[Rumour] Windows 9 revamped activation system (DRM)

qwertywarrior

Never noticed a difference in the trackpad? Wow. That's the first thing most of my converts notice is how spacious and accurate the trackpad is.

The build quality is still by far the best that I've ever experienced, and the OS is just so damn consistent.

big yes,  accurate no,  I hate track-pads in all their incarnations, I have yet to use one that doesn't feel clumsy and unresponsive. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

big yes,  accurate no,  I hate track-pads in all their incarnations, I have yet to use one that doesn't feel clumsy and unresponsive. 

This almost sounds like you've never used a MacBook trackpad. It responds to the lightest touch and the multi-touch gestures are consistently flawless, unlike on Windows.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/4091/is-linux-a-unix

It's debatable. It's been said that BSD is what you get when you ask engineers to take UNIX and port it to a bunch of different platforms and Linux is what you get when you ask engineers to build UNIX from scratch and port that to a bunch of different platforms. Linux was designed to implement the UNIX specification without using UNIX code.

OS X passes the SUS and Linux is nearly full POSIX compliant, which is what I considered to be "certified UNIX" because as mentioned in the above Stack Exchange thread, Linux can be used to build non-POSIX systems however GNU/Linux can be considered POSIX compliant for all intents and purposes.

POSIX compliant and Unix certified are not the same thing though.

No matter how you twist the words and definitions, GNU/Linux are never Unix certified.

By your logic, Windows is also Unix because it is mostly POSIX complaint with the help of Interix and Cygwin.

POSIX compliant and Unix certified are not the same thing though.

No matter how you twist the words and definitions, GNU/Linux are never Unix certified.

By your logic, Windows is also Unix because it is mostly POSIX complaint with the help of Interix and Cygwin.

I'm not twisting anything. It's UNIX-like and POSIX certified in the default GNU/Linux configuration, unlike Windows. The whole point of GNU/Linux was to create a copylefted clone of UNIX.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

guess ill stick with windows 7 then. i dont want to be forced into getting a special store account. having to have one microsoft account for skype is bad enough. not to mention it will probably force you to constantly stay logged into it if you want windows updates, and for when it will inevitably have to verify activation once per week.

to be fair though, even if it isnt shit i plan on staying with win7 until all the bugs are worked out of it, and then probably still pirate it honestly. i cant afford that crap

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

On one hand I like it, on the other I don't like the mandatory MS account

As it has been mentioned earlier in this thread by many users, it will get cracked, no matter what.

If Microsoft would lower the prices of their operating systems by like 40% or so (permanently), then it probably would get pirated quite a bit less. But we all know M$ would never do such thing...

I dislike this new DRM, with the exception of being able to still keep your licence even when changing motherboards or just doing a complete overhaul in terms of hardware you're using. Could be a lot more well implemented, though.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

I'm not twisting anything. It's UNIX-like and POSIX certified in the default GNU/Linux configuration, unlike Windows. The whole point of GNU/Linux was to create a copylefted clone of UNIX.

It doesn't have any certificate.

It's mostly POSIX compliant and it is Unix-like, but it's not Unix.You said that it was Unix certified which it isn't.

POSIX complaint involves far more things than just the terminal as well. You're probably thinking of bash when you say Unix. Both OS X and most Linux based distros comes with bash as the default cli.

So if i were to replace my motherboard due to it being defective, or i just bought a new one i'm fucked after a few times?

Guess i'm switching to linux in the coming few years, now with SteamOS starting to become more and more supported and linux in general being less shit than windows.

It doesn't have any certificate.

It's mostly POSIX compliant and it is Unix-like, but it's not Unix.You said that it was Unix certified which it isn't.

POSIX complaint involves far more things than just the terminal as well. You're probably thinking of bash when you say Unix. Both OS X and most Linux based distros comes with bash as the default cli.

I realize they both come with bash.

I misspoke, is that good enough for you?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I misspoke, is that good enough for you?

Of course.

It's just that you should be more careful with what you say if you're going to say other people don't know what they are talking about.

Of course.

It's just that you should be more careful with what you say if you're going to say other people don't know what they are talking about.

I can say for certain that this conversation flew right over the heads of 95% of this forum's users so I think we're fine.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Linux here I come, I just need all the games I play to be there now..

