Windows 8.2 and Windows Phone 8.2 Coming Out Soon, Report Suggest

GoodBytes

Yes it will, 8.1 already has a start menu. (not a 3rd party either)

Not....

This is not accurate at all. The images you're