How to Wipe a HDD?

Bilbo Baggins
Go to solution Solved by flibberdipper,

Use the one built into CCleaner. Install the OS on your SSD, hotplug your HDD (plug it in while the system is running) and then use this utility on the 3 passes setting, but change free space to Entire Drive.

gallery_37587_679_82700.jpg

I've never really given any thought to how i'm going to Clear all data on my HDD (including W7 OS) before my new PC Parts arrive, and all videos i've tried to look up have been about Clearing it multiple times so it can't be recovered.

So i want to wipe it clean and install it when i build my new PC, alongside the SSD i purchased with it.

Do i use a program to delete the data?

Use the one built into CCleaner. Install the OS on your SSD, hotplug your HDD (plug it in while the system is running) and then use this utility on the 3 passes setting, but change free space to Entire Drive.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I've never really given any thought to how i'm going to Clear all data on my HDD (including W7 OS) before my new PC Parts arrive, and all videos i've tried to look up have been about Clearing it multiple times so it can't be recovered.

So i want to wipe it clean and install it when i build my new PC, alongside the SSD i purchased with it.

Do i use a program to delete the data?

you can use any of the programs listed in those videos and set them to 1 pass ~ your data will get formatted.

You don't necessarily need to wipe it yet, you could leave it unplugged for the time you install the OS on to the SSD. Then after you have that done, you can use windows itself to format it, from what I know using a different program to wipe an HDD makes no difference. Just use the full format (or what ever is advertised as slower) so you don't have your D drive letter taken up by the system reserved.

You can still keep working up until the installation, and during the formatting.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

There's no need to go to these lengths, just repartition the drive once the OS is loaded (make sure you install Windows to the SSD and leave that drive only plugged in, disconnect all other drives) and then assign a letter like D: or K: or whatever you want.

MAXIMUS VII HERO | i7 4770K w/ H100i | 2x8GB 1600MHz | GALAX GTX 970 x2
250GB SSD boot | 250GB x2, 1TB SSD storage | Corsair 400C | Corsair RM550

For irrecoverably wiping a drive I usually do a destructive badblocks scan with a linux distro. It writes patterns to all sectors of the harddrive and then reads them to check whether the drive's healthy. It overwrites existing data if you do that so it's gone forever. Since that's not necessarily what you're after and just want a clean install and irrecoverably wiping everything isn't that important to you, just formatting the drive (OS installer will probably let you do this) will do fine.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

thank you all for the detailed reply's!

depends on what you mean by wipe, there is the usual

1:hey i can't find the files because i formatted the drive kind (quick format)

2:dude i need to wipe the entire drive and start fresh (random pass Standard to guttman)

3:This thing should be extinct method (degaussing/physical destroying)

Do not sit under the impression that wipping (even wipping records) your drive can be put under clean hard drive, trust me it can be recovered with the right tools & time, if you just want to clean install as close to a new hdd as possible you need to clear it out from the boot option itself including the OS & partitions , wipedisc soft can be helpful that's the only consumer product that can deliver that i believe. otherwise ccleaner or other free/paid softs can do the job.

Details separate people.

thankyou i will be using this method, is there any difference between 1 and 3 passes if i don't care about Data being able to be recovered?

thankyou i will be using this method, is there any difference between 1 and 3 passes if i don't care about Data being able to be recovered?

More passes will be more secure and have a lower chance that data will be recovered. But the more passes you do, the longer it will take.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

You can do it with windows installation also.

The title remainded me of old joke when dealing with problematic windows installs, "format c:"

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I'm surprised nobody has used my option.

950jdjnl3.jpg

Oh you still want to use it? Darn.

I'd do what @LoGiCalDrm suggested. It's the easiest.

I'm surprised nobody has used my option.

950jdjnl3.jpg

Oh you still want to use it? Darn.

I'd do what @LoGiCalDrm suggested. It's the easiest.

Now on sale at KMart 1$ each or 25.99 for a pack of 30!!!! MURICA

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

Now on sale at KMart $25.99 each or $1000 for a pack of 30!!!! MURICA

Let me fix that for you.

Technically these are artillery rounds too. :lol:

Let me fix that for you.

Technically these are artillery rounds too. :lol:

Nah it was a joke because back in the day kmart sold bullets for retarded cheap, :P

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

Nah it was a joke because back in the day kmart sold bullets for retarded cheap, :P

If only it still was that way :(

If only it still was that way :(

yeah man I'm feelin like shootin up some schools right now

/s

<_<

yeah man I'm feelin like shootin up some schools right now

/s

<_<

Someone's just been added to an NSA watchlist

DROGON: Intel i5-4690K @ 3.5 GHz /// MSI Z97 Gaming 5 /// Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x4GB @ 1600MHz /// EVGA GTX 780 Classified /// Phanteks Enthoo Pro /// Crucial MX100 512GB SSD /// Corsair AX760i /// Corsair H105 /// Corsair Vengeance K70 /// Corsair M45 /// Dell Ultrasharp U2414H /// Build log: completed

Someone's just been added to an NSA watchlist

I use linux so im already there B)

You don't need to do any cleaning. When you first time start your new rig and install the OS on the SSD, keep your old HDD still disconnected. After you got Windows updated and running, connect your HDD and check that in the BIOS the SSD is the boot drive option 1 (or the only boot drive, you can disable other drives). In Windows type "harddrive" in the start button search and it'll bring up "Create and format hard disk partitions". Right click on your HDD, and delete all volumes (=partitions) which also effectively quick formats your disk, and then create one big new volume (or whatever you'd like).

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/