Do you think that YouTube's 60fps videos could drive gaming PC sales?

Askew

Interesting food for thought, what's your vote?

To read more about the topic if it's fresh to you, there is @TopWargamer's thread on the developments which is a good read.

Here is a 60fps video, you need to be using Chrome's HTML5 video player to see 60fps when you select the 1080p setting, on Firefox the video will display 30fps only.

at least we'll be able to shove it in their face when they say that 30fps is just a number

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Maybe. Fantards will stay with 30fps no matter what, but those who have a better mental capacity will probably switch.

i'm a potato

I believe it will but only by a very small margin, there are still tons of people who don't understand the 60fps glory. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I think it'd make allot of people want to play @60fps. Hell, I watch JackFrags when he does stuff in 1440p or 4K and I wish I could run out and get one of them.

I believe it will but only by a very small margin, there are still tons of people who don't understand the 60fps glory. 

youtube isn't making a big enough deal out of it to convince the typical 30 fps pleb

I don't expect anything to happen immediately, but in a few years with the new consoles show their age even more, and there are native 4K PC gameplay videos up for people to watch, possibly also 60fps, then the disparity is going to become evident to anyone who might respond to more resolution or framerate.

Even plebs like the idea of 4K TVs, and even console users complain when a new xbone game isn't 1080p.

If said plebs of the future are sat mouthbreathing in front of their shiny new 4k TV watching a silky smooth gaming vid at 60fps, I bet they will wish their games looked like that.

In my honest opinion. It won't help drive anyone to pc's. I literally know about 4 people in real life that actually know what 30 and 60fps means. So as long as the majority of people is happy youtube has no reason to change. Not to mention that they would have to crank up their encoding and it would use more space on their servers so it would cost them more money to only impress a small group of people compared to all the people who watch youtube videos.

Gaming rig- Cpu- Amd 9590, 16gbs of G Skill Ram, Gpu- GTX 760 windforce 3 edition 2gb. A Thermaltake water 2.0 water cooler for my cpu. Keyboard- Thermaltake Posieden , Case- 750D, Mobo Asus 990fx R2.0. 24 inch Dell LED monitor

I think it'd make allot of people want to play @60fps. Hell, I watch JackFrags when he does stuff in 1440p or 4K and I wish I could run out and get one of them.

I doubt he plays at that resolution. He just upscales from 1080p to 4K to get around Youtube's compression. 

Wait YT does 60fps now? When did this happen? I noticed an update yesterday but does it include support for 60fps?

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

these console dwellers will be forced to understand what 60 fps is like and they will love it until they understand that you can only get 60fps with every game on PC. They will still say 30fps is best just because they don't have the ability to play on PC

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

I doubt he plays at that resolution. He just upscales from 1080p to 4K to get around Youtube's compression. 

He does upscale, as do most youtubers who have a 4K option, the native stuff is yet to come.

Nailing BF4 to a playable framerate in 4K requires a lot of hardware.

Im sure it will help for people trying to get the best. because to be honest, half the time i cant see the videos that try to show the difference between different consoles. Higher FPS, even if they dont know why, they can see it will be clear. 

its one of those things that you watch, then go to play, and wonder, "why isn't my game that smooth?" 

thats why I cant play some games on the xbox 360. COD zombies, with 4 people, the fps drops down to 10-15. its crap. and i seem to be the only one in my family bothered by it. so Im just waiting for the "once you go 60 fps, you can go back"

personally i think that the biggest difference between 30 and 60 fps is how smooth it feels to play, sure you can also see motions way better but its more noticeable when you yourself is playing, so not sure it will have a big impact.

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Wait YT does 60fps now? When did this happen? I noticed an update yesterday but does it include support for 60fps?

It's coming out soon. I might text it out though today just to see if it's working :D

Well I'm pretty sure JackFrags doesn't play at 1440p or 4K. Maybe 1440p, but since he does CSGO competitively (or used to) he will have a 144hz 1080P monitor

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

I don't think so.

I <3 PC gaming but watching videos doesn't matter 30 fps vs 60 fps. Maybe it's because I haven't seen many videos at 60 fps but if I'm watching a fps video I'm not 100% paying attention to it. I'm sure lots of other people are the same. I'd still upload at 30 fps, file sizes are already huge :P.

most people except gamers wont notice the shift to 45 0r 60 fps, although there might be some problems arising from this , like the reviews hobbit received when it was released in 48fps , people aren't prepared i believe except gaming audience, if this sticks to gaming criteria alone then it's going to stay on , otherwise, it's going to be like the 3D movie bubble fad

Details separate people.

I think a lot of people will at least want to upgrade their PC, if not get a new one.

Sometimes you are only happy til you realize what you are missing. Once you experience smooth high frame rates with high details, you don't ever wanna go back to anything not quite as smooth or detailed.

I don't think it will make any difference to pc sales, because the difference between gaming at 30 and 60 is a million times bigger than the difference between watching a video at 30 or 60.

If anything people are probably gonna watch a video at 60fps and think "yes it's better but what's all the fuss about? The difference isn't even that big". You have to actually game at 60 to appreachiate how good it is.

I mean look at the diffence between lord of the rings and any other film. Yes lord of the rings looks abit better than a standard film, but it's double the fps! Then compare the difference between a game at 24 and 48fps, the difference is night and day.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Good old pc mustard race people, insulting others because they don't see eye-to-eye with you. @TheSLSAMG would be proud  hi friend

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Good old pc mustard race people, insulting others because they don't see eye-to-eye with you. @TheSLSAMG would be proud  hi friend

I really didn't intend the OP to be elitist but having re-read it I can see that it looked that way so I've edited out my comment.

I meant it more in terms of showing people who have been sold something being tempted to upgrade that thing when seeing something nicer.

I never experienced 60 FPS :(

I really didn't intend the OP to be elitist but having re-read it I can see that it looked that way so I've edited out my comment.

I meant it more in terms of showing people who have been sold something being tempted to upgrade that thing when seeing something nicer.

I meant others as well, saying they're mentally ill etc.

If console gamers are so bad, us constantly insulting them and doing other dick-head things doesn't make us any better.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I meant others as well, saying they're mentally ill etc.

If console gamers are so bad, us constantly insulting them and doing other dick-head things doesn't make us any better.

I agree, I don't like elitism and if I appear elitist it's by accident because I'm so used to PC and I dislike 30fps gaming.