Will you ditch your desktop if future laptops had more horsepower?

Nope, I'm hooked on my 34" 21:9 monitor, there ain't no going back after you sit in front of that.   :wub:

Are you threatening me?!

No, because this will never happen. The only chance laptops would have, is if Desktop PC did not exist anymore and at this rate, I don't see desktops leaving us any time soon.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

No, because this will never happen. The only chance laptops would have, is if Desktop PC dis not exist anymore and at this rate, I don't see desktops leaving us any time soon.

"You have to make a big one to get a small one" -Rashy

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

Not for me as I am a PC enthusiast and laptops are just quick on the go things for me.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

No I cant build it or select which components/case I want. And all laptops contain crapware I have to waste time cleaning out.

Laptops will never have the cooling ability of a PC which translates to shorter lifespan.

Also the customization options for PC are so good that this and many other PC websites exist.

The customization part is what is exciting for me, so in other words no frickin way.

i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3 1866 @ CL9, ASUS GTX 780, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, WD Black 1TB x 2, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W, BenQ XL2420TE 24" 144Hz @ 1080p, CM Nepton 280L, Noctua Industrial IP67 2000RPM 140mm PWM Fan x 6

No, not only because of the lack of power compared to a desktop but because of the peripherals and monitors. Sure you could plug a nice mechanical keyboard and a good monitor into the laptop but then whats the point of having a laptop then seeing as its now taking up about the same amount of space a mitx desktop only without the power behind it. That and plugging everything in/out in whenever you want to move it is a hassle. Having a desktop for home and then something like a MS Surface for travel and work/school is a far better solution than just having one, its not like it really costs that much more either.    

Laptops will always be behind Desktops in terms of pure performance. So ill never switch outright to a laptop.

If at any point in the future I find my self in need of a laptop that I would game on (which now im out of University, is unlikely) then I would get a £1000 laptop and have my proper gaming machine at home still.

Besides the next thing for me is a 4k monitor (37"- 42", so im still waiting), and aint no reasonably priced laptop gunna be able to handle 4k gaming any time soon.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

No, battery life would ruin it for me, and I like the desktop expierience much better.

I don't think so, there would still be the issue of cooling, upgrades, screen size etc. 

I would if I moved around a lot and was out of the house quite of the time. So until we can get unlimited high speed mobile broadband (ha!) I rather keep being a shut in than fuck up my bad (even more) on crappy starbucks chairs.

So it's not the specs for me, I just don't have any use for another laptop or a very powerful one.

-------

Current Rig

-------

If battery life was amazing, they weighed under 4 pounds, and had just as much power as my desktop for roughly the same price, I would probably get one. I could just hook it up to my monitors and use an external keyboard and mouse. Obviously I'm asking for too much in 2014 but it will probably happen in the next few years. 

It would also have to be easily upgradable.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

If the laptop was a perpetual motion machine yes... otherwise no, as i can't freaking stand batteries!

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

No... I don't want a 27" Laptop :|

Just sit REALLY close to the monitor. It can be as big as you want!

Yes, but I would still use a keyboard / mouse / monitor when gaming at home

I agree. I love the look of a nice pc. I put my case on my desk to show it off. (Fractal Design Define R4 looks so sleek and awesome)

No... I'm not ready for my thread to die, not yet.... nooooo......

No.

I absolutely hate laptops. No, "hate" is too weak of a word. I loath them so much I would buy one if I had the money just to record myself smashing it to pieces. Why? Because obviously I was disappointed with purchases in the past.

Plus you can't customize those ugly things.

You can with a desktop.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I prefer desktops because the keyboards on laptops suck(mechanical keyboards all the way) plus battery life is also an issue

Life.exe is missing

Lol, its not even possible for laptops to be more powerful then desktop, you can fit multiple laptop s in one PC case

i like tinkering with things and i have big hands, so no

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Battery life would need to be good.

Performance per watt would need to meet current high end computers now. The less wattage the better but performance takes a huge hit on that.

I don't want to carry a giant brick around me that is practically stationary. 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

No. I left the laptop scene for the desktop scene because i caught the water cooling bug and i also don't like how mobile GPUs are under-volted 

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

- Will you ditch your desktop if future laptops ha... - NOPE

Personally I don't like laptops. I own one because I needed the portability at one point but I never liked it, or even the high end gaming ones that I couldn't afford. Can't wait to see reviews on the new Surface. Not in any rush to buy one in the near future but I think that's the right way to go.

As for permanently ditching desktops ? Nope, I like tinkering. That's not to say that I don't understand the need for laptops or that I have anything against them, It's just I don't personally like them.

- Now with added  WUB WUB -

If I can use a server in my home to power everything (render games, stream audio and video) then yes. I don't need a lot of power on the go and as long as I can access it remotely I'll be fine. 

- Will you ditch your desktop if future laptops ha... - NOPE

Personally I don't like laptops. I own one because I needed the portability at one point but I never liked it, or even the high end gaming ones that I couldn't afford. Can't wait to see reviews on the new Surface. Not in any rush to buy one in the near future but I think that's the right way to go.

As for permanently ditching desktops ? Nope, I like tinkering. That's not to say that I don't understand the need for laptops or that I have anything against them, It's just I don't personally like them.

I think the sp3 seems like the right move too. I'm anxious to see what apple responds with. A unified osX and iOS platform would be interesting. An iPad shaped device that's a little bigger and thicker with the specs of a macbook pro. The sweet spot between laptop/tablet where you don't compromise anything. That's what we need and what everyone so far has failed at. The SP3 looks like it could be the first real windows tablet to start to kill the notebook market.