[Poll] What's your opinion on e-Sports

Buckley

Me personally I think it's a joke. No way in hell is it a"sport" and I'm actually shocked its going to be in the X-Games which is sad. Wb you guys would you say that gaming is a sport?

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

Anything can be a sport as long as you can compete at it.  Hell, competitive chair rocking could be a sport as long as you can try to be better than the next guy.  Soo i guess in regard to that, competitive E-sports can be considered a sport just as well as damn well anything else :P

E-Sport mean Electronic Sport. They aren't calling it an actual sport such as Football or Basketball but a sport in the realm of technology. Sport means competitive and Games are competitive what more do you want?

I agree that it can be sporting in nature, but by no means is it a sport. It doesn't really fit the definition.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

According to Google a sport is defined as "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment." Video games do not involve physical exertion.

Of course video games is not as physical as a sport like hockey or football, that much is completely obvious. However, competitions happen all the time on large scales that have to do with video games, League of Legends being the largest I think. So yes, it is a sport, but not in the context of football or hockey. Don't be so dense.

I guess they should take Poker off of ESPN since it's not really physical either.

Doesn't fit the definition?

Untitled.png

It doesn't say how MUCH physical exertion. They do train. It's generally not just kids sitting around on a couch playing CoD after school that are competing. It's the people that decide it's something they genuinely enjoy, and that it's something that they want to take further.

My personal opinion? I think E-Sports are fine. Hell, I may even want to get in on it some day, because I'm a pretty good general gamer; I pick things up quicker than most in gaming scenarios (ie: don't die to the same thing 20x), and take a more tactical approach at things, even where it's really not necessary. I still come out on top most of the time, and feel good doing so; I'm competitive. And I enjoy seeing how other people utilize the game for what it is solely to beat the opponent, or to be quicker than the next guy (speedrunning). It takes skill, and a lot of hours, to do what they do.

League, however? I reeaally don't like it. More of a Smite person myself, and even then I'm not much of a Moba player. I focus on MMO's, FPS's, and RTS's.

I really wish that we'd just make organic hardware already, that grows and adapts to the demands it needs to meet. That way, grannies' computers can be floppy sacks of organicness and the 12 year old Minecrafters will look like the guys that only do bicep curls, and the nerdy programmers will finally have justice, with their body-builder rigs that skipped leg day.

CPU: i7-4770k 4.8GHz | Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero | RAM: 16gigs 2133MHz | GPU: SLI Gigabyte OC 2gb 770's | Case: INWIN GRone | Storage: 1tb Blue, 60gb SSD | PSU: Silencer MK II 950w | Cooling: Modded H100i

The first time I ever heard the term E-sports:

My opinion hasn't changed. Competitive, yes. Requires skill, absolutely. But I've never heard chess referred to as a sport. Or poker, even though it's on ESPN.

You're and your are not the same. Neither are their, there, and they're. Defiantly and Definitely are definitely not the same. Definately and Rediculous are not words, and you should feel bad for misspelling them. If English is your first language, you don't have a learning disorder, and you get any of these wrong, you are making the entire forum slightly dumber by doing so. Please take the extra three seconds to type properly, and have a nice day.

<snip>

Can't believe i just watched that. 

My Rig: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

I'm not really into E-Sports, but people can consider them whatever they want.  They do take skill, and they are competitive.  It's just like calling weight-lifting a sport.  It takes tons of physical ability, but not too much skill (I hope I didn't just offend anyone).  It's in the eyes of the beholder I guess.

Esports are cool.

According to Google a sport is defined as "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment." Video games do not involve physical exertion.

I rest my case.

200px-Dance_Dance_Revolution_North_Ameri

On a serious note though

If they can monetize it, its a sport. That's all business cares about.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

Ok I'm being that guy, but couldn't you argue that video games require physical abilities with your thumbs? /s

Ok I'm being that guy, but couldn't you argue that video games require physical abilities with your thumbs? /s

I find it funny both that hands don't have muscles, and that your member thing says "That Guy" just as your post states. 10/10 for continuity.

