Anime Club - Heaven Society - Weekly Polling Discussion

mplayer2_2012-07-03_04-09-07cropped.png

I have already discussed this with @Luclocke and @MyInnerFred in the past, now over a month ago now. I have been meaning to create a thread bout this to get more feedback before I actually make the polling thread. This has been what I have been casually mentioning every now and then. I just finally took the time to put all of my thoughts together. I know this is a lot of text but take some time and read through it when you get a chance.

I really think there needs to be more diversity in the offerings in the poll's each week. I think there should be at least one Pre-2007, Post-2007, recent, and current offering each week. This would diversify the offerings each vote. The many votes in the past have been made up of mostly current and the rest recent series. Additionally if something does well but doesnt win bring it back next round and if something does horribly banish it until we cant think of anything else.

To be truthful there have been a couple gems but for the most part current anime arnt so hot in my opinion, especially within the last year or so. An issue I see in that newer anime viewers, at least in the US, never go and watch the anime that broke the ground for many of the current titles. I think is a complete shame. it would also help with some of the titles that rely on anime knowledge. Hayate no Gotoku anyone? Many times this is sadly due to the older animation style which is why GITS 2.0 happened as well as the new Eva movies.

What do you all think of that? For me personally it may actually be easier for me to rewatch older anime, especially ones that it has been a while since I watched, than start something brand new. It will also give me a reason to rewatch them and with all the knowledge and experience I have gained since ill likely get something new or different out of it.

I can suggest many anime but I dont think picking ones each week for the poll would be great because everyone in the club has far less input then. My idea create a thread for anime suggestions. In the OP or second post have a complete list without duplicates. Pick anime from that list relatively in order of whats there trying to stay diverse when making the poll. Then use some of what I mentioned before for creating future polls. This would lessen the need for pms to Luclocke and would allow others to see what is suggested. I could even keep track of how many times something is suggested in the thread in that list. This could possibly give that anime more weight when deciding what should be in the poll.

I plan on managing the thread. I really think there will be more suggestions if this is public. Heck, there might even be some discussion happening there as well. When suggesting I think I might require at least one sentence as to why there are suggesting it and it must not include spoilers. It could also be kinda like a pitch for the anime once we include it in the polls. The main intention however is just stop a mass post of like 20 anime or something.

Also I wonder if there is a way to get more discussion out of the selected anime. To do this someone(s) would really have to lead the charge on this part and try and engage people on/width stuff. I personally think a 24-26 ep series is too much to finish in one week but many of people seem to be fine with it. This doesnt mean that starting a new series cant happen just that the other thread should still be "current" if you know what I mean.

So what do you all think? I would really appreciate your feedback on this as im trying to improve and streamline the suggestion and polling process.

For a good list of anime everyone should check out this picture http://goo.gl/0Ku64G . I linked to is since its large in more ways than one. Sorry that its not that great but its all I could save when my server tanked couple years ago.

Oh and heads up with discussion I am stupendously horrible with names and this definitely includes character names in anime. Until someone corrects me or figures out who I am talking about ill likely just use descriptions that are as accurate as I can remember. :P

@Luclocke @RainColt @TheProfosist @Rockmandash12 @CatCloud @Cryptonite @DarkCrow @EChondo @killers993 @Epitome @GokuLy @lutewan @Izaya Orihara @squirrl @oc0110 @Jaybird @Charger @Legion @ @Laforet

If I missed anyone please let me know.

Oh and if you happen to know what the picture up top is from I give you mad props.

THANK YOU SENPAI FOR PROVIDING ME WITH A POSTER OF ANIMES I SHOULD WATCH!

EDIT: I didnt read the whole post, just clicked the link. too long didnt read lol :\

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

You should watch them with us! I used to have more but like I said thats all that survived and its a combined one that survived but it covers most bases. Just be aware finding some of those is going to be rather tough. Thing is some of those really are the best.

You should watch them with us! I used to have more but like I said thats all that survived and its a combined one that survived but it covers most bases. Just be aware finding some of those is going to be rather tough. Thing is some of those really are the best.

I just finished Sora no Otoshimono, have you watched it?

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

I was thinking something along the same lines when we were waiting for last weeks poll to go up but as a google doc where the members would have edit rights so we could add things and keep a list going. If nothing else it would mean that it wouldn't need to only be one person keeping the list up.

I just finished Sora no Otoshimono, have you watched it?

Started it but it seemed like pure fan service which I wasnt up for at the time.

Started it but it seemed like pure fan service which I wasnt up for at the time.

I recommend reading Kuso Miso Technique ;)

(NOW)War Horse:

(WAS)Old Coop:

I was thinking something along the same lines when we were waiting for last weeks poll to go up but as a google doc where the members would have edit rights so we could add things and keep a list going. If nothing else it would mean that it wouldn't need to only be one person keeping the list up.

Yea, I discussed this with them to try and avoid that stuff from happening in early may but never got around to putting all my ideas together into a thread like this. I did actually suggest a google doc to @Luclocke and @MyInnerFred but it was later in the discussion and mixed in with another, somewhat wild, idea I cooked up. I would like to limit it to 1 or 2 people maybe 3. This is because I would still like to keep proper track and what not. I would allow anyone to be able to view the doc for obvious reasons.

