Chrome uses more power than it needs to

Opera is my new Chrome. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I use chrome. I have 8GB in my laptop and 16GB in my computer and i don't care if it uses a little more power as power doesn't cost much here.

i7 2640Q in my laptop and 8350 in my computer so i don't feel the lag.

#CHROME MASTER RACE

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Google Chrome is for plebs, Firefox master race

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

I use opera on desktop and mobile. I've been using it on desktop for long time and never had major problems. It's really fast and responsive, also I use it with many tabs in session whole day without reopening it. No problem running multiple heavy content web pages.

Ofc I've been using Chrome and Ff here and there when bigger and better versions were released, but nothing worth it really to make me switch.

IE is great, it can feel the fastest sometimes, specially on heavy flash based sites and buffering for videos, but it's tab UI is not so responsive.

Anyway, Opera doesn't get enough attention imo.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

For a time I used Firefox, then Chrome and now Opera. Opera is personally my favourite of the three. I have Nightly downloaded just in case and to test it, but Opera is my favourite. Opera is not power consuming and it runs the best overall that I've seen. I've never had an issue with Opera before. Performance is fantastic and the resources it uses isn't even a portion of most browsers.

tried firefox

crashed once about 30 minutes

went back to chrome

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

tried firefox

crashed once about 30 minutes

went back to chrome

When was this?

My Firefox very rarely crashes, and when it does it's 100% the fault of something new (Aurora channel) or because of an addon.

makes no difference to me i have plenty of ram and cpu power lol and i love the chrome sync between all my devices 

My PC specs are CPU: 6700k @4.7Ghz Ram: 16GB Corsair RGB Pro GPU: RTX 2070  PSU: RM650 CPU cooler: corsair H150 Case: corsair Motherboard: ASUS Z270 Pro SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 EVOand SK Hynix 1TB

i make my judgement from youtube experience,i watch a looot of content and chrome is the least worst browser for that

So you are saying that Google Chrome works best with Google Youtube!!!

Hurr, there must be a connection but I just can't find it.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

When was this?

My Firefox very rarely crashes, and when it does it's 100% the fault of something new (Aurora channel) or because of an addon.

'bout a year or two ago. but I never bothered to use it again

chrome is perfect to me

everytime I need to reinstall my windows, I just sing in with my gmail account and all my bookmarks, add ons and history gets transfered to me :)

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

I've had no issues with Chrome, and while it's on my SSD, it never freezes/lags, and I don't even have a super fast PC, so I'm fine with it. Firefox and IE however are slower to start up, load up pages and download items. Just my experience over the last few years, not saying either is better than the other.

Same. And even on my old laptops, I found chrome to be the quickest.

just made the switch to firefox from chrome and freed up over 3gb's of ram :DDD

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

The original article: http://onforb.es/Ua4e9l

Google Chrome, unlike other browsers, sets it's tick rate (once every how many milliseconds the processor has to wake) to 1.000ms, while the idle rate is 15.625ms. To put it in simpler numbers, the processor has to wake 64 times per second in idle versus 1000 times per second when running Chrome. This problem is unique to Chrome on Windows. OSX and Linux don't use tick rates and other browsers have gone to dynamically adjusting the tick rate to the load that they are under.

Even on a desktop computer, electricity wasting aside, this might noticeably slow down the computer. On a laptop, the battery will be used up much faster.

I thought everyone knew this??? I used to use Chrome because it's true that it's faster but it would slow my general computing down because it like leaves it up in the background or something.

i5 4590 @ Stock, XFX R9 290!, HyperX Beast 4x8GB  @1600, 850 EVO 120gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, , Asrock H97m Pro 4 , Fractal Design Define R4, Windows 10

This really annoys me because I use chrome on my laptop all the time, like a lot if not most people. But at the same time, I use chrome because it is the fastest. So if I have to take a bit of a hit to battery life to get better web browsing performance, I'm prepared to do it. Its just the fact that when its in the background it dosen't go back to idle. I appreciate the extra performance when I'm using it, but I really don't need it when I have a few tabs open in the background and its just sucking my laptops battery life.

Funnily enough, chrome has a higher tickrate than Battlefield 4 did. At launch, the BF4 tickrate was 10 Hz

No wonder netcode was bad...

"if by "bass" you mean wet farts then yes, those are the razer crapkens"

This really annoys me because I use chrome on my laptop all the time, like a lot if not most people. But at the same time, I use chrome because it is the fastest. So if I have to take a bit of a hit to battery life to get better web browsing performance, I'm prepared to do it. Its just the fact that when its in the background it dosen't go back to idle. I appreciate the extra performance when I'm using it, but I really don't need it when I have a few tabs open in the background and its just sucking my laptops battery life.

I am not seeing any web surfing performance different between Firefox and Chrome. Chrome processes java-script faster, yes, but loading the page that has to do mostly with your wireless card and wireless signal you are getting.

I am not seeing any web surfing performance different between Firefox and Chrome. Chrome processes java-script faster, yes, but loading the page that has to do mostly with your wireless card and wireless signal you are getting.

I just meant overall web browsing performance, not how fast my pages load. How fast it is to use and how consistent it is. While Firefox is of a similar speed to Chrome I personally find it too inconsistent to use. I know not everyone agrees with me, but in my experience Firefox has crashed far more often than Chrome.

I just meant overall web browsing performance, not how fast my pages load. How fast it is to use and how consistent it is. While Firefox is of a similar speed to Chrome I personally find it too inconsistent to use. I know not everyone agrees with me, but in my experience Firefox has crashed far more often than Chrome.

Ah ok. I get you.