Show off your latest purchases

32 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Ohhh.  I think I've seen those somewhere.  Sort of a DIY eGPU setup?    

Does that just work with some laptops or any with an expresscard slot?

it's a huge massive question mark for most machines

if you have an expresscard slot it can work but is sketchy especially with AMD GPUs. 

idk

Decided to buy an Amazon Echo this morning. Looking at smart thermostats also. 

I read the article earlier this month talking about how Mark Zuckerberg automated his home as close to Tony Starks as he could. Inspired me to try and do the same. 

EDIT: Since posting this I just impulse purchased this :dry:

Current Build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 // Mobo: Ryzen AM4 B350 GAMING PLUS ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz // GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB // SSD: Kingston A400 120GB // HDD: 3 x WD Blue 1TB // PSUCorsair 650M // Case: Corsair 450D // Monitor: LG Ultrawide 29" IPS

Plex Server:

CPU: AMD FX 8350 Black Edition // Mobo: Gigabyte - GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 Micro ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz // GPU: GeForce GTX 670 // HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB // PSU: Kolink Core Series 500W 80 Plus Certified // Case: AVP Viper Mini Tower

Other:

PS4 Pro // PS3 // Nintendo Switch (Pokemon edition) // Nintendo 3DS // Xbox 360 // iPhone 8 Plus // Macbook Retina 2013

7 hours ago, Droidbot said:

it's a huge massive question mark for most machines

if you have an expresscard slot it can work but is sketchy especially with AMD GPUs. 

My old laptop has an expresscard slot.  But the only thing I ever used it for was  USB 3.0 card that didn't ever work correctly.  I think because it needs ac power to fully power even one of the ports and either it doesn't include a power cable or just not an ac wall brick.  

I just know I don't seem to have a ac cord for it (or might've lost it) and last year when I tried to use a USB 3.0 external HDD with it the HDD was having some serious errors and like showing as corrupted in Windows or not showing as plugged in I think.  I wasn't 100% certain what was happening but I think either the HDD I bought was defective or the USB 3.0 card broke it or due to insufficient power to the external HDD maybe that was causing false errors.  

No idea exactly which so I just exchanged the external drive for a new one where I'd bought it and stuck to using the USB 2.0 ports on the laptop.

I have no idea if a PCIE adapter would work.  It's a 2010 year Sager laptop.  NP8690 I think if you're curious.  

Not that it really matters at this point.  I have newer desktops with much better gaming performance.  

Though someday I would love to get something like a Razor laptop or another that supports an eGPU enclosure by default.  I just think an eGPU on a laptop is a really cool idea.  

6 hours ago, Rhyss said:

Decided to buy an Amazon Echo this morning. Looking at smart thermostats also. 

I read the article earlier this month talking about how Mark Zuckerberg automated his home as close to Tony Starks as he could. Inspired me to try and do the same. 

EDIT: Since posting this I just impulse purchased this :dry:

Careful.  IoT devices don't seem to have great security.  I'd suggest making sure you have or get some sort of network wide firewall to protect against malicious use of your echo.  

I'm curious if that vacuum thing is any good.  I know a Roomba is rather expensive but this isn't so I hope it works ok.  

8 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Will a HDD for it be easy and cheap to find?  

yes

11 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Can you please let me know how those speakers sound?    I've been wanting to get some speakers to replace the built-in ones on my VG248QE (which sound fine to me but I assume there's better) but all the speakers I've seen are either cheap and iffy or stuff like that where it's 2 speakers and that woofer thingy but cables would make placement a pain.  

Wireless like that might actually be doable for me.  

What mouse is that?    It looks really nice.  

Mouse is the G502 from Logitech, the scroll wheel is amaziiinnnggg. 

As for the speakers, the sound is pretty decent for $100. Af first I thought the bass was a little weak, but a tweak soon fixed that. System itself is wired (I so need to cable manage my desk properly), got it mostly to be able to pair my phone in bed for music. Bluetooth volume is quieter than wired. 

oh you know , some fans 

Unbenannt.PNG

tfw the official noctua store is the cheapest on ebay and has the best shipping ... fukn hell 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Waiting for it to arrive... I got a SMSL SA-98E off Amazon, hopefully it'll be here today...

