[Rumour] Windows 9 revamped activation system (DRM)

qwertywarrior

If you think far enough you will find some flaws where they need a solution for.

What will happen if you deactivate pc A, activate pc B and disconnect pc A from the internet. What will pc A do, well you have no internet that is 1 bad thing but the pc won't know it is deactivated.

And tbh you can't let it connect to the servers everytime you boot it, for notebook users it's sometimes just impossible to have an internet connection, and it can happen to everyone your internet connection is down, my internet connection was down for a week a year ago, and if i need to connect every time i boot to the internet will mean i can't use my pc for a week, which is just stupid. Also even if i can use it for a couple of days and my pc stops working before the internet connection gets fixed, that would just be horrible!

Think about it, your internet connection goes down, probably not your fault, and because you do everything legal your pc it just stops working after a couple of days.

This will just make the piracy worse! Look at DRM games, more drm, more pircay, and i don't blame them, most drm stuff is complete crap (uplay anyone?)

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

If you think far enough you will find some flaws where they need a solution for.

What will happen if you deactivate pc A, activate pc B and disconnect pc A from the internet. What will pc A do, well you have no internet that is 1 bad thing but the pc won't know it is deactivated.

And tbh you can't let it connect to the servers everytime you boot it, for notebook users it's sometimes just impossible to have an internet connection, and it can happen to everyone your internet connection is down, my internet connection was down for a week a year ago, and if i need to connect every time i boot to the internet will mean i can't use my pc for a week, which is just stupid. Also even if i can use it for a couple of days and my pc stops working before the internet connection gets fixed, that would just be horrible!

Think about it, your internet connection goes down, probably not your fault, and because you do everything legal your pc it just stops working after a couple of days.

This will just make the piracy worse! Look at DRM games, more drm, more pircay, and i don't blame them, most drm stuff is complete crap (uplay anyone?)

If you switch from pc A to pc B then you a need either a different OS for pc A, or you need to buy another activation, that is the whole point. ;)

Also I wouldn't worry about the later until the fine print is confirmed by MS, however I doubt it will be that difficult, is sounds like it will run similar to what it does now just with server side management of activation.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Last Monday. actually, I helped a girl get rockband setup so she could record audio.

I meant how old was the machine?

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I meant how old was the machine?

didn't look but I would suspect from the size and shape less than a year.

see what I did there.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

didn't look but I would suspect from the size and shape less than a year.

see what I did there.

No, no I do not see what you did there.

Wait, was this a Mac Pro?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

No, no I do not see what you did there.

Wait, was this a Mac Pro?

They all look the same was the joke.  I didn't go looking for the date and I am not that interested in them so I wouldn't know how to date them from physical features.

They all look the same was the joke.  I didn't go looking for the date and I am not that interested in them so I wouldn't know how to date them from physical features.

It's pretty much impossible to date them from external features, unless you're trying to discern Retina from standard. Internally stuff shifts, like the SSD was under the trackpad (That's right, under the trackpad. It's tiny.) in the early 2013 models but they moved it to the upper left corner in later models.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I hope I don't have to stick with Windows 7 until 2020. Maybe by then there will be a real competitor to Windows.

I hope I don't have to stick with Windows 7 until 2020. Maybe by then there will be a real competitor to Windows.

OS X? Linux?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

You have a wide variety of OSs to pick beside Windows: you have MacOS, Linux based OSs (you have a bunch there), ChromeOS (it is a valid OS, targeted at mobile and desktop computers), and even iOS and Android. Sure it's for tablets, but you can connect mouse and keyboard and a monitor, and you can use it. You can surf the web just fine, you can play your music, and you have a wide variety of games. Do you do something else with your system? If you do, then you have other two mentioned (MacOS and Linux based OSs).

Only cheap pirate who can't pay a company for something they made are the ones crying. 

Sounds good to me. I don't have to manage my CD keys anymore.

Also I don't think the average consumer Cates about a start menu, ease of use is what counts. This DRM system also sounds easy to use, so another positive?

I want a subscription windows like office 365. I would pay a few dollars a month for a good OS.

What about colleges, like MIT, who give out free LEGAL copies to employees, what will happen to them?

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

What about colleges, like MIT, who give out free LEGAL copies to employees, what will happen to them?

bulk licensing will likely still apply or be modified to suit the new system. 

bulk licensing will likely still apply or be modified to suit the new system. 

Yeah there is no way Microsoft would kill off bulk licensing.