CPU: i7 4770k@4.3Ghz GPU: GTX 780ti Motherboard: ROG maximus vi formula PSU: Evga supernova 1000w Platinum

Case: NZXT Switch 810 Memory: g.skill ripjaws X Cooler: Corsair h100i(getting custom loop when i get money next) Storage: Samsung 840 evo 250gb Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: SteelSeries Rival

this is kinda well done but only if the windows site is fast and really well done but anyway some people will find a way around that it doesn't seems that big of a deal

This almost sounds like you've never used a MacBook trackpad. It responds to the lightest touch and the multi-touch gestures are consistently flawless, unlike on Windows.

several times.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I can say for certain that this conversation flew right over the heads of 95% of this forum's users so I think we're fine.

I would say that most user don't actually care what kernel an OS is developed on/from anyway.  If it does what they need then that's all they need to know.

Hackers will still find a way around it. The only way around it is to do what EA did with Sim City and make it fully cloud based, which will never happen because not everyone in the world has internet. 

Give it 2 weeks and it'll be on Piratebay with thousands downloading it. 

PC SPECS: AMD FX-6300 @ 3.5Ghz (CPU) || MSI 970A-G43 (MB) || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz (RAM) || MSI AMD 6870 1GB (GPU) || Aerocool 6th Element (CASE) || Sandisk 64GB SSD + Seagate 500GB HDD (STORAGE) || XFX 550w Pro Series (PSU) || ASUS MX239H 23" (MONITOR) || Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (COOLER) || Logitech G110 (KEYBOARD)

These rumours are getting out of hand, some say microsoft is focusing on power and desktop users and making a seperate tablet os and some are saying that you its full of DRM. I think we should wait till microsoft themselves announces something

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

Slick and Linus just addressed it, and shocker - they are being reasonable and just waiting to see how it actually works.

We know NOTHING of how it will work. At all. I don't get harping on it before we even have anything close to official details about it.

Also, this won't mean you need to be internet connected 24/7. It's most likely gonna check activation online every 1-3 months or somewhere like that and besides, even if activation fails, it will most likely have the same result as it does on Windows 7/8 right now, your background will go black, display the code version and whine to you about activation. You will also only get security updates. Not a huge deal really. But really, how many people don't have a 24/7 internet connection these days (I live in Sweden of course, the promised land of broadband).

My guess is (again, just speculations here) that it will be something like once a day or maybe even more. 1-3 months seems like far too long since you could easily keep the same Windows installed on multiple computers and just circulate which one is legit activated.

It's not that it's one step closer to always-online DRM that scares me. It's all the data it might send back to Microsoft. We already know that Microsoft has ties to the NSA and harvests data from you. Having my OS periodically send some unknown data to Microsoft (and probably the NSA and other spying agencies) sounds like a really bad idea from a privacy standpoint. Not to mention that (according to the rumors) you will need a a Microsoft account. So now Microsoft will have all your data with your name and email attached to it.

several times.

Strange. And this was recent?

I would say that most user don't actually care what kernel an OS is developed on/from anyway.  If it does what they need then that's all they need to know.

This is sad but true. There was a time when the average PC user could tell you more about his rig than both of us combined, being a PC user involved electrical engineering and soldering and computer science among other skills.

There's a saying that you used to have to be a plumber, carpenter, and electrical engineer to build computers because they had to be liquid cooled and the cases had to be built from scratch. No ATX standards back in the early 70s.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

If they manage to lower the prices (haha a dream) I can see this working. I don't really have complaints about activation, as I have only 1 PC, and I almost never reinstall it. Maybe I'll stick with Windows 8.1 in the future for DX12, if W9 gonna be a failure (which, by history learnt, problably will be good OS :P XP (good) - Vista (nah) - 7 (awesome) - 8 (alright) -9

I don't get it why are people against having a Microsoft store account? I have had one since 2006 with the launch of the zune players, so what if you have to have a system image on file, as long as I can transfer a full copy from one config to another i'm happy, in fact this system sounds a hell of a lot easier then  the  old dial in system.

Strange. And this was recent?

Last Monday. actually, I helped a girl get rockband setup so she could record audio.