Windows 8.2 and Windows Phone 8.2 Coming Out Soon, Report Suggest

GoodBytes

Neowin reports that it has trusted sources that reveals that Microsoft has started wide spread internal testing of Windows 8.2 and Windows Phone 8.2, which suggests that both OSs are coming out in the coming months.

We have heard this information from two different sources over a span of several weeks, and while the content is not especially detailed in terms of features, it does provide a bit of insight into the continuing development process. When you know how far along each product is in development, of course, it helps to build up some idea - however vague - of when it might be released to the public.

Windows Phone 8.1 GDR1 is currently being dogfooded inside of Microsoft. This means that Microsoft is in a later stage of internal testing and is beginning its preparations for release later this year. Internally, the update is still being referred to by its 'GDR' (General Distribution Release') name, but it remains unclear if this will be the name that Microsoft attaches to the update when it is released. The most recent GDR update was renamed as 'Update 3', so Microsoft could take this approach instead.

Neowin also says that it had previously received rumors that suggests that the update to both, is coming sometime in July. And the above information would suggest that this July release target rumor is possibly true.

There are no information on what is to expected. However, Microsoft did says and showed in their BUILD event that the new Start Menu and ability to run Metro apps in window modes, are coming in a 'later update' at the time. So, it is expected to be in Windows 8.2.

new_windows_8_start_menu.jpg

Image source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/03/windows_desktop_updates/

Source:

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-9-windows-82-and-windows-phone-81-gdr1-a-few-tidbits-of-information

I hope we get start menu...

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Hopefully they will drop the bing thing or give it a major overhaul and make it actually usable.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I hope we get start menu...

Yes it will, 8.1 already has a start menu. (not a 3rd party either)

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I don't even want a start menu, I just want to run apps in windows. Surely I can't be the only one that feels that the Start screen is better, right?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I don't even want a start menu, I just want to run apps in windows. Surely I can't be the only one that feels that the Start screen is better, right?

I also like the win 8.1 start menu better, idk what everyone's problem is...

Thank you. I actually kinda hate the regular Windows 7-esque start menu now.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

They are not realizable windows.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

True, so true.

I think windows 8 looks pretty nice, I like the modern feel :)

I would be using it right now I'f I wasn't so lazy to recrack all my programs...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Please give us the start menu, at least as an option. Plzzzzzz.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

Yes it will, 8.1 already has a start menu. (not a 3rd party either)

When did that happen?

When did that happen?

Dunno when it was released but it's on all the edustar images (dept. of education).  

Wait but WP 8.1 is not released yet... 

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

I like options. Let Metro be default and give me the option to disable it for a start menu, and then even give me an option for a Windows 7 or 8 start menu.

People like OPTIONS, so why does everything need to be one or the other with you(Microsoft)?

Honestly, I don't even use the Start Menu that much in Windows 7, but if I am using Windows 8, I don't want the Metro UI on my system, I don't want to use any of the apps, I don't want it. And that is my preference, so give me that option.

I like that start menu except for oh god, they just dont get it, WE DONT USE METRO APPS,remove them all everysingle one,they are pointless weather and date in start menu wtf? waste of resources and annoying.

I dont get it really... i havent used a single app since i have windows 8,i understand they want to try new things but they are pointless not to mention most of them report stuff from US,like weather news and shit i have nothing to do with that.

I haven't even received the windows phone 8.1 update yet...

ive got the developer preview only... this caught me surprised... maybe they will completly skip 8.1

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

win 7 is good, give it a try people D:

Imma still using Win7. I think I will use in my future PC(s) I don't want to learn to use one more OS:D 

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

I haven't even received the windows phone 8.1 update yet...

Get on the developer preview. It worth it. 

ive got the developer preview only... this caught me surprised... maybe they will completly skip 8.1

Yeah that's what I thought too when I read this. Like already !? But they won't skip 8.1. It takes so long for the updates to make it to all phones. Once it's available for all, carriers will slow down the process and it will take like 3-4 months before people will be able to update. 

Get on the developer preview. It worth it. 

Yeah that's what I thought too when I read this. Like already !? But they won't skip 8.1. It takes so long for the updates to make it to all phones. Once it's available for all, carriers will slow down the process and it will take like 3-4 months before people will be able to update. 

yeah probably :P enjoying cortana? i find it awesome

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Win 8 ftw.  I don't want the old Start Menu.  The old Start menu is old.  The few basic functions I do use it for are instantly made redundant by Win+R.  Win+Q is a far faster search too.

What I do want is more control over the full screen apps, even though I don't really use them.

yeah probably :P enjoying cortana? i find it awesome

She's cool. But I don't use here that much for now. She does set my alarms like a champ though :P 

Biggest features for me are Quiet Hours (which require Cortana), the notification center. swype, auto-update apps. And that background picture feature is cool too.

She's cool. But I don't use here that much for now. She does set my alarms like a champ though :P

Biggest features for me are Quiet Hours (which require Cortana), the notification center. swype, auto-update apps. And that background picture feature is cool too.

i dont use swype (seems like a gimmick, gimme swiftkey), but i use her for navigation, alarms, searching, everything :P

really the only thing i miss from droid is swiftkey :/ anyhow, ill write up an iSwitched in about 2-3 weeks anyway