[TechReport] AMD Gaming Evolved Adds Recording/Streaming Capabilities

Why don't we get back on topic: I posit that the VCE H.264 video encoding is better than Shadowplay. If you disagree with my statement, show that I am wrong.

@Fetzie 

Why do you say this? Doesn't Nvidia use their onboard H.264 encoder too? 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

read the reviews before blaming amd

some of the 1 star 290x reviews are miners complaining, these cards are meant for gaming not mining cryptocurrency (albeit very good at it)

some of the reviews seem to be asus's fault not amd's

some people may have incompatible hardware or incredibly bad luck (one review had 2 cards fail, could be a bad power supply imo)

My experience with amd has been very good, no driver issues at all and my 290 never exceeds 70c even when oc'ed 1159mhz on the core and 1500mhz on the memory.

all the cards i compared are from asus, so if it was a problem with asus then all the cards would have worse reviews, not just AMD

plus you can see that asus actually contacts most people who are having issues in an attempt to assist, which is pretty sweet :)

also I completely understand that people have had great experiences using AMD, it all depends on how lucky you get

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

@Fetzie

They are actually.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

Stop being a fanboy and shut up. This thread is about the new streaming tech, not your debate over drivers. 

Totally 100% mature person right here ^

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

@Fetzie 

I have not experienced the pixelation (i.e. the drop in bitrate) that my friends saw when their nVidia card was put under heavy graphics load while recording with Shadowplay.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Wow the level of fanboyism is strong within this one... Seriously, I have an Nvidia card and I love them. I had bad experiences with AMD. But who cares. I can see the good things they're doing. It's not like they're taking anything from me. 

I think that's great news and hopes it works as well as Shadowplay has been for me. 

This vs. ShadowPlay vs. OBS(x264) vs OBS(QuickSync) vs OBS(NVidia Encoder) comparison for streaming would make for an interesting video.

I bet it will work just as bad as all their drivers do...

Please try to use their hardware before judging. Been using their drivers for a WHILE now with no issues.

Research and Development at Digital Storm

Personal Website: www.DigitalNav.net

Please try to use their hardware before judging. Been using their drivers for a WHILE now with no issues.

it was sarcasm...

Spoiler

I hope this is not all we can expect on this forum with all this new AMD news: endless trolls and endless people dumb enough to feed them.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Well someone refuses to acknowledge the facts...

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/15483-who-makes-better-drivers-amd-vs-nvidia-vs-intel/

Do you want more proof?

Just let me know, I have more if you need.

Even though I agree with you (come on AMD, the corrupt mouse cursor glitch still exists and it's been there for several years now, and your GNU/Linux drivers are awful), a poll here on LTT is not solid evidence.

Neither are newegg reviews for that matter...

You are the one being immature by saying what you did, Stop being Biased Mr ASUS GTX770 DCUII .

Ad hominem

I posit that the VCE H.264 video encoding is better than Shadowplay. If you disagree with my statement, show that I am wrong.

That's not how it works... If YOU make the statement then it's up to YOU to prove that it is correct. It's not up to others to disprove you. It's called "burden of proof".

I hope this is not all we can expect on this forum with all this new AMD news: endless trolls and endless people dumb enough to feed them.

I don't think it's trolls. I suspect that it's just fanboys (from both sides).

What is it with graphics cards threads attracting so many fanboys? Every time I open I read about AMD or Nvidia I just see post after post filled with logical fallacies like cherry picking, anecdotal evidence, generalizations etc.

I don't have an Nvidia GPU so I can't compare it to Shadowplay, but I will probably compare it to QuickSync tomorrow if I can be bothered. Even IF it is worse than Nvidia's and Intel's alternatives (I expect them to be pretty similar) it is still good news for everyone.

AMD users can now record videos which will create more content and it increases competition. Even if you are an Nvidia users you should be glad. Being butthurt that someone gets a new feature is just childish and egoistic. This only makes some peoples' computers better, it doesn't make your own worse.

Even though I agree with you (come on AMD, the corrupt mouse cursor glitch still exists and it's been there for several years now, and your GNU/Linux drivers are awful), a pool here on LTT is not solid evidence.

Neither are newegg reviews for that matter...

These were just some examples...

The average of customer reviews on any website is about the same everywhere, with more people being fully satisfied with nvidia.

