragons on them, I have had very bad experiences with them, one might say I'm almost traumatised. 

But in all seriousness here, the ROG asthetic is still a little more pleasent to me. I, however, like the M Power line up a lot more than any ASUS design. 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900