IBM invests $3 billion into 7nm chip research and ‘post-silicon’ technologies

It seems IBM really wants to stay at the top by investing heavily in the future generation of chip manufacturing which can only be good for us consumers as Moore's law is really struggling at the moment. 

One R&D project will look at pushing conventional silicon chips as far as they will go (around 7nm), and the other will be tasked with finding new materials and techniques that can take us even further (quantum computing, carbon nanotubes, graphene, III-V).

But beyond better materials and the ever-shrinking transistor, IBM is also looking into different methods of computation entirely, such as neuromorphic computing (brain-like chips), quantum computing, and silicon photonics/optoelectronics (optical tech built into electronic chips).

The article is from ExtremeTech

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/186048-ibm-plows-3-billion-into-7nm-chip-research-and-post-silicon-technologies

So what do you guys think, when will we see a 7nm consumer chips or even below that and what computational methods are you most interested in?

Oh come on

Stop using orange fonts

is this becoming a thing now ??

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Oh come on

Stop using orange fonts

I'm fine with the orange fonts, as long as the rest are the correct color per theme. The first quote is still dark font, meaning it's hard to read on dark theme.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I think it's gonna be 5-7 before 7nm becomes a thing, at the earliest. I mean, the main processor manufactures are just scratching the surface of 14 still, and those companies take their sweet ass time sometimes

I'm most looking forward to DNA computers.... Had me interested about it for some years now

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

I think it's gonna be 5-7 before 7nm becomes a thing, at the earliest. I mean, the main processor manufactures are just scratching the surface of 14 still, and those companies take their sweet ass time sometimes

I'm most looking forward to DNA computers.... Had me interested about it for some years now

DNA? Heard about it, have no idea bout it :P

I know light is the next stage, bb electrons.

Also, we will soon goodbye polygons. Euclideon is hiring people with game engine, threading, playstation, xbox, iOS, pc, phone ( yes phone imagine that ), linux experience. You know where this is heading :D Unlimited detail games, cant wait to buy 4k monitor.

Oh come on

Stop using orange fonts

Saw it on other posts so I taught it's because of the dark theme users and I did it to make their life easier. Never used the dark theme so idk really what shades of gray/black are problematic. :D  

I'm fine with the orange fonts, as long as the rest are the correct color per theme. The first quote is still dark font, meaning it's hard to read on dark theme.

Is it better now? I don't know if I did anything better but I changed the first quote a little.

DNA computers yes pls

Chromatin is basically an HDD anyway, it just enables read/write of different data sets depending on its shape. Chemistry ftw

Git Gud.

Is it better now? I don't know if I did anything better but I changed the first quote a little.

Perfect. Thanks.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

i can't see anything with orange colour! 

What color would you prefer then?  :P

I'm most looking forward to DNA computers...

If it wasn't on Star Trek, it's not happening

VoyagerStarship.jpg

Lucky for you, this one was in Voyager :)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

If it wasn't on Star Trek, it's not happening

Lucky for you, this one was in Voyager :)

Reality is that a lot of science branches and discoveries are started and inspired by science fiction. 

all colours except orange :D

I'll have that in mind for future posts as there is some strange orange hate going around here.  :D

@Dietrichw it seems your news reporting methods are catching the eyes of a few people ^-^

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

i can't see anything with orange colour! 

Are you Colour Blind by any chance? Or using a non-standard theme? Because the particular shade of Orange he chose should show up quite excellently in both the normal theme as well as Dark theme.

Anyway this is awesome news! IBM has always been at the forefront of R&D. Their labs are cutting edge and always pushing the boundaries.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Oh come on

Stop using orange fonts

Orange is an officially supported LTT color since it is in the theme and branding.  Get used to it or get packing. :P

Are you Colour Blind by any chance? Or using a non-standard theme? Because the particular shade of Orange he chose should show up quite excellently in both the normal theme as well as Dark theme.

Anyway this is awesome news! IBM has always been at the forefront of R&D. Their labs are cutting edge and always pushing the boundaries.

it kinda blows up my vision, i don't like it in the normal theme because it's normally among hot shiny colours like sun! My eyes are prone to sun rays aswell! 

it looks fine on night theme though! :)

sorry for offtopic//

IBM never stops trying, it's a huge successful computer industry! :)