I really wish that we'd just make organic hardware already, that grows and adapts to the demands it needs to meet. That way, grannies' computers can be floppy sacks of organicness and the 12 year old Minecrafters will look like the guys that only do bicep curls, and the nerdy programmers will finally have justice, with their body-builder rigs that skipped leg day.

CPU: i7-4770k 4.8GHz | Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero | RAM: 16gigs 2133MHz | GPU: SLI Gigabyte OC 2gb 770's | Case: INWIN GRone | Storage: 1tb Blue, 60gb SSD | PSU: Silencer MK II 950w | Cooling: Modded H100i

I laugh every time I hear e-sports.

Just as I laugh when poker is mentioned as a sport, or even chess

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

So... you don't use your muscles at all when gaming? Not even your brain? What are you doing in PC Gaming section, go back to consoles! Basicly any progamer at highest level makes 100+ actions per minute. In RTS/MOBA its measures by how many times you press something. But they as well as FPS games require much more in muscle memory, strategy, endurance...

You can find my points in here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/128467-are-e-sports-an-actual-sport/ I really don't want to retype them. Mainly I agree with this. E-sports are type of sport. Same as motorsports are one type. If we would make sport the base and use as strict definitions as possible, track and field would be only real sport. All others like american football, basketball, soccer, icehockey etc would be just certain type of sport, maybe like ball&stick sports. Or teamsports.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Pool, snooker, chess. All sports. I think it's great people can make money off what they love doing. Saying it's stupid is depriving them. Sure, most people will always be casuals, but it's nice to see the industry growing.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

eSports is not a valid thing IMO.

All the games that should be eSports aren't, (for ex. Natural Selection 2) and all the games that shouldn't be, "are". (LoL, SC)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I find it funny both that hands don't have muscles, and that your member thing says "That Guy" just as your post states. 10/10 for continuity.

Glad you noticed the '/s'.  Not to be that guy or anything.

E-sports is a pretty bad name, Just like every goddamn person using Moba, or Multi-Player Online Batte Arena,  which describes pretty much every game that's played online involves a battle and a closed enviroment that goes from Cod through LoL all the way into WoW battle arena, Instead of ARTS which is ActionRealTimeStrategy, though that term is used by the Dota 2 community, becuase Dota 2 is not a bunch of casual stuff like LoL is.

If agree on general principles which define a sport such as:
-REquires years of practice to become top level

-requires special skillset
-has a business built around it

-People enjoy watching it

then something like Dota 2 (LoL) , Sc2 is a sport and electronic sport, if one is going to be a douchebag and view it from the point that only sport is a sport where someone does something that requires active physical movement than that's a pretty stupid attitude. Me doing my working program makes me sweat and tired and includes lots of physical movement while I continuosly compete with myself physically and mentally to push myself to the limit, doesn't make it a sport.

words are words they mean what meaning people give them, E-sports is the word for competitions that is about playing video games for upwards of 10 million USD.

definitions of words change, just google search: define faggot and the results are not what the daily usage for the word is.

i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz 1.37v, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid, Asus z370-A Prime

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Samsung 960 Evo 256GB, Samsung 850Pro 1TB, WD 3TB HDD

NZXT H440 White, Corsair H100i GTX v2, EVGA 750G2

Corsair AF140 x1, Corsair SP120 x2, Noctua Industrial 3000 RPM x3

They are on the same level as chess and they are called eSports (vgs, not chess) to differentiate them from sports that involve intense physical activity. You can still have sportsmanship in videogames, but they are fundamentally different from, say, tennis. It's like cars and motorcycles, both are vehicles but in a different way.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

games that shouldn't be, "are". (LoL, SC)

I agree on lol, but why shouldn't sc be an esport?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*