What's your definition of an enthusiast?

Buckley

So what makes someone a PC enthusiast in your opinion? Knowledge, dedication, money spent?

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

So the real definition is :

A person who is very interested in a particular activity or subject

My definition:

Someone with a high amount of knowledge and who is interested in an activity or subject, as the real one makes all men "Sex" Enthusiasts xD

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

The people who buy the Extreme series Processors

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

So what makes someone a PC enthusiast in your opinion? Or even something else

Enthusiastic about tech/computers. Knows enough to do water cooling (even if they choose not to do it) or somebody who is willing/wants to learn.

In the PC building world an enthusiast is someone who's willing to pay, whatever the cost, to have the best of the best in terms of performance and/or aesthetics. Or at least, that's how the companies battling for our money see it. 

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

In the PC building world an enthusiast is someone who's willing to pay, whatever the cost, to have the best of the best in terms of performance and/or aesthetics. Or at least, that's how the companies battling for our money see it.

Exactly how I feel

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

I think what makes an enthusiast isn't how much money he spends on tech or how much he knows about tech. What defines a tech enthusiast is dedicating every penny you can spare to your passion and at least half of your free time to gathering knowledge on the subject and physically practicing your hobby, together with being interested in having the best possible solution for the money spent. An enthusiast also feels gratified and excited whenever his/her rig (or rigs) gets an upgrade or (and especially) when a brand new one is built, even if it isn't the most powerful thing ever. An enthusiast also likes to tweak what he has to squeeze every last bit of performance out of it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Probably knowledge and passion.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

You don't have to spend any money to be an enthusiast, train enthusiasts don't always ride on trains, sometimes they just watch them and learn a bout them.  Same with pc, photography, art, reading, or any other hobby,  if you are excited and want to learn about the hobby you are an enthusiast.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

people who care about a subject enough to go on a forum about said subject daily. 

Id say something your passionate about, if you get excited even though its far out of your reach, yet you still spend time looking/learning about it. 

a fool

I would say that an enthusiast has to be someone who is not only passionate but actually knows what they are doing. Also, they can not lean toward a particular company (APPL, for example)

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

someone who dedicates a lot of time (not necessarily a lot of money) and care into technology, assuming that when you say enthusiast on a tech-based forum, that's what you are referring to :D also, someone who stays up to date and is willing to devote their time to help others learn about the same things that bring joy to them... GREAT EXAMPLE: Linus

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

An enthusiast is a person with passion for a particular subject that they go out of their way to learn and interact with said subject to try and learn as much as possible about it. Who also goes out of his or her way to teach others about it or to talk about it as much as possible and in the most detailed way possible. :)

Oh wait, title and OP are not the same questions...

I guess a PC enthusiast is someone who is the above only is aimed at PCs/etc etc.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Someone who begins planning/building things not for pure functionality or use case. YOu know someone who gets a 780ti when they play games a 760 would be good enough for. I think idk xD

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

Knowledge, tech collection ;)

Normal person : Woo , new batman movie coming out !!!!

Pc Enthusiast : Woo , new intel cpus with improoved thermal interface material are coming out ! Also wow 3000 mhz ram , and 1500W PSUs best year ever !

For me an enthusiast combines knowledge and expirience with a desire to go a bit further or a lot further than common users do. That regards everything, not only the hardware itself. It is the research, gathering information and surely built a rig that always tops the last project.

A true enthusiast is willing to go into extremes and tries things with taking the risk things are not always working out the way they were planned ;) . And last but not least enthusiasts have a propper set of tools and helpers to build what they want in the right way.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Somebody who knows more than avarage about PC's and can build a PC. Thats my definition.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s