[Rumour] Windows 9 revamped activation system (DRM)

qwertywarrior

And what about the people who wont use Windows 9 with an internet connection. IDK maybe company's that have an internal Intranet. How will they activate? I assume they will need to still have the old phone activation method meaning its crackable.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Way to shoot yourself in the foot, microsoft. Goddamn, i thought valve was overreacting to drastic changes in windows 8 but clearly the worst was yet to come.

All aboard the linux train!

networknuts-linux-fun.png

Coincidentally a steam train, nicely done.

-------

Current Rig

-------

And that's the final nail in the coffin for me. Windows 8.1 will probably be the last Microsoft OS for me. To OS X I go.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I prefer to type a username and password I know then some 16 digit keys left in the drawer 4 years ago. I don't get why is everybody is on the hate. Anyway it's a thing you'll do once or not at all if you get a new computer (how will this work ?).

I prefer to type a username and password I know then some 16 digit keys left in the drawer 4 years ago. 

Yes, also people looking into stealing your account and license would prefer that as well, seeing how 90% of users will select something stupid like "password" or "12345678"

-------

Current Rig

-------

Yes, also people looking into stealing your account and license would prefer that as well, seeing how 90% of users will select something stupid like "password" or "12345678"

Well if you're stupid enough to chose 123456... Good point :) 

People are over reacting. I for one welcome this new DRM method. You have no idea  how many people I have had to turn down because they pirated Windows, in specific "loaders" and "kms" fake activations.

For the pc enthusiast this new DRM method should be a plus. Why you may ask?

• Activation is done online based on hardware hash values.
  • You can unlicense a computer from your account
  • You can upgrade PC components without deactivating Windows.
  • You no longer need to call Microsoft to reactivate windows due to changing out a motherboard/CPU/chipset because of a platform upgrade
  • Your Windows activation is tied to your user account, meaning it is Permanent. 
  • Have your laptop or device stolen? Deactivate the license from your account, migrate activation to new hardware
  • Better integration with device-account management and possibly anti-theft technology
    • Intel's AT technology and ME come to mind, as well as AMDs new ARM based 'security' co-processor, which is AMDs response to Intel's AT and ME.
  • Larger businesses with Volume Licensing or MAKs can easily track which computers are activated and prevent stolen keys.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

So what exactly is the issue? Maybe if you expressed your concerns in words, rather than a nonsensical video response; we could have a legitimate discussion on the pros and cons.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

So what exactly is the issue? Maybe if you expressed your concerns in words, rather than a nonsensical video response; we could have a legitimate discussion on the pros and cons.

If I had a legitimate concern, I would have. What I had was just a joke you reminded me off, nothing more. Thanks for fucking ruining it by the way.

-------

Current Rig

-------

In a way, it seems a little better than the current system to be honest.

It's pretty much just Steam. You log into one machine at a time, effectively.

I don't really see the problem

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Thanks for fucking ruining it by the way.

No problem. I always write in a professional matter, even in online forums.

Wouldn't this potentially make it easier for people who run test benches too? Instead of having to manually activate the key with a phone call, you could literally just open a website, login, and bam, done?

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

Wouldn't this potentially make it easier for people who run test benches too? Instead of having to manually activate the key with a phone call, you could literally just open a website, login, and bam, done?

Yes it would as Activation details can be managed from an online portal.

I mentioned this in one of my earlier comments:

• You no longer need to call Microsoft to reactivate windows due to changing out a motherboard/CPU/chipset because of a platform upgrade
  • Your Windows activation is tied to your user account, meaning it is Permanent. 
  • Have your laptop or device stolen? Deactivate the license from your account, migrate activation to new hardware
  • Better integration with device-account management and possibly anti-theft technology
    • Intel's AT technology and ME come to mind, as well as AMDs new ARM based 'security' co-processor, which is AMDs response to Intel's AT and ME.
  • Larger businesses with Volume Licensing or MAKs can easily track which computers are activated and prevent stolen keys.

This is better in my eyes, no more losing keys, and makes it much easier to move from system to system/mobo to mobo

People are over reacting. I for one welcome this new DRM method. You have no idea  how many people I have had to turn down because they pirated Windows, in specific "loaders" and "kms" fake activations.

For the pc enthusiast this new DRM method should be a plus. Why you may ask?

Exactly. Unless I'm seeing something beyond blind anti Microsoft rage, it's pretty much just how Steam operates and everybody loves that

In fact, I'm even more in favour of this. I currently have my Windows 7 license written on the back of a paper DVD slip because I can't find the box.

Just having it held online would be better for me.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

2. This is a big deal for who? I'll still have a disc on hand. It'll be tied to my MS account so I can redownload images directly from them. Seems like a smarter way to handle activations (since when have you not needed to ping the internet to validate your activation?) 

The only people that are crying are the cheap ones who will have to wait till this form of DRM gets cracked before they can download the OS for free. EVeryone else will say "meh" and move on.  This is literally a one and done DRM system, from the looks of it. Activate and its gone. So whats the  uproar again? 

Does Windows yell at you on a daily basis right now? No. So why would that change? 

I think it is a big deal.

I would not be surprised if this turns into always online DRM in one or two Windows versions. DRM needs to die as quickly as possible. This DRM is even more intrusive than the last one.

I don't see how machine specific DRM and mandatory online accounts could be a good thing. It will probably phone home quite frequently to avoid having multiple computers using the same key, so now it's not just annoying when installing it, it will also be privacy intrusive while you are just using your computer normally!