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

6 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

oh you know , some fans 

Unbenannt.PNG

tfw the official noctua store is the cheapest on ebay and has the best shipping ... fukn hell 

Let us know how you find the redux series! 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Just now, Nup said:

those will be my first noctua fans , and they will pull server duty , but i will tell how they are (noise , airflow etc, compared to  an Arctic F12) 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

8 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

those will be my first noctua fans , and they will pull server duty , but i will tell how they are (noise , airflow etc, compared to  an Arctic F12) 

I also upgraded that way (from f12's to noctuas)! The 3000 rpm ip68 monster was so overkill iv been using it as a stylish bathroom extractor for three years now :P

A server will be an ample proving ground tho! Looking forward to more, have heard so little about this line of theirs  

15 minutes ago, Nup said:

Isn't the redux series an older fan design though?  

59 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Mouse is the G502 from Logitech, the scroll wheel is amaziiinnnggg. 

As for the speakers, the sound is pretty decent for $100. Af first I thought the bass was a little weak, but a tweak soon fixed that. System itself is wired (I so need to cable manage my desk properly), got it mostly to be able to pair my phone in bed for music. Bluetooth volume is quieter than wired. 

Awesome, thank you.  

I've been looking for a better mouse to get.  I'm still using the cheap mouse that came with my main desktop.

It's reasonably comfy but feels cheap.  Like I might break it if I squeezed too hard.  lol

You mean the three speakers are wired to each other? 

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Isn't the redux series an older fan design though?  

I think they're standard designs, but with less premium material iirc.

But could very well be an older design without the little groves and the likes. 

Just re-watched Linus' video on them, and yep your right, they're older models too :)

13 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

What's that about?

I know I've heard the title but I can't remember what it is. 

It's an anime/song/game/manga.  

Basically there's this other world.  You have these beings that fight for you, basically keep your inner demons or whatever shit your going through in check.

Black Rock Shooter goes around killing everyone else's other beings so that they are freed from the stuff troubling them.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

13 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

You didnt already have Windwaker?

I got my Wii U a month or so ago

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

My old laptop has an expresscard slot.  But the only thing I ever used it for was  USB 3.0 card that didn't ever work correctly.  I think because it needs ac power to fully power even one of the ports and either it doesn't include a power cable or just not an ac wall brick.  

I just know I don't seem to have a ac cord for it (or might've lost it) and last year when I tried to use a USB 3.0 external HDD with it the HDD was having some serious errors and like showing as corrupted in Windows or not showing as plugged in I think.  I wasn't 100% certain what was happening but I think either the HDD I bought was defective or the USB 3.0 card broke it or due to insufficient power to the external HDD maybe that was causing false errors.  

No idea exactly which so I just exchanged the external drive for a new one where I'd bought it and stuck to using the USB 2.0 ports on the laptop.

I have no idea if a PCIE adapter would work.  It's a 2010 year Sager laptop.  NP8690 I think if you're curious.  

Not that it really matters at this point.  I have newer desktops with much better gaming performance.  

Though someday I would love to get something like a Razor laptop or another that supports an eGPU enclosure by default.  I just think an eGPU on a laptop is a really cool idea.  

Careful.  IoT devices don't seem to have great security.  I'd suggest making sure you have or get some sort of network wide firewall to protect against malicious use of your echo.  

I'm curious if that vacuum thing is any good.  I know a Roomba is rather expensive but this isn't so I hope it works ok.  

I have an Elitebook 2570p - one of the nicest laptops I've owned in years. This little thing (12.5") has support for quad-core processors on par with a desktop i5 (socketed cpu!), 16GB of RAM, dual HDD/SSD with raid1/0 possible, external sata ports and egpu support. 

pretty much I can throw it into my schoolbag, go to school, then go to my dad's place and instead of stealing his horribly antiquated i7 1st gen and 650Ti setup, I can just dock my laptop into the docking station to charge and then plug the gpu in and bam

downside: it works with newer nvidia gpus and amd cards but you have to buy a tool called 'egpu setup' or make your own memory override in windows. otherwise you're limited to fermi and kepler cards. 

idk

I bought 1 UniFi AP AC Long Range, 1 TP-Link PCI-E wifi card, 1 Switch, an Intel Celeron G1480, 1 mobo

2 hours ago, Nup said:

I think they're standard designs, but with less premium material iirc.

But could very well be an older design without the little groves and the likes. 

Just re-watched Linus' video on them, and yep your right, they're older models too :)

Too bad..  I've heard good things about Noctua but I hate the brown fans of theirs. The grey would be much better but I wouldn't want them because the brown is thr better design.  So I can either have their better fans or a color I like but not both together.  ?

