[TechReport] AMD Gaming Evolved Adds Recording/Streaming Capabilities

Used exclusively nvidia cards from '06 to '12, been using my 7970 for over a year 1/2. From my personal experience I havent had any major issues with either. I'll buy and recommend whatever is the best price to performance at that specific price point. Likely won't use shadowplay or this much at all so it isn't a factor for me.

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

If it isn't as good as Shadowplay which is likely as they don't use a H.265 encoder then what is the point. FRAPS at that point would probably be better. 

it works surprisingly well! I tested it myself while playing witcher 2 for about a 10 minute long video and it does not drop your frame rate that much at all. I dropped about 2 fps while recording at 1080p, 60fps (basically max of what it allows). I also wonder how they are doing this..

If it isn't as good as Shadowplay which is likely as they don't use a H.265 encoder then what is the point. FRAPS at that point would probably be better. 

oh apparently they are using the VCE block that is on AMD gpus and apus to accelerate H.264 encoding. Kinda cool :P and btw nvidia gpus also use H.264  

You can also change the continuous recording buffer to anything between 15 seconds and 10 minutes, so if all you are after is an awesome kill shot in battlefield you don't necessarily have to sift through 10 minutes of shit.

wow so even better than shadow play. cheers.

oh apparently they are using the VCE block that is on AMD gpus and apus to accelerate H.264 encoding. Kinda cool :P and btw nvidia gpus also use H.264  

Sorry I got confused between h265 and ht64. Well yea but Nvidia GPU's have a hardware solution for H264 stuff so there is little performance hit. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

it works surprisingly well! I tested it myself while playing witcher 2 for about a 10 minute long video and it does not drop your frame rate that much at all. I dropped about 2 fps while recording at 1080p, 60fps (basically max of what it allows). I also wonder how they are doing this..

Can u try on game that kinda CPU intensive and use DX9? I can't wait to try this after work. I expect similar performance if not better than using OpenEncodeVFW+MSI Afterburner.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Shadowplay I got 0 performance hit. But that is just me I would imagine others get a larger performance hit. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

The point is that it will be a step in the right direction for people who don't use an NV GPU. ShadowPLay didn't start off being perfect. After a few revisions i'm sure this AMD option will be fine as well.

It still isn't perfect but it's better than any other implementation out there. It's better than a hardware solution to as it's free and it has very similar performance. I don't understand why anyone would ever use anything other than Shadowplay unless you wanted more advanced features. Features that I hop Nvidia implements at some point. Like having different scenes.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

It still isn't perfect but it's better than any other implementation out there. It's better than a hardware solution to as it's free and it has very similar performance. I don't understand why anyone would ever use anything other than Shadowplay unless you wanted more advanced features. Features that I hop Nvidia implements at some point. Like having different scenes.

Maybe they dont have an NVIDIA GPU? ...  :rolleyes: 

Research and Development at Digital Storm

Personal Website: www.DigitalNav.net

These were just some examples...

The average of customer reviews on any website is about the same everywhere, with more people being fully satisfied with nvidia.

Yes linux drivers are awful, my linux teacher had to resort to 3rd party custom drivers. This is both good and bad, because AMD drivers are open source people can modify them to work in certain operating systems. Nvidia drivers are not open source, but will work most of the time for most people. Neither are perfect of course, but if you took all reviews from all over the internet, less people have issues with nvidia.

Both AMD and Nvidia got open source drivers for GNU/Linux.

I have posted the reason why I believe it is better more than once in this thread.

Okay sorry I missed your previous posts.

What I will do (once I feel like it) is record my screen while playing a movie in MPC-HC and then grab a few random frames from the videos and compare them. That way we will be able to see which one has the best picture quality (between QuickSync and this at least).

I'll use a video in MPC-HC in order to get consistent results, instead of a game where things can vary a lot.

When (or if) I do it, I'll upload the test procedures here on LTT so that people can compare other programs as well.

Please try to use their hardware before judging. Been using their drivers for a WHILE now with no issues.

I don't get this "if you don't have X then don't comment on X" attitude that has been gaining popularity over the last few years.

Does owning X right now make you more qualified to comment on X? No it does not. In fact, not owning the product can help you judge it more objectively since you got nothing to lose if it's bad (if you own it and it got flaws it is easy to ignore them and pretend like it's perfect). That's not to say that someone who doesn't own it is more qualified to comment on X either, because if he owns Y then that person *might* ignore flaws in their own product and instead try to make the competing product as bad as possible. MIGHT is the key word here. Just because someone owns or doesn't own something doesn't affect the validity of their statements. Once you start saying "you shouldn't comment on X because you own Y" then you've you resorted to logical fallacies instead of keeping the discussion objective.

Both Nvidia and AMD has their share of issues in their drivers. Like I mentioned earlier they still haven't fixed the cursor corruption issue. This is a bug that has been in their Windows drivers for 5 or more years and they still haven't been bothered to fix it. I am not sure if they are incompetent or lazy, but it's one of the two. The time it took for them to fix the micro stuttering was several years too long as well. I remember talking about it many years ago on a different tech forum, and last year AMD went "oh we have huge issues with micro stuttering? Damn we better fix that now". I have no idea how they could let that slip under their radar when people were shouting about it on forums many years before they even acknowledge it.

Sounds like I am bashing AMD a lot here but trust me, I got plenty more crap I could throw at them but I won't (at least not in this thread). Nvidia are equally if not more incompetent from time to time though. To start with a minor annoyance I've had to help people with over and over... They don't have full dynamic range for video playback enabled in their drivers by default. Their default setting is 16-255 instead of 0-255, so movies looks washed out. (This might have been corrected but last time I checked it was not). Why Nvidia think showing true blacks (0,0,0) as dark gray (16,16,16) is beyond my comprehension.

