Yet another Ubisoft graphics downgrade - AC: Unity

thewhitestig

Dammit, this thread...

There's no evidence for a downgrade yet everybody is freaking the hell out.

This game actually looks phenomenal, especially the lighting the devs use (everything is physical based and they even added Global Illumination ffs).

I won't buy this game either on PC because of Uplay but there's no reason to talk shit about Unity as of right now.

144Hz goodness

@Ineko

You are retarded.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

You...you guys actually saw the unfinished textures and the obvious unfinished work of the devs. At E3 a very well made snip bit of the world that the devs made look very nice was shown. In this trailer they showed unfinished parts of the world. Sure, I saw that the mob character textures sucked but I have to state one thing:

IT'S PRE-RELEASE AND YOU ARE COMPARING IT TO VERY REFINED E3 FOOTAGE.

Now can everyone just get that into their minds? Please!

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

I'm not sure how people still buy Ubisoft games. Making "Next-Gen" games look like Xbox 360 release titles is enough to piss me off and sell every existing Ubisoft game.

Game Dev | Pro Gamer

Compelling argument. 10/10

Thanks. I try.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Just do not buy Ubisoft games. let's make them do good games not shities like watch dogs. I am sure this shit will be much worse at launch!  Ubisoft must benkrupt, not crytek. They always made games graphically the best ones that lasted 2-3 years. Remember crysis 1 it was released in 2007 and do you remember it's graphics? it was the best until crysis 2 was released. this one was the best until crysis 3 and from release date until today crysis 3 is the best graphics game!

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

I rarely pull this card, but gameplay > graphics. 

AC games since AC2 have blown me away not by their graphics, but by their authentic worlds. Unity looks just as outstanding, and it's a new historical period to explore. 

And the previous AC release had/has pretty great graphics already. Unless they somehow manage to make the graphics worse than black flag, the graphics will be excellent.

while AC4 got a lot of hate, IMO it was hands down one of the best looking games to come out in the past few years. Amazing lighting, foliage, water, weather effects. And definitely better looking than watch_dogs :)

I certainly won't be pre-ordering unity, but if the PC version doesn't turn out to be another watch_dogs I'll consider getting it.

On one side I want Far Cry 4 and AC: Unity. The idea behind the games is fun and something I could enjoy.

On the other side, it's Ubisoft and Watch:Dogs looked amazingly promising when it was revealed and I wanted it so bad and now I don't want to buy it unless it's under 5 euros just to test the graphics mods on it.

This is the part where i stop pre-ordering their games, wait for the games to be realeased, see if they pulled a 'Ubisoft'. If not, buy it! If so Pirate it and wait till they get their shit together and buy it on sale or something.  

For those of you who need it spelled out.

1) Everything they said about the graphics has been possible on PCs for over 10 years. Look it up yourself if you don't believe me.
2) Animations are choppy like most consoles games. Animations are processed by the cpu (the gpu renders but the cpu does the calculations) and because consoles have always had weak cpus animations were never as fluid as pure pc or pc optimized games.

3) NPC personality and AI is old news. It takes a bit of dev time but it hasn't been used mostly because console gamers are far more casual and publishers think they are too dumb to play a game where unexpected things happen (because unrestrained NPC ai based on world input in unpredictable. The moment you put limits on it it loses the meaning)

4) Combat system is simple with 2-3 buttons + direction. Average PC gamer can operate 10 keys (including wasd) with the left hand and with the right can easily control direction + 4 buttons on the mouse.
5) 4 player coop....... FOUR! Need i spell this out?

I have to agree with @Ineko. OP and the rest of people jumping on the hate circle-jerk are absolute morons. What downgrade? Seriously! What downgrade? The few new scenes were obviously running in developer environment. This isn't indicative of the final product.

None of us like Ubisoft, but let's stop the blind circle-jerk.

@thewhitestig

@LukaP

@tmcclelland455

@sqwidee

@kuddlesworth9419

@dragosudeki

With that being said people should know by now that video game trailers shown at E3 are nothing more than scripted target renders.

•  i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz • Noctua NHL12 •  Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 •  ASUS GTX 780 DCII 1156/6300 •

•  Kingston HyperX 16GB  •  Samsung 840 SSD 120GB [boot] + 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM •

•  Fractal Design Define R4  •  Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum •  Logitech Wireless Y-RK49  •  Logitech X-530  •

It's not downgraded it just has no AA which no console game has.

The game looks amazing it even has PBR which on PC right now only Star Citizen uses.(Not even Crysis 3 has PBR)

I agree with you that it's not really a downgrade, but are you certain that no console games have AA?

This post from Playstation forums claims otherwise (for PS4, at least): http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Does-PS4-have-Anti-Aliasing/m-p/43345978#M791045

[Rant] I don't think many of you realize how much engineering and design goes into a game like that. When he says the cathedral took a year to finish he wasn't joking. A full team of concept artist, a research team, 3D modelers for the main structure, Modelers for accessories indoors and outdoors, a team responsible solely for textures, another for lighting. Now imagine how many landmarks there are in this game. You also have the different houses that are all based on a couple base designs, but all have to be re-designed so they look unique. There are people responsible for the motion capture and artists to convert that into game charachters. There is an immense database of different sounds, that are all created from scratch. There are composers that write the music, writers for the story line, a ton of research groups for different aspects of the time the game plays in.

Thats just the design aspect. What do you think how much work it is to write a full engine? Again you have different teams responsible for many different aspects of the game.

So even if you do not like a certain company, don't forget just how many people were a part of creating that game! Do you really think the team creating the engine for Watch Dogs was happy, when their boss told them to significantly downgrade what they have been working on for years?

