Chrome uses more power than it needs to

Good up for google for making the browsing experience as fast as possible for us.

I am a happy wuffy

doesn't seem to be making a difference to my clock speeds or temps on my desktop

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I've been using Opera for over a year now, still no issues and I can install any 3rd party extensions with ease.

meh as long as my browser is fast I don't really care

Why do people even care, human reaction time is not fast enough to record the difference between browsers.  at the end of the day maybe you spent in total an extra 10 seconds waiting for it to respond.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Reason to use Safari. On Mac that has been said to be better, but every time Chrome is open, even when it is not even being used, it shows up as using significant energy in the battery menu...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

It can use all my processor and ram if it makes browsing faster

It has all of my permission to use my rig as it sees fit to maximise performance

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

It can use all my processor and ram if it makes browsing faster

It has all of my permission to use my rig as it sees fit to maximise performance

Yes but you are in the lower percentile with a powerful machine and you're not on a mobile platform like a laptop that has its battery life decreased by this.

Yes but you are in the lower percentile with a powerful machine and you're not on a mobile platform like a laptop that has its battery life decreased by this.

except for all the laptops that I own......

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

except for all the laptops that I own......

That makes it worse lol if you're cool with it running out of power prematurely due to the browser.

That makes it worse lol if you're cool with it running out of power prematurely due to the browser.

It uses 25% more power than other browsers, it does not increase overall power consumption of the whole computer just the power used by the browser alone which are generally pretty light on the battery anyway, so its not like it is halving the battery life of my devices. Besides, when I am running on battery power I am generally not at home/inside and have limited internet access

At home/friends house/lan/hotel, 90% of the time I use ethernet

Besides now I know this, I can use IE or Safari or whatever if I need to maximise battery life, and chrome for speed

I just dont see it as a major issue, at least not for me or how I use my equiptment

I think Google should let us choose: "Fast? Your PC will bleed" "Slow? Your PC won't bleed"

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

I've been using chrome on my HP laptop for years. I notice the spike in processor usage and my ram goes to about 50% all of a sudden but it doesn't have that much of an effect on my battery which is weird. Anyways I don't mind chrome is the browser im so unaccustomed to i cant use any other without being fustrated

CPU: i7 4790K-----GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming + MSI GTX 980 TWINFROZR ------MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 7-------RAM: Klevv Genuine 2400MHz-------PSU: EVGA 850W SuperNOVA G2-------CASE: Phanteks Enhtoo Luxe

I see a good 3 to 5 degrees difference between idling with Chrome doing absolutely nothing, just sitting minimized and closing chrome and the computer sitting on idle but on, so I believe this is plausible. I also believe that the alternative to closing chrome when not in use is to use Firefox which will leak memory and cause worst system instability when on idle doing nothing, so really like I said and ranted before, there seems to be no decent fucking choice of browser for windows now.

Chrome is much worse of memory than FF but you are right about the stability thing

I see a good 3 to 5 degrees difference between idling with Chrome doing absolutely nothing, just sitting minimized and closing chrome and the computer sitting on idle but on, so I believe this is plausible. I also believe that the alternative to closing chrome when not in use is to use Firefox which will leak memory and cause worst system instability when on idle doing nothing, so really like I said and ranted before, there seems to be no decent fucking choice of browser for windows now.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

I like the reason, more faster = more better. Screw a few degrees / watts I sacrificed that when I overclocked to get more performance anyway.

I use IE on my laptop anyway because touchscreen support is sooo much better. Which I guess is the primary concern.

This doesn't actually concern me. My desktop doesn't care about this, and on my laptop chrome is so slow to use that I have to use Firefox anyways.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Figured something like that was happening. My temps go up a bit when browsing chrome.

Isn't that what the "hardware acceleration" option does though?

OH.

So after all this time, this is why keeping chrome open in the background resulted in higher performance in Crysis 3 for users having unusual performance issues.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

And people don't believe me when I say how Chrome destroys battery life on your mobile computer.

And while you might say "I have a desktop, I don't care", yes you do care, as your system runs hotter, and noisier over a period of time, and electricity is not free.

I usually have around 30+ tabs open at all times...  Chrome is perfect for my needs.  Sometimes more power consumption and greater heat output is necessary for the performance we expect.