That's just a really really minor annoyance compared to the multiple (3 that I know of) drivers Nvidia has released that physically destroy their cards. The 196.75 and the 320.18 driver killed cards and there was one more but it is a lot harder to find info about. I think it was a beta driver that quickly got pulled once they noticed it disabled something related to either overheating protection, or accidentally messed with the voltage.

I don't have an Nvidia card but I still know about those issues, and I am still able to comment on them just fine. By your logic, I should not judge Nvidia's 320.18 driver simply because I personally did not have my graphics card killed by it, and that logic is pure bullshit.

I can bash whatever I want and whomever I want as long as I have valid reasons backed up by objective proof. I don't have to own an Nvidia card to say they fucked up with their card killing drivers. I don't have to be a more popular singer than Rebecca Black to say her songs are crap. I don't have to play football as well as some football player to say that person didn't play well in a particular match. I don't have to be a woman to say it is silly to whine that you can't play as a female MC in some particular game.

The person making a statement is almost never relevant. If you have to bring up something you deem negative about the person into the conversation then you're thrown all logic and reason out the window.

Sorry for the rant but this has been annoying me for quite some time now, and it just keeps getting more and more common. Not just on LTT but in general.

Just tried it. I have to say its pretty awesome! Both the loop recording also called replay works perfectly for up to 10 minutes and recording works awesome too. picture quality is good and not pixelated at all. Better than almost anything I have tried including fraps, dxtory and bandicam. I also got almost 0 dropped frames or if I did it was just too small to understand it. I recorded at 1080p 60fps with max bitrate set to 40mb/s. I LOVE IT :D

AMD FX 8320@ Stock - Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 - Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz - Corsair Carbide 200R - Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 PCS+OC@970Mhz core 1400Mhz memory - Corsair CS650W - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
LG 22EA53VQ 21.5" - CM Storm Xornet - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Creative Inspire T3130 2.1

Maybe they dont have an NVIDIA GPU? ...  :rolleyes: 

Yea I know that is why it's good that AMD is doing this. It's like the G-Sync thing, It is really good for competition and for us because we get lots of cool stuff and it's usually for free.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

I bet it will work just as bad as all their drivers do...

well for me they work good soo

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Just tried it. I have to say its pretty awesome! Both the loop recording also called replay works perfectly for up to 10 minutes and recording works awesome too. picture quality is good and not pixelated at all. Better than almost anything I have tried including fraps, dxtory and bandicam. I also got almost 0 dropped frames or if I did it was just too small to understand it. I recorded at 1080p 60fps with max bitrate set to 40mb/s. I LOVE IT :D

whats the replay time

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Can u try on game that kinda CPU intensive and use DX9? I can't wait to try this after work. I expect similar performance if not better than using OpenEncodeVFW+MSI Afterburner.

i'll do it on borderlands 2 :)

mine doesnt work i set a hotkey and nothing

Spoiler

mine doesnt work i set a hotkey and nothing

Try changing recording and temp-recording location, it didn't record when i use one of my drive as temp-recording. Probably permission issue.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Right now i seems to only work on 32 bit applications.. tested by forcing bf4 from 64 bit to 32 bit.. 

Quick quality test with payday.. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIAlXG_cyxg

Dxtory left | AMD Gaming Evolved right
Dxtory 1:08 minutes 2.54GB | AMD Gaming Evolved 1:07 minutes 404MB

Dxtory using lagarith lossless codec, mode YUY2

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

whats the replay time

I set mine to 1 minute

AMD FX 8320@ Stock - Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 - Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz - Corsair Carbide 200R - Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 PCS+OC@970Mhz core 1400Mhz memory - Corsair CS650W - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
LG 22EA53VQ 21.5" - CM Storm Xornet - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Creative Inspire T3130 2.1

hey so I tried it on borderlands 2 like you asked and the results are the same! barely any fps drop, maybe 1-2 frames max :)

Right now i seems to only work on 32 bit applications.. tested by forcing bf4 from 64 bit to 32 bit.. 

Quick quality test with payday.. 

Dxtory left | AMD Gaming Evolved right

Dxtory 1:08 minutes 2.54GB | AMD Gaming Evolved 1:07 minutes 404MB

Dxtory using lagarith lossless codec, mode YUY2

Yup, and only for games in Raptr library. I can't even manually add rFactor 2 into Raptr.

hey so I tried it on borderlands 2 like you asked and the results are the same! barely any fps drop, maybe 1-2 frames max :)

Same here, i tried Dota 2, Dirt 3 and Max Payne 3, only 1%-2% performance drop.

Btw, if u experiencing slow motion video playback or your Dota 2 heroes start to sound like Transformer, change your window audio setting to 48000hz. :P

Well someone refuses to acknowledge the facts...

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/15483-who-makes-better-drivers-amd-vs-nvidia-vs-intel/

Do you want more proof?

Just let me know, I have more if you need.

Dual 7970s here planning to go to Nvidia next generation for shield. Ain't ever had an issue with drivers, only time I've had an issue is back when I didn't have a gap between them and in a tiny ass case. Was overheating to 110. Went back to atx with a gap quickly :-P

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

Dual 7970s here planning to go to Nvidia next generation for shield. Ain't ever had an issue with drivers, only time I've had an issue is back when I didn't have a gap between them and in a tiny ass case. Was overheating to 110. Went back to atx with a gap quickly :-P

That's great :) You're lucky you haven't had those black screen issues others have had :P

I guess those were only on the newer 290 series though...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

So, only a ten minute cap? Nothing more?

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.