Chrome uses more power than it needs to

The original article: http://onforb.es/Ua4e9l

Google Chrome, unlike other browsers, sets it's tick rate (once every how many milliseconds the processor has to wake) to 1.000ms, while the idle rate is 15.625ms. To put it in simpler numbers, the processor has to wake 64 times per second in idle versus 1000 times per second when running Chrome. This problem is unique to Chrome on Windows. OSX and Linux don't use tick rates and other browsers have gone to dynamically adjusting the tick rate to the load that they are under.

Even on a desktop computer, electricity wasting aside, this might noticeably slow down the computer. On a laptop, the battery will be used up much faster.

the reddit post: http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/2apk39/google_chrome_is_killing_your_laptop_battery/

I use firefox anyway on a laptop. It doesn't use up a ridiculous amount of ram. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Yeah, good luck running Chrome on a Dual-core laptop without processes going to hell.

But it's still my prefered browser, I had to run Firefox for about 3 months since my dad's laptop couldn't handle Chrome and I couldn't stand it.

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

Yeah, good luck running Chrome on a Dual-core laptop without processes going to hell.

But it's still my prefered browser, I had to run Firefox for about 3 months since my dad's laptop couldn't handle Chrome and I couldn't stand it.

How couldn't you stand it?

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

It's been a while since I used it, but a lot of extentions I use aren't supported and the interface wasn't as friendly

chrome, 15% cpu load and 1+GB of ram out of 8 right now, and tbh it doesn't bother me because i don't like firefox, ill probably use firefox on low end laptops but on desktops and mid to high range laptops chrome takes the cake, imo

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

i like Safari :(

chrome crashed to much 

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

<-- Still has AOL Dial-up, with embedded browser. "You, got mail!"

I troll

the reddit post: http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/2apk39/google_chrome_is_killing_your_laptop_battery/

I use firefox anyway on a laptop. It doesn't use up a ridiculous amount of ram. 

Except when it leaks it, the thing has so many leaks the efficiently hardly matters.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Chrome is a pile of shit but I still use it coz cbf switching lol

1000ms means 1 second and 16000 ms means 16 seconds. An update every second actually seems slow to me for in use and the 16 in idle looks ok. What is the problem?

I've had no issues with Chrome, and while it's on my SSD, it never freezes/lags, and I don't even have a super fast PC, so I'm fine with it. Firefox and IE however are slower to start up, load up pages and download items. Just my experience over the last few years, not saying either is better than the other. 

PC SPECS: AMD FX-6300 @ 3.5Ghz (CPU) || MSI 970A-G43 (MB) || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz (RAM) || MSI AMD 6870 1GB (GPU) || Aerocool 6th Element (CASE) || Sandisk 64GB SSD + Seagate 500GB HDD (STORAGE) || XFX 550w Pro Series (PSU) || ASUS MX239H 23" (MONITOR) || Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (COOLER) || Logitech G110 (KEYBOARD)

1000ms means 1 second and 16000 ms means 16 seconds. An update every second actually seems slow to me for in use and the 16 in idle looks ok. What is the problem?

It's a little hard to see and I don't know why the OP included the extra 3 zeros, but it's actually once every 1.000 milliseconds, also known as 1 millisecond, while the other is 15.625 ms, or around 16 ms.

1000/15.625 = 64Hz

1000/1 = 1000Hz

And yes, that is a correct usage of Hz.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Not a surprise.  This is why I use Waterfox (64-bit Firefox).

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

It doesn't matter on a lower end PC because it simply won't be able to refresh that fast.It will refresh as often as it can.

The only thing affected is battery life.

I can see why they're doing this though.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Running Chrome on a Windows 8 tablet (single core Intel atom at 1,7 GHz and 2 GB of RAM) with commonly at least 8 tabs open at all times (can go above 20), still the best running browser from my experience.

I used to use Firefox instead of Chrome as my main browser, but Firefox just kept crashing every 5 minutes to every 2 hours, so been running mainly Chrome for the past 2 years.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

On my mac when I use chrome the fan ramps up so much it becomes audible :( Safari works waaaay better

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

Running Chrome on a Windows 8 tablet (single core Intel atom at 1,7 GHz and 2 GB of RAM) with commonly at least 8 tabs open at all times (can go above 20), still the best running browser from my experience.

I used to use Firefox instead of Chrome as my main browser, but Firefox just kept crashing every 5 minutes to every 2 hours, so been running mainly Chrome for the past 2 years.

I guess it depends on how many extensions you run. I run about 8 different ones and it eats up 80% of processes on any dual core I tried running it on.

I guess it depends on how many extensions you run. I run about 8 different ones and it eats up 80% of processes on any dual core I tried running it on.

I'm just running AdBlockPlus, Ghostery and HTTPS everywhere. Doesn't impact performance (not noticeably at least).

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

My firefox has not crashed in a looooooooooooooooooong time and i have about 10 extensions with over 50 tabs open since i first opened the browser. And even them i have a session manager that backs my stuff up which works better than any chrome session manager.

I was using Firefox but just recently it has been being a real cunt, crashing all the time. Chrome has been a bit more stable but I now regularly use around 8gb of ram just browsing. I will go back to FF once I feel it is stable enough again

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

I use opera, after I was using chrome and just gave up on how slow it was making my laptop, even when only 2 tabs were open and it was in the background. I find opera is a lot better on my laptop, and doesn't freeze it or cause any issues.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim