Rumor: HP is Working on a Gaming Laptop

Syntaxvgm

This is from Tom's hardware. 

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/hp-hewlett-packard-gaming-notebook-haswell,27166.html

Softpedia reports that Hewlett Packard is getting ready to launch a gaming laptop that will compete with Dell's lineup of Alienware gaming notebooks. The news arrives by way of @evleaks, who provides screenshots and hardware specs of an unannounced HP laptop that's slated to arrive this fall.

I think this is great. Not so great that Tom's hardware seems to think the dell is the only competition. 

Clevo is my personal favorite, but I do own a dual gpu alienware and love it, as I bought it used and didn't get raped by the price. I'm happy to see more competition in the gaming laptop market.

Now if MXM GPUs would just get cheaper...

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Do they really need to "work" so fucking much on it? I mean unless it's something revolutionary like gaming on the size of a surface 3 or something, you just pick up your parts and that's it there's not much to it since they don't develop anything themselves

-------

Current Rig

-------

If it's like the Alienware's laptop and for the same price, I don't see the value in either. For the same price I can buy an MSI GE70 with 16 GB of RAM rather than 8, 1TB of storage rather than 500GB AND a 128 SSD.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Do they really need to "work" so fucking much on it? I mean unless it's something revolutionary like gaming on the size of a surface 3 or something, you just pick up your parts and that's it there's not much to it since they don't develop anything themselves

Believe it or not they do. No, it's not like they are responsible for the performance. But a lot goes into making the board and designing the machine. Personally I have a love-hate relationship with HP laptops. They are not bad at all most of the time 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Neat.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

Yay! A laptop that's going to be poorly built, overheat, and come bogged down with more bloatware than any other company!

Yay! A laptop that's going to be poorly built, overheat, and come bogged down with more bloatware than any other company!

Yah that's been their trend lately. 

My GF's laptop got clogged and upon cleaning and repasting it, I discovered that part of the heatsink didn't have anything to carry the heat to it, and therefore was useless. WTF lol

u47975-0.jpg

See this? notice the smaller heatsink for dedicated graphics? Well on and AMD APU version, the heatsink is still there but the fan has plastic blocking airflow to it and there is not a heatpipe to it. Usually most manufacturers just chain both to the same pipe on APU versions . Why not just daisy chain them? lol lazy assholes. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Believe it or not they do. No, it's not like they are responsible for the performance. But a lot goes into making the board and designing the machine. Personally I have a love-hate relationship with HP laptops. They are not bad at all most of the time 

I know I mean is not as easy as a desktop system I get that, but it is also not as hard, this "working on a gaming laptop" kind of "news" to me it's just PR manipulation most likely. I'd love to be wrong and see a truly amazing laptop or unbeatable price but the chances of that are virtually none.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I know I mean is not as easy as a desktop system I get that, but it is also not as hard, this "working on a gaming laptop" kind of "news" to me it's just PR manipulation most likely. I'd love to be wrong and see a truly amazing laptop or unbeatable price but the chances of that are virtually none.

Yah I'd agree. And no one will beat clevo for cost/performace. 

Id doubt hp will be great quality or enough to justify spending more. Even MSI is not the best. 

Believe it or not alienware is great quality, but way to fucking much money. And their warranty and support is shit. So despite the feel and solidness, if the do break you might very well have a bad experience. 

Now if clevos would just get better speakers and audio...

muh specs 

All parts black

I have another prediction. Instead of having a higher-end gpu/cpu and decent ram/storage, this laptop will have shit loads of ram, top of the line storage, a fucking ridiculous screen, an ultrabook-level cpu, a GT 840/850m, and be 1.5 inches thick for $2k.

I think you're just taking it the wrong way. The article is in their news section, and HP working on a gaming-worthy laptop (something they haven't done in years since they bought VooooPC) is actual news.

The last laptop they made that was remotely gaming-worthy was the older Envy 15/17 aluminum laptops which were discontinued a couple years ago. They were nice laptops IMO and I was planning on getting one - only bad thing was that it was branded as a Beats by Dre laptop too.

I think you're just taking it the wrong way. The article is in their news section, and HP working on a gaming-worthy laptop (something they haven't done in years since they bought VooooPC) is actual news.

The last laptop they made that was remotely gaming-worthy was the older Envy 15/17 aluminum laptops which were discontinued a couple years ago. They were nice laptops IMO and I was planning on getting one - only bad thing was that it was branded as a Beats by Dre laptop too.

I just looked VoodooPC up and now I really want one of those chassis.

Not interested.

No matter what innovations HP pull off, they damaged their brand ages ago with their POS computers on the very low end and forever cemented themselves as the maker of subpar desktops and printers. Why would i want a product from a company that takes zero pride in their work?