EDIT: I didnt read the whole post, just clicked the link. too long didnt read lol :\

The link has barely anything to do with all the text really, so you really should take some time as read it like I asked in the first sentence or so. I though I spaced it out pretty well.

assemble 4 lists for the criteria you had in the OP (pre 07, post 07, recent, current), the get everybody to vote for their top ten from each list and then based on that create a poll with one show from each of the lists. As you go down the list you can get rid of things that won final polls and it gives everything a chance to be voted in.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

FYI I'm reading all posts on this thread to evaluate what other people think. I personally think its a good idea and I'd give it the go ahead as long as I see a general consensus between members in the club. 

GAmIMnj.gif

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

assemble 4 lists for the criteria you had in the OP (pre 07, post 07, recent, current), the get everybody to vote for their top ten from each list and then based on that create a poll with one show from each of the lists. As you go down the list you can get rid of things that won final polls and it gives everything a chance to be voted in.

I would probably just have 4 columns depending on what I all plan to store in the spreadsheet. I dont want to assemble the lists my self. I still want suggestions to create the lists then each week to make the poll well pull titles from the list in order that they were suggested.

I also proposed that weighted suggestion system where the number of times it has been suggested increases its chance of getting chosen but I dont know if thatll work. Another thing I just thought of is that if something goes to poll and fails I think I should stay on the list but get knocked down to the bottom. The only exception to this might be if It was one vote away from winning or something. The problem with that would be we would basicaly know what the next weks anime would be then, which I dont necessarily like.

FYI I'm reading all posts on this thread to evaluate what other people think. I personally think its a good idea and I'd give it the go ahead as long as I see a general consensus between members in the club. 

*snip*

All of them? Even the big one at the top? :P

We still have to work out that other idea you know. ;) ;)

Come on guys don't be lazy, read the post! 

We still have to work out that other idea you know. ;);)

Yup~

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

So what do you all think? I would really appreciate your feedback on this as im trying to improve and streamline the suggestion and polling process.

I like the idea and if theirs any thing you need ill try my best to help. :)

I  have GameServer`s And VOIP servers the only price is that you have fun on them. 

I really think there needs to be more diversity in the offerings in the poll's each week. I think there should be at least one Pre-2007, Post-2007, recent, and current offering each week. This would diversify the offerings each vote. The many votes in the past have been made up of mostly current and the rest recent series.

i'm not a part of your club so take it for what it means to you, but looking at some of the polls, I think I've already said it, but the choices seem pretty 'meh' to uncompelling to "anyone who even made it in here has seen/knows of this"

don't waste your time, but again, that's just my opinion.

Error: 410

I would probably just have 4 columns depending on what I all plan to store in the spreadsheet. I dont want to assemble the lists my self. I still want suggestions to create the lists then each week to make the poll well pull titles from the list in order that they were suggested.

I also proposed that weighted suggestion system where the number of times it has been suggested increases its chance of getting chosen but I dont know if thatll work. Another thing I just thought of is that if something goes to poll and fails I think I should stay on the list but get knocked down to the bottom. The only exception to this might be if It was one vote away from winning or something. The problem with that would be we would basicaly know what the next weks anime would be then, which I dont necessarily like.

We still have to work out that other idea you know. ;);)

I like the idea of the weighted suggestion system and also moving things that don't win down on the list but maybe keeping the second place anime for the next week. I wouldn't recommend removing anything from the list other then things that won should be moved to another category to mark that they have been watched.

I'm also reading everything posted here lol

Another option would be to make it random and take the 4 lists, pick a random. Show from each and put them in the poll for each week.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

Is it just me or is this sounding more and more like something that could easily use a proper database.

At the moment I'm thinking 4 spreadsheets, one for each list to allow for weighted suggestions and just plain easier sorting. I'm still trying to figure out how I would want to save the sentences about why that anime was suggested or should be coosen. The issue here is that there will be multiple of these if it is suggested more than once.

I also think keeping track of who suggested it to credit them in the poll and discussion threads.

Is it just me or is this sounding more and more like something that could easily use a proper database.

At the moment I'm thinking 4 spreadsheets, one for each list to allow for weighted suggestions and just plain easier sorting. I'm still trying to figure out how I would want to save the sentences about why that anime was suggested or should be coosen. The issue here is that there will be multiple of these if it is suggested more than once.

for some odd reason as soon as you said database the first thing I though of was learning how to use Microsoft Office Access in summer school back in high school in 2003ish... I'm sure i will find a use for that outdated 90% forgotten knowledge  at some point

for some odd reason as soon as you said database the first thing I though of was learning how to use Microsoft Office Access in summer school back in high school in 2003ish... I'm sure i will find a use for that outdated 90% forgotten knowledge at some point

Oh oh I thought the same thing and have the same experience except office 2007. :P

you mean save the sentences in the spreadsheet?if so the use the insert commet.if you want i can help you with making spreadsheets (its kinda my thing)

I  have GameServer`s And VOIP servers the only price is that you have fun on them. 

for some odd reason as soon as you said database the first thing I though of was learning how to use Microsoft Office Access in summer school back in high school in 2003ish... I'm sure i will find a use for that outdated 90% forgotten knowledge  at some point

Did someone say database?

HdbJaPE.gif

Did someone say database?

*snip*

*is on floor seizureing*