I doubt that GNU/Linux will become popular but I really really hope it does. Microsoft keeps pushing more and more crap down the throats of their customers and they won't stop until there is an uproar.

Before you try some ad hominem attack I would just like to add that I got a DreamSpark account. I get it for free and I still think this is bullshit.

Exactly. Unless I'm seeing something beyond blind anti Microsoft rage, it's pretty much just how Steam operates and everybody loves that

I don't. I hate everything about Steam except the low prices on games. The rest is awful.

Horrible DRM. Retroactively enforcing changes to the TOS. Slow. Punishes developers for making them fix huge gaping security holes which could get peoples' credit cards stolen. Etc. Etc...

How is the system sending verification bits back to a central server an invasion of your privacy?

You do realize you don't even own the software? You own a license to it, nothing more. 

Stop the war mongering with "I would not be surprised if this turns into always online DRM". Whats to say this isn't yet another one time activation? Maybe it might even phone home when you use Windows Updates? Whats so different compared to what they do now?

Hell, once was a time where you couldn't install certain Windows apps on Windows 7 if you didn't have a genuine installation of Windows. It was phoning home then too. 

In fact, I'm even more in favour of this. I currently have my Windows 7 license written on the back of a paper DVD slip because I can't find the box.

Just having it held online would be better for me.

You're thinking of a good implementation of this kind of online DRM. Microsoft simply because of their size, will more likely completely botch the release EA style and will cause massive, unprecedented downtimes and flatout lost licenses and such. And that's even if they're super competent and don't have any other issues other than servers being hit hard, but think about it: there's literally millions of possible hardware combinations possible a lot of machines will inevitably fail to activate and have issues.

And even if you don't oppose this type of digital distribution in principle (which I don't for the record) My previous argument still applies as well: This is a bit too close to always-online DRM for comfort, specially from a company that was already trying to do just that with their gaming console.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Companies uses Enterprise version of Windows, which requires Windows Server to host the activation. So the sever does 1 activation call to Microsoft, and it handles all companies internal computers. So there is no change on that.

That's a bit too close to always-online DRM but for your entire OS.

You mean like since Windows XP? No one complained.

Right that's why you subscribed to LTT, for the seriousness of the discussion and professionalism Linus himself inspires with his constant clowning around. You just wanted to pick up a fight, guess what? You can ask Goodbytes all about it: I won't pick up fights with Microsoft employees and supporters, is not worth my time.

Disclaimer: I am not a MS employee, I am a college student.

Now that we have that cleared up: I wasn't picking a fight, over the Internet nonetheless. I was merely trying to understand people's concerns with the supposed new license management system. Also, I managed to miss the joke in that video, sorry: I don't watch the simpsons (I used to a few years ago) or cartoons in general.

I am not a MS supporter, I judge all OS and software providers the same way. If Canonical decided to license Ubuntu in the same matter, I wouldn't be so content. 

Lastly, yes I did join this community in an effort to better it, that includes posting in a professional matter. As to whether Linus inspires professionalism, that is his own business, not yours or mine.

I think it is a big deal.

I would not be surprised if this turns into always online DRM in one or two Windows versions. DRM needs to die as quickly as possible. This DRM is even more intrusive than the last one.

I don't see how machine specific DRM and mandatory online accounts could be a good thing. It will probably phone home quite frequently to avoid having multiple computers using the same key, so now it's not just annoying when installing it, it will also be privacy intrusive while you are just using your computer normally!

I doubt that GNU/Linux will become popular but I really really hope it does. Microsoft keeps pushing more and more crap down the throats of their customers and they won't stop until there is an uproar.

Before you try some ad hominem attack I would just like to add that I got a DreamSpark account. I get it for free and I still think this is bullshit.

I would imagine that it will be an "always on" DRM method (similar to MS Office), that is one of the downsides to this new method. Especially if you are on a Laptop or mobile device and roam a lot, not to mention the possibility of having an unstable Internet access, such as 3G/LTE.

It would suck having Windows deactivate while in the middle of a road trip or flight for example. This wouldn't be acceptable for people who do work while traveling.

You're thinking of a good implementation of this kind of online DRM. Microsoft simply because of their size, will more likely completely botch the release EA style and will cause massive, unprecedented downtimes and flatout lost licenses and such. And that's even if they're super competent and don't have any other issues other than servers being hit hard, but think about it: there's literally millions of possible hardware combinations possible a lot of machines will inevitably fail to activate and have issues.

And even if you don't oppose this type of digital distribution in principle (which I don't for the record) My previous argument still applies as well: This is a bit too close to always-online DRM for comfort, specially from a company that was already trying to do just that with their gaming console.

Guilty until proven innocent much?

Guilty until proven innocent much?

I wouldn't call a company who already threatened always-online DRM "innocent". In fact I am giving them the benefit of the doubt if you look at their DRM track record that intentionally tried to slow down and block Linux with the UEFI implementation.

-------

Current Rig

-------

If this is true, then Windows 7 really is the new XP and people, most likely including myself, are going to stick with it until 2020 and beyond by which time we might have better software and hardware support for Linux.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

Looks like I'm using Windows 7 until 2020...

(Since that is when support ends for it I believe.)

Or maybe I'll upgrade to Windows 8...

Either way, people need to start making more applications for Linux. Hopefully I can stay on Windows long enough for Linux to become a very viable option.

COMIC SANS