Marketing is going to be key on this one. Non-enthusiasts link the words 'gaming computer' to very specific brands like Alienware and Razer and this is based solely on their marketing. I'm also interested in seeing if they'll go for a more professional look or go all-out red or green color schemes.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

snip

Can confirm HP make the worst cooled and built laptops around. I see all brands of laptop to fix and I loath HP, you need to pull the whole thing apart to do the simplest jobs, the cooling is horrifically bad and the TIM is always solid as a rock. The only thing HP has going for them is the Part numbers which makes it easy to find spares albeit not from HP themselves since they normally cost more than the machine itself but makes it easy to get the exact part for the model of laptop from ebay or other second hand dealers which is extremely use for HP since they break all the time due to they aforementioned awful design. *rant over sorry*  

Edit: perfect example being my misses machine, i5-4410 with HD4000 IGP overheats while playing such ball busting titles as Don't Starve and Binding of Isaac. It has one thing to cool, that being the CPU since its got an IGP and it fails uttery at that. But don't worry guys they added a (and I'm not making this up.) Coolsense button. Now don't let them tell you its just fan control because the fan will already be running full whack during regular use. All this does is underclock the shit out of everything. So its really a slow down button because we've no idea how to cool a laptop. *rant over for real this time.* 

Cooling done correctly by Medion on my Erazer Gaming notebook: http://i.imgur.com/5ntBKsd.jpg

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

Can confirm HP make the worst cooled and built laptops around. I see all brands of laptop to fix and I loath HP, you need to pull the whole thing apart to do the simplest jobs, the cooling is horrifically bad and the TIM is always solid as a rock. The only thing HP has going for them is the Part numbers which makes it easy to find spares albeit not from HP themselves since they normally cost more than the machine itself but makes it easy to get the exact part for the model of laptop from ebay or other second hand dealers which is extremely use for HP since they break all the time due to they aforementioned awful design. *rant over sorry*  

Edit: perfect example being my misses machine, i5-4410 with HD4000 IGP overheats while playing such ball busting titles as Don't Starve and Binding of Isaac. It has one thing to cool, that being the CPU since its got an IGP and it fails uttery at that. But don't worry guys they added a (and I'm not making this up.) Coolsense button. Now don't let them tell you its just fan control because the fan will already be running full whack during regular use. All this does is underclock the shit out of everything. So its really a slow down button because we've no idea how to cool a laptop. *rant over for real this time.*

I have a picture of the thing. It was so completely fucking retarded I had to take a pic of it. 

4197c966-948f-4317-98d5-2d2225322e0c.png

Look at that! What's the use of that heatsink on the top? Are they daft?

I agree they are the WORST at cooling. 

Imagine a gaming laptop from them.

My m18x with the 2920xm from 2011 can OC to 4.4ghz while maintining heat. It's cooled great. 

Now hp, they better step it up if they are to cool a gaming notebook. Or underclock it. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Would not go near this i wouldn't touch anything from hp or compaq ive had the worst experiences with them and so has sooo many other people. 

I really wanted this until i saw it was hp and i had to hold myself back from getting it just for the looks.

post-1006-0-16655600-1404274049.jpg

Would not go near this i wouldn't touch anything from hp or compaq ive had the worst experiences with them and so has sooo many other people. 

I really wanted this until i saw it was hp and i had to hold myself back from getting it just for the looks.

attachicon.gifhp-slatebook_yellow_2_2593771401483617-549x400.jpg

ugh

muh specs 

All parts black

If they could do a budget one, with a 850m and a low end i5 or high end i3 for about £500 - £600 that'd be great.

There's already 50 billion other "gaming laptops" out there with 870 and 880m gpu's for £1300+. Try aiming for a market that's begging to be broken into, I know at least 10 people who i'm friends with who'd be willing to buy a lower end "gaming laptop" that's capable of Minecraft, CSGO, LoL, DoTA, CoD and practically any indie game out there.

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

didnt hp once try and focus on making an ultra media/gaming laptop?

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Am I the only one worried about the quality of laptop HP is actually capable of making?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

NO NO NO! The 2 hp laptops I have both needed GPU reflows.... both of them are still broken. If this is gonna be another trend with "Man I gotta reflow the GPU/CPU again" then this is gonna be horrible. But if they get it right and if its cheap then I'd love to get one myself.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Hp gaming laptop with all new high powered gt 730m gfx

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

>"HP Gaming Laptop"

Remember their "smartphone"?

CPUIntel i7 4770k @3.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 | GPU: eVGA GTX 780 SC w/Titan Cooler | Storage: 2x Corsair Force 3 120GB, 1x Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB 3.5" HDD | RAM: 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600, 2x4GB Kingston Blu Red DDR3-1600 | PSU: Corsair GS600 80+ Bronze | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | Displays: BenQ XL2420TE 24" 144Hz, Dell SR2220L 21.5", LG E2241 21.5" | Keyboard: AZiO Levetron Mech5 MX Blacks | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50, Samson C01U USB Condenser, RØDE PSA1 Scissor Boom, Akai MPK25 MIDI Controller | Phone: Google Nexus 5 16GB 4.4.2 | Desk: IKEA LINNMON+ADILS | Guitars: Teisco VN-4, Teisco EP93-T

well I probably won't buy it but I'm just interested on what they will name it  :D