[/Rant]

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

I am sure that if they decide to downgrade the PC version we can once again go into the game files and unlock the full potential of the game. So no worries :)

the bigger worry is performance. They need to get the game working smoothly on pc.

Unlike watchdogs which stutters every few seconds. You can deal with bad graphics but stuttering kills the enjoyment.

"I don't play pixels, I play games."

Anyway, it's running on a PS4 in that video, which means little to no anti-aliasing, and medium-high settings. There's no proof yet that it has been downgraded.

Another note, I thought Watch-Dogs was beautiful and I did side by side it with an Xbox One and PC came out WAY ahead.

Case: Thermaltake Versa H35 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x (@4.0Ghz) Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 | MOBO: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3333Mhz | GPU: MSI ARMOR 8GB OC GTX 1070 | Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO 250GB, 1TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM | PSU: Corsair CX750M

I agree with you that it's not really a downgrade, but are you certain that no console games have AA?

This post from Playstation forums claims otherwise (for PS4, at least): http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Does-PS4-have-Anti-Aliasing/m-p/43345978#M791045

As you can see 99% are post processing AAs that don't even effect performance and just blurs everything out.

On console you don't use real AA because they can barely hit their target resolution.

Newer games on PC use real AA+post proccesing AA.

RTX2070OC 

For those of you who need it spelled out.

1) Everything they said about the graphics has been possible on PCs for over 10 years. Look it up yourself if you don't believe me.

2) Animations are choppy like most consoles games. Animations are processed by the cpu (the gpu renders but the cpu does the calculations) and because consoles have always had weak cpus animations were never as fluid as pure pc or pc optimized games.

3) NPC personality and AI is old news. It takes a bit of dev time but it hasn't been used mostly because console gamers are far more casual and publishers think they are too dumb to play a game where unexpected things happen (because unrestrained NPC ai based on world input in unpredictable. The moment you put limits on it it loses the meaning)

4) Combat system is simple with 2-3 buttons + direction. Average PC gamer can operate 10 keys (including wasd) with the left hand and with the right can easily control direction + 4 buttons on the mouse.

5) 4 player coop....... FOUR! Need i spell this out?

I can understand 4player coop because it's an AC game, but I agree on all the rest. Also don't forget to add that the worst of all this is that it holds back the PC even more than ever before.

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

the bigger worry is performance. They need to get the game working smoothly on pc.

Unlike watchdogs which stutters every few seconds. You can deal with bad graphics but stuttering kills the enjoyment.

No stuttering on my end :) Anyways, I see what you are talking about. A game should run perfectly fine upon release, even if the graphics aren't as good as announced.  

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

As you can see 99% are post processing AAs that don't even effect performance and just blurs everything out.

On console you don't use real AA because they can barely hit their target resolution.

Newer games on PC use real AA+post proccesing AA.

I totally understand what you're saying, but post processed or not, it is still AA though... It smoothes out the jaggies...

I don't think there is any particular downgrade to the graphics, in my own opinion.

The one thing that does catch my eye though is that some of the character animations and movements seem to lack weight. Like the character has no mass or in some cases standing on ice.

Some of the moves in the video are very fast and the timing between various moves in the combos just don't seem realistic compared to previous games.

I could be wrong though  :)

"Let's jump to the hate bandwagon" Hahaha. Fucking assholes.

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

Anyone asking a person to give Ubisoft a chance after all they have done since the Rayman Legends deal with Wii U is an idiot.  Seriously the only way to send this idiotic company a clear message is to buy their games on console USED and if you get them on pc make sure it is in a Humble Bundle or something similar where you can cut them right out of any money.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

"Let's jump to the hate bandwagon" Hahaha. Fucking assholes.

No see the people hating on them are intelligent and have good reasons.  It is people like you that are going to enable Ubisoft to continue to do what they do which is screw gamers.  Seriously be quiet and if you are going to name call it should be reserved for Ubisoft supporters like you.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I will not be buying ANY Ubisoft products until one of two things happens.

1. the end of time

2. they admit what they did and apoligise

Anyone asking a person to give Ubisoft a chance after all they have done since the Rayman Legends deal with Wii U is an idiot.  Seriously the only way to send this idiotic company a clear message is to buy their games on console USED and if you get them on pc make sure it is in a Humble Bundle or something similar where you can cut them right out of any money.

Don't buy them at all, send a clear and resolute message.

If your going to downgrade my experience just because others want to play on console and not feel like they got screwed (the marketing pretends that console is the best when it's not, that's getting screwed), then I'm not going to buy your product.

Do like a company is SUPPOSED to do, and make your product the absolute best it can be, for each platform that it runs on individually.

In other words,

OI, UBI, GET FUCKED

Edit: I don't care what game it is and whether or not it's been downgraded, I bought watchdogs at FULL PRICE, expecting it to look one way, and got it limited to look another. Hence I have been cheated, hence they will get no more of my money.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

No see the people hating on them are intelligent and have good reasons.  It is people like you that are going to enable Ubisoft to continue to do what they do which is screw gamers.  Seriously be quiet and if you are going to name call it should be reserved for Ubisoft supporters like you.

This is a thread about AC: Unity being downgraded which as far as I can tell it has not, it has nothing to do with if it will or  if you hate or love ubisoft. I stopped buying their games a long time ago, because of their poor pc support, but that isn't the point at hand. We are not supporting ubisoft by saying that its stupid to hate someone for something that hasn't happened yet, no matter how likely it is to happen. If you want to hate ubisoft go ahead hate them but do it with valid reasons like watch_dogs. The people hating here for AC being downgrade are being stupid and just jumping on the bandwagon