Will you ditch your desktop if future laptops had more horsepower?

If I can use a server in my home to power everything (render games, stream audio and video) then yes. I don't need a lot of power on the go and as long as I can access it remotely I'll be fine. 

I think the sp3 seems like the right move too. I'm anxious to see what apple responds with. A unified osX and iOS platform would be interesting. An iPad shaped device that's a little bigger and thicker with the specs of a macbook pro. The sweet spot between laptop/tablet where you don't compromise anything. That's what we need and what everyone so far has failed at. The SP3 looks like it could be the first real windows tablet to start to kill the notebook market. 

I think everyone failed to deliver that before because of hardware limitations. Desktop grade CPU's run really really hot and draw lots of power from mobile devices. The Haswell chips are more efficient in both categories but I think the new 14 nm Broadwell chips are gonna be gamechangers for mobile devices (gonna run even cooler and need even less power). So I wouldn't be surprised if we see more laptop grade tablets pop out once those come out.

Still not gonna ditch my desktop  :D

- Now with added  WUB WUB -

No, I like being able to upgrade things, and the laptop will be obsolete owing to the rise of wearable computers and then probably cybernetics.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I would if somehow laptops became upgradables like a desktop is. I like a desktop because i can upgrade over time so the cost isnt as bad. Also, it would make me think about it more seriously if the price and power were similar to a desktop of the same price.

If a laptop could have equal power to my desktop and still be thin and light then yes. Providing that I could dock it at my desk and use real peripherals and monitors when I get to the office. 

Rig specs: 3930k | 32GB RAM | GTX580 | Asus PB278 | Corsair K90 | Logitech G700 | HD558's 

Nope, they are far too locked on for my liking as you can't easily get a new case/chassis for laptops and the screens are usually not that good. 

no because desktops will also increase in horsepower and games will also require more horsepower

Unless something revolutionary in laptop design happens, no way in hell am I getting a laptop even if it had dual GTX 880M + Extreme Edition mobile i7. My friend has an M18x, that thing lasts about 2 minutes off the charger, outdoes the heater in the room during class, and weighs enough to break my back.

I guess I am going backwards, I had a very high end gaming laptop 3 yrs ago, decided I would rather go high end desktop this time around lol

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

personally i wouldn't ditch my desktop for a laptop i like the fact that desktops are flexible you can change parts and upgrade and downgrade if need be

Never. I like desktops.

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

Probably not as I like upgrading and with a laptop you cannot upgrade except hard drives and RAM.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I have gone from desktop to laptop in the past although it was a step down at the time. I dont think i would want to do that now as the only reason i did it then was because it was a tablet pc and I stayed using laptops for longer then i wanted because i would take it to school from time to time. Now I'm back to a desktop and remember what was good about having something that can be upgraded if needed as well as being able to change things like keyboard and monitor

this is an interesting topic actually. ^_^ tbh those who enjoy having the upgradeability of desktops and enjoy sitting at their desks with a nice large display to do things, then they can keep their desktops but then again gamin laptops nowadays aren't half bad tbh, for those who always need to be on the go and cant waste time sitting at a desk to get work done will certainly benefit from the advancement that's being made in gaming laptops and more or less laptops that are simply powerful enough to run desktop applications, there are 2 kinds of people out there, those who want a desktop and those who want mobility from a laptop :D

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Yes, if in all ways a laptop was better than a desktop at the same price with minimal heat then yes, but i would have a dock fir at home use

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Maybe. If it was more customizable and had one hell of a battery.

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

Well first it would be a engineering merical to achieve the same performance as current high end desktop gpus and cpus(and if that was possible that would mean we would have extremly more powerful desktop hardware by that time). And heat out put would be extreme... I could continue but it would be rather pointless.

If by someone merical it was achieved I still wouldn't switch to a laptop. I love the look of desktop pc's. Also to answer the tablet/smartphone I would never EVER switch to that for gaming. I can't stand my phone for productivity let alone gaming.

Also, if prices where to be acceptable I would purchase a gaming laptop. But it would be a secondary device such as for LAN parties or school or just on the go productivity.

Gaming rig- Cpu- Amd 9590, 16gbs of G Skill Ram, Gpu- GTX 760 windforce 3 edition 2gb. A Thermaltake water 2.0 water cooler for my cpu. Keyboard- Thermaltake Posieden , Case- 750D, Mobo Asus 990fx R2.0. 24 inch Dell LED monitor

If performance was identical, noise levels were the same, cost was the same or only slightly higher for the laptop, and I could very easily dock my laptop to use my keyboard, mouse, and monitors, maybe. However, that is highly unlikely to happen any time in the near future as far as I can imagine, so for now, desktop and laptop both serve different needs for me. 

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC

No, but only because by the time I put decent size monitor on the dsesk a keyboard, mouse and headphone stand I may as well have the box with easy to reach usb ports, power switch and ODD.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.