VW's space-age XL1 achieves incredible 313mpg

ETRJ

Volkswagen's new XL1 hybrid auto is a dream come true for frugal refuellers, delivering a budget-friendly 313.9mpg and a top speed of 99mph.

The uber economic motor went on sale in the UK earlier this month, marking up at a hefty £98,515 - a big ask but the fuel savings are phenomenal.

The car was first unveiled at the Qatar Motor Show back in 2011, and is confirmed for an initial run of 250 vehicles worldwide, 30 of which have landed a spot in the UK.

The XL1 is a hybrid meaning it runs off two engines; a 27 horsepower electric motor that'll take you up to 22mph, and a diesel engine that powers the car beyond that.

Not only is the car economical, it's also eco-friendly - the XL1 discharges a paltry 21g of CO2 per kilometre. VW's green machine is lightweight too, weighing in at just 795kg, mostly thanks to its use of feathery materials like magnesium, ceramics, and aluminium. Just 23.3% of the car is made from steel or iron.

VW's XL1 is just short of 4 metres long and around 1.6 metres wide, with a sportscar height of 1.2 metres. The car operates elegant scissor doors too, so you can save fuel and stay stylish at the same time - we call it eco-chic.

http://www.t3.com/news/vws-space-age-xl1-achieves-incredible-313mpg

Phenomenal fuel savings yes, but you'll likely never make up that difference in price vs a cheaper fuel efficient car, or even a cheaper hybrid.

I'm sure they could have made this much cheaper.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

This is very impressive and all that jazz, but seriously when can we have "eco" cars that don't look like ass. (Tesla excluded)

the Tesla in my opinion actually looks preety good

Yeah and you will need to drive it for 400 years to make up for the fuel cost.

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

313mpg thats very nice. i wish my rx3 got that but alas it gets bugger all good thing i only drive it one day a week or id be poor as shit

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

This is very impressive and all that jazz, but seriously when can we have "eco" cars that don't look like ass. (Tesla excluded) 

It's not THAT bad. I guess what is making it weird are the covered wheels. Without that it would be much more "normal". Not great but closer to conventional design... 

Why are they doing this anyway ? 

It also costs enough for you to buy one of these and enough gas and tires for a few years. 

Make your pick.

2012-Aston-Martin-Vantage-S-coupe-placem

People won't take this alternative fuel crap seriously till they make good looking versions. Hence, the Model S. Its so well received because it LOOKS good. Looks matter when you want people to walk through the door and spend money. 

The Gumpert Apollo was one of the best performing super/hypercars of its generation, but it looked like that. So how many people even cared because it looked like sin? It clearly performed but something that weirdly designed is not going to draw in customers, no matter how good it might be.

Gumpert+Apollo+%234.jpg

This is fantastic news. The more ultra eco hybrids and full electrics, the better.

For those complaining about the price, for one thing this is a Diesel Electric hybrid. That's going to be incredibly expensive to engineer, let alone produce.

The more of these that gets sold, the cheaper the technology will become, and the more affordable ones we'll see. Just look at Telsa with their Model X, which is *aiming* to be significantly cheaper than the Model S. In 5 years, we could easily see GOOD full electric cars with actual decent range (Like Tesla) in the $30,000 to 50,000 price bracket. Sure, that's still a lot of money, but it's much more affordable then current "good" EV's and HEV's.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I'd rather get that Elio Motors car that gets 80 mpg and costs way less. (if / when it actually comes out, that is)

It's ugly, so I don't want it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

It also costs enough for you to buy one of these and enough gas and tires for a few years. 

Make your pick.

2012-Aston-Martin-Vantage-S-coupe-placem

People won't take this alternative fuel crap seriously till they make good looking versions. Hence, the Model S. Its so well received because it LOOKS good. Looks matter when you want people to walk through the door and spend money. 

The Gumpert Apollo was one of the best performing super/hypercars of its generation, but it looked like that. So how many people even cared because it looked like sin? It clearly performed but something that weirdly designed is not going to draw in customers, no matter how good it might be.

Gumpert+Apollo+%234.jpg

I would rather get an R8 or a Nissan GT-R than an Aston Martin - Whichever one it is(I'm guessing it's a V12 vantage or V8(they all look exactly the same, the design is extremely overused))for that money

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

This is fantastic news. The more ultra eco hybrids and full electrics, the better.

For those complaining about the price, for one thing this is a Diesel Electric hybrid. That's going to be incredibly expensive to engineer, let alone produce.

The more of these that gets sold, the cheaper the technology will become, and the more affordable ones we'll see. Just look at Telsa with their Model X, which is *aiming* to be significantly cheaper than the Model S. In 5 years, we could easily see GOOD full electric cars with actual decent range (Like Tesla) in the $30,000 to 50,000 price bracket. Sure, that's still a lot of money, but it's much more affordable then current "good" EV's and HEV's.

I think the Model E is the one that is going to be cheaper because the X is/was going to be the crossover.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

I think the Model E is the one that is going to be cheaper because the X is/was going to be the crossover.

You're right that the upcoming Model E will be cheaper, but initially the X was slated to have a $50,000 or less price tag. Slated doesn't mean it'll end up being cheaper though xD

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

It looks like a prop from the movie I, Robot.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.