Another 8 core amd cpu bulldozes its way into the stage: Enter the FX 8300 and some athlon

brownninja97

While it's nice to not waste, this is still effectively AMD going "Buy our broken products!" However, the lack of a graphics core should help with heat. Shame AMD isn't releasing anything wow worthy as of late, though. My 2500K is 3 years old and AMD isn't exactly getting me hyped up over their product for when the time comes to upgrade.

..if the price is right, that could change opinions. :P

If I couldn't convince my dad to replace his old office build based on the Q6600 with an AMD quad-core APU (so he could drop the power cost of a GPU as well as noise and hassle of GPU failure), no way in Hell should any i5 2500k owner be satisfied with one (yet).

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

hahaha so they actualy ended up with so many FX 8 core chip that won't hold a 3.7ghz boost clock to meat the minimum to be an FX-8320 that they launch them as FX-8300!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Why does AMD struggle to compete with its competitors, such as Intel and Nvidia, on a power/efficiency standpoint?

Why does AMD struggle to compete with its competitors, such as Intel and Nvidia, on a power/efficiency standpoint?

AMD have to use older tech for longer as they don't have the R&D budget that intel/nvidia have when launching new product lines.

Although I'm impressed with GCNs compute and how far they got with K10.

Perhaps the 860K is AMD's response to the G3258?

As for the 8300 though...well, the AM3+ socket has been kinda dead for a while now.

If the 860k is based on Kaveri, it won't hit 5ghz because it'll have the same issues Kaveri has. There's a few people (like 2) on OCN that are trying for 5+ on liquid or air for a 7850k but there are issues w/these chips. For whatever reason, they have thermal instability and issues with voltage, massive ones. It's like Haswell except worse and I don't know why. I haven't done a ton of research on it seeing as many people don't even care but maybe with this chip, it'll be looked into more.

I'm eager to see more info come out from AMD in general, I guess. Nothing here is a surprise and I'm sure that people still think some things are. I urge you to not be, though.. The only decent thing is the possibility of these CPUs being decently priced compared to their brethren. Quad-core Steamrollers were expensive as balls for what they were, purely because they had a useless iGPU included that no one will ever use (R7 240 situation..). As for the 8320/8350 in comparison to the 8300, I can say with confidence that we won't be seeing a $120 8-core but we do know it'll be cheaper at MSRP than either of those were by a huge margin.

My expectations are $140 for the 8300 (a whopping $9 saving with a massively reduced clock, likely to not OC well) and $110 for the quad-core Athlon. It's funny because the 8-core seems as though its aimed towards gamers that want cheap, high performance due to the 95W TDP, meaning they can get a cheaper mobo. And in the other hand the Athlon has the newer architecture, meaning it has all the benefits of Kaveri minus the graphics cores, which leads me to believe you'd rather have a higher end motherboard for it to make use of OCing. Either way you aren't saving money...

Wait so basically half the die is disabled? 

what a waste of space considering Steamroller is useless (doesn't scale) above anything past 4.5ghz

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

2014 is the year of the rebadge for AMD CPUs(and Intel as well) until late 2015/early 2016. They really have nothing new to offer because of Globalfoundaries and TSMC and Intel is just lagging like AMD because they can.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

@Ren 

If the 860k is based on Kaveri, it won't hit 5ghz because it'll have the same issues Kaveri has. There's a few people (like 2) on OCN that are trying for 5+ on liquid or air for a 7850k but there are issues w/these chips. For whatever reason, they have thermal instability and issues with voltage, massive ones. It's like Haswell except worse and I don't know why. I haven't done a ton of research on it seeing as many people don't even care but maybe with this chip, it'll be looked into more.

The issue is the process used for the 28nm transistor technology. They used SOI in previous gen CPUs which clocked quite high with voltage.

They moved to SHP with 28nm which was designed to allow more space for GPU transistors without having stupid die sizes (a 12cu kaveri is 245mm^2 from memory which is like 70mm^2 below the FX8350 which has half as many transistors (1.2b vs 2.4b).

The downside was SHP doesn't clock as high as SOI which is why we're not seeing 4.5ghz+ CPUs.

I'm eager to see more info come out from AMD in general, I guess. Nothing here is a surprise and I'm sure that people still think some things are. I urge you to not be, though.. The only decent thing is the possibility of these CPUs being decently priced compared to their brethren. Quad-core Steamrollers were expensive as balls for what they were, purely because they had a useless iGPU included that no one will ever use (R7 240 situation..). As for the 8320/8350 in comparison to the 8300, I can say with confidence that we won't be seeing a $120 8-core but we do know it'll be cheaper at MSRP than either of those were by a huge margin.

My expectations are $140 for the 8300 (a whopping $9 saving with a massively reduced clock, likely to not OC well) and $110 for the quad-core Athlon. It's funny because the 8-core seems as though its aimed towards gamers that want cheap, high performance due to the 95W TDP, meaning they can get a cheaper mobo. And in the other hand the Athlon has the newer architecture, meaning it has all the benefits of Kaveri minus the graphics cores, which leads me to believe you'd rather have a higher end motherboard for it to make use of OCing. Either way you aren't saving money...

It's because of the manufacturing process used to make them. AMD settled with 28 SHP which would help with GPU transistor density. Kaveri has a 85% higher transistor count than Richland/Trinity. The manufacturing process lacks features such as thick metal stacks which hinders high clocks. So in short Kaveri wasn't designed to overclock well at all. AMD is hoping that HSA will make up for the lack of high clocks that they couldn't achieve with the chip. Tho all is not lost with Kaveri due to the CPU not overclocking well. The iGPU on the A10-7850k can punch 300+ MHz more than the stock frequency out of the box. Which leads to some pretty nice performance numbers in gaming.

Kaveri_OC_batman.png

Kaveri_OC_bf4.png

Kaveri_OC_binf.png

Kaveri_OC_mll.png

Kaveri_OC_sleepingdogs.png

Kaveri_OC_tombraider.png

Tho of course none of that matters for the 860k since the iGPU is completely disabled.  :P

AS far as I know, AMD has been providing a 8300/8100 chip for OEM manufacturers since the launch of bulldozer. This class of chip was never released to the market until now.

but what is the performance? hhmmm.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

If it overclocks reasonably well (say getting it to 4.0-4.2) I'll definitely look hard at the 8300 since I was thinking about an 8320 with an AIO already so if I can save even more and get up there in performance with a bit less power even better.

But from what I skimmed through it likely wont overclock very well right?

-------

Current Rig

-------

While it's nice to not waste, this is still effectively AMD going "Buy our broken products!"

Intel does the same thing. Read up on cpu binning

It comes down to having the cash for R+D, for the last 10 years they have been struggling financially.   

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Well, it's not the 8-core FX-85xx Steamroller we were hoping for, but it should give the new Pentium a serious run for its money in the budget gaming space.

the 860K or the previous 760k and 750K was born from the broken APUs that they made

some came out of the APU production and found to have broken iGPU

so instead of throwing them away 

they just rebadge it as Athlon X4

do you have any sources I would like to know them you are basically saying all 750k and 760k are APU with broken iGPU 

nevermind 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650