2 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

It's an anime/song/game/manga.  

Basically there's this other world.  You have these beings that fight for you, basically keep your inner demons or whatever shit your going through in check.

Black Rock Shooter goes around killing everyone else's other beings so that they are freed from the stuff troubling them.

Sounds cool.  ?

2 hours ago, Minibois said:

I got my Wii U a month or so ago

Ah.  Have fun with Zelda.  There's also Twilight Princess HD on there and Hyrule Warriors if you'd be interested.  

43 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

I have an Elitebook 2570p - one of the nicest laptops I've owned in years. This little thing (12.5") has support for quad-core processors on par with a desktop i5 (socketed cpu!), 16GB of RAM, dual HDD/SSD with raid1/0 possible, external sata ports and egpu support. 

pretty much I can throw it into my schoolbag, go to school, then go to my dad's place and instead of stealing his horribly antiquated i7 1st gen and 650Ti setup, I can just dock my laptop into the docking station to charge and then plug the gpu in and bam

downside: it works with newer nvidia gpus and amd cards but you have to buy a tool called 'egpu setup' or make your own memory override in windows. otherwise you're limited to fermi and kepler cards. 

Sounds like a really nice laptop.  

Does that eGPU setup thing cost much?

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Too bad..  I've heard good things about Noctua but I hate the brown fans of theirs. The grey would be much better but I wouldn't want them because the brown is thr better design.  So I can either have their better fans or a color I like but not both together.  ?

Sounds cool.  ?

Ah.  Have fun with Zelda.  There's also Twilight Princess HD on there and Hyrule Warriors if you'd be interested.  

Sounds like a really nice laptop.  

Does that eGPU setup thing cost much?

$50 AUD/$37 USD. You need a GPU and a PSU, obviously, but hey, it's cheap. 

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

$50 AUD/$37 USD. You need a GPU and a PSU, obviously, but hey, it's cheap. 

That's good it doesn't cost much to get.  

That would be annoying if it was super expensive.  

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

That's good it doesn't cost much to get.  

That would be annoying if it was super expensive.  

There is a higher end option that used to be able to do PCIe 2x + compression (total 12Gbps possible)

$110.. I think I'll just take my $50 one and keep with it haha..

There is a 30 percent performance drop with the external GPU, but that's the price of portability I guess

idk

5 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Awesome, thank you.  

I've been looking for a better mouse to get.  I'm still using the cheap mouse that came with my main desktop.

It's reasonably comfy but feels cheap.  Like I might break it if I squeezed too hard.  lol

You mean the three speakers are wired to each other? 

Both speakers plug directly into the sub, there is also a hardwired control pod to adjust volume and pair BT devices attached to the sub. 

11 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Both speakers plug directly into the sub, there is also a hardwired control pod to adjust volume and pair BT devices attached to the sub. 

Ah.  Ok.  

19 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Too bad..  I've heard good things about Noctua but I hate the brown fans of theirs. The grey would be much better but I wouldn't want them because the brown is thr better design.  So I can either have their better fans or a color I like but not both together.  

They aren't "bad" - they are an older design, without the fancy stuff like rubber mounting (and the adapters aren't included I think, but don't quote me on that).

Saying they are bad because they are last years model is like saying the 2015 model of a Porsche 911 is bad just because the 2016 model came out^^ They do lack some features, but they are still solid fans.

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

On 17.1.2017 at 7:40 PM, Nup said:

well they just arrived and swiftly got put in the server , they come in a neat little box that contains nothing but the fan and the screws

photo_2017-01-19_15-49-40.jpg

construction is incredibly solid , and the magnet is surprisingly strong 

photo_2017-01-19_15-49-29.jpg

as for noise? well what noise? the entire server under full load is DEAD SILENT , i have to open the case to see if the fans are spinning 

photo_2017-01-19_15-49-45.jpg

(fans are at 50% , cpu coolers are Arctic Freezer 7´s , chipset cooler is an old intel stock cooler , in and outtake are noctua redux fans and the psu sports a silentwings fan from bequiet , as its a bequiet powersupply) 

overall i can reccomend these fans to anyone who wants very high quality pwm fans from noctua ,

the cables are sleeved while being nice and long ,

build quality is excellent , the amount of air they push is aswell while staying incredibly silent 

and they where affordable as well 

the 120mm was 13.90€ and the 92mm was 11.90€ , both bought on the official noctua ebay outlet 

PSU Tier list