They like screwing their regular customers as hard as they can, but I doubt they would try to screw all their business partners. They aren't that suicidal... yet.

I wish they made windows unbreakable. So that everyone must have to buy it. That will be so great for LINUX/UBUNTU  :)

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Gaming?

OS X has plenty of games in its app store, and Steam has tons of OS X titles too. Ubuntu is the only distro with an app store, but Steam OS is based off of Linux and more games are being ported to it. You can even run them with WINE most of the time so it doesn't matter if the file is a .exe.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

OS X has plenty of games in its app store, and Steam has tons of OS X titles too. Ubuntu is the only distro with an app store, but Steam OS is based off of Linux and more games are being ported to it. You can even run them with WINE most of the time so it doesn't matter if the file is a .exe.

That is actually true.

Shame that OSX has god awful task scheduling, and crappy memory management. I don't know any person actually doing productivity work with their Mac (Final Cut Pro, or iOS app development) where they need to restart their system during the day because its no longer responsive. True it got better (much) with the latest MacOS, but still.

As for Linux based OS, the OS is a pain to use in general for every day tasks. Simple things that should be simple are complicated. Everything is in components, and it's a headache to find which is the best one to get, if you seek the best experience to fit your needs. Programs are blasted with options most of them useless, and documentation is little to none on them, and everything looks like 1995 days, or young amateur DeviantArt thing. There is just no polish, no thought process of the the end user not being a hard core Linux developer or enthusiasts, making the whole experience unwelcome. Ubuntu is the best at it, and it looks like Valve wants to give it their best shot with SteamOS, which is great. However, all I see, is hardcore Linux fanboys bitching and complain on Ubuntu, on how it pretty much destroyed Linux. While the way I see things, is that Ubuntu does what is necessary to make the OS welcoming, easy to use, and try and build a strong community of people. I think, if people want Linux to be popular you need to get talented GUI designer and programmers, be open to invest in a proper new GUI engine, have a vision, a goal, and be prepared to change things and accept that. I personally believe, that this blockade that the Linux community has in their head, is what prevent Linux from living in a early 90's world OS that tries to be modern but wants to stick to their early roots.

To me, it's like if Microsoft is trying to do a viable OS with Windows 3.x in 2014, and Microsoft had to do the hard choices, a risky moves. They did with Win9x, NT3, Vista core, all to stay ahead and not be stock in time.

I am not saying that Windows is perfect either. I think the lack of competition is not great for the consumer, but it is interesting to see Microsoft being pushed by OSs from the mobile space, and ChromeOS. Yes, it lead to Windows 8, which is something that people either love, and sees the direction that Microsoft sees in computers, or hate, (or not giving it a chance). That is fine. Windows 9 will take a new approach, and try again, and that is part of life, that is something that Linux community should get together and do, take a risk. it might fail, so what? Try again. and again once more, if needed.

But so far, despite its imperfections, Windows is the OS of choice for the best experience. You know that everything will just work out of the box (assuming no hardware problem, or you acquired crappy manufacture hardware, or have specificity hardware with not so greatly designed drivers). You know that if you do massive multi-tasking, you won't have any problem. It will handle everything you trough at it, it is fairly secure, strong effort at making the OS always secure, collect and process telemetry data to improve the overall feel of the OS, does R&D on GUI design, hires talented people in GUI design, provides easy to understand help documentation and videos, and has a strong community.

And I think, so far, those are some of the reasons why Windows is the choice from people. Some people might not realize, yet, but it's more than gaming, even if all you do is treat your PC as a console.

-snip-

I think you haven't used either in a long time...I don't want to start a flame war with you because I realize you love Windows, but with Ubuntu, Linux hasn't been like that for a long time.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

SNIP

I personally used to run Mac, the games that are for Mac work well, and using windows on a partition works even better. True Mac doesn't have great memory management, but that's because apples OS dev team works on iOS moar, so things like memory management fall to the bottom of the list of things that need fixing. That not to say that having lots of memory is useless on Mac because of it. 16gb of ram in a Mac, and you're set. No more problems.

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

• 2 months later...

What the heck are you doing microsoft! The pirates are going to get past the DRM anyway, and you are just punishing people who actually buy the copy! x(

Kill yourself you little shit. Please hang yourself deep in a cave where nobody will find your body so nobody will remember your stupid ass. Die. Fucking die. Capitalist fuck.

Fucking backwards hat wearing guido fuck off back to italy with the rest of your subhuman garbage.

Language much? :P