Yes linux drivers are awful, my linux teacher had to resort to 3rd party custom drivers. This is both good and bad, because AMD drivers are open source people can modify them to work in certain operating systems. Nvidia drivers are not open source, but will work most of the time for most people. Neither are perfect of course, but if you took all reviews from all over the internet, less people have issues with nvidia.

Spoiler

That's not how it works... If YOU make the statement then it's up to YOU to prove that it is correct. It's not up to others to disprove you. It's called "burden of proof".

I have posted the reason why I believe it is better more than once in this thread.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Can we please go just one week without a tread turning into a AMD/Nvidia pissing match. Just. One. Week.  

Well for the people that have AMD definitely some nice editions to their software.  As for their video cards though while I did buy one AMD card in the past year, a 7850 1 GB, eh it didn't last long in the pc cuz I knew I'd want my son to have Nvidia too cuz of physX possibilities.  Still though AMD has had some cards nicely priced in the past few years and some good gaming bundles too to go with them.  Nothing wrong with AMD but just not for me.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

all the cards i compared are from asus, so if it was a problem with asus then all the cards would have worse reviews, not just AMD

plus you can see that asus actually contacts most people who are having issues in an attempt to assist, which is pretty sweet :)

also I completely understand that people have had great experiences using AMD, it all depends on how unlucky you get

ftfy

Does not change the fact that most negative reviews were from miners, making their opinion pointless from a gaming perspective. 

There are bugs within VCE.

I've been using their VCE for ages.

Seems whether a new or old codec. The overall gpu usage drops affecting performance badly.

Hope they have that fixed.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I bet they are using John Mautari AFbC tech.

#longliveradeonpro

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

sigh :/ look at my sig... 6950 :/ decently powerful... but no software technologies like mantle and now this are supported :/

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Thank you Nav for giving appropriate insight. You really shouldn't be making judgements with out using both pieces of hw. I mean my gtx 560ti was great but so was my hd 7950 and my current r9 290.

Wow, then wouldn't the amd fanboys outweigh the nvidia fanboys?

You can take a look at customer reviews on any site and more people are satisfied with their Nvidia cards than people are with AMD.

This is just a fact. I'm not saying that Nvidia has no problems with their drivers. I'm saying they have less than AMD.

There is no reason to get upset about this matter...everyone has their personal opinion. But a personal opinion will never be more valid that a proven fact.

You mean the Nvidia that had graphics card burning drivers some time ago?

you know that little incident when a driver was literally burning gpus¿

stahp being a fanboy man.

before you call ME an Amd fanboy, my 2nd PC has a Gtx760.

Main rig. Updated :D CPU: FX8350 @stock Cooler: Corsair h110 Motherboard: Ga-990fxa-ud5 Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 1866Mhz GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (blower cooler)  PSU: Cooler Master Silent pro 850w SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue Case: Thermaltake core V71 Fan controler: NZXT Sentry

Secondary PC: CPU: i5 4670k @stock Cooler: Thermaltake NIC L/31 Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 2133Mhz GPU: ZOTAC GTX 780 (Titan cooler) PSU: Antec 520m Pro SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue & WD 2TB Green Case: Thermaltake core V1

You mean the Nvidia that had graphics card burning drivers some time ago?

you know that little incident when a driver was literally burning gpus¿

stahp being a fanboy man.

before you call ME an Amd fanboy, my 2nd PC has a Gtx760.

Yeah ik nvidia had some pretty bad drivers a while ago, but now most stuff is fixed.

If you havent noticed there seems to be at least 2 posts per day on the forum from someone having issues with their AMD graphics card. In comparison, I see about 1 complaint per month about nvidia driver/cards.

AMD really needs to put some effort into making their stuff work for more people...

Maybe it is just that more people are buying AMD cards, idk...

Spoiler

If it isn't as good as Shadowplay which is likely as they don't use a H.265 encoder then what is the point. FRAPS at that point would probably be better. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

If it isn't as good as Shadowplay which is likely as they don't use a H.265 encoder then what is the point. FRAPS at that point would probably be better. 

The point is that it will be a step in the right direction for people who don't use an NV GPU. ShadowPLay didn't start off being perfect. After a few revisions i'm sure this AMD option will be fine as well.

Research and Development at Digital Storm

Personal Website: www.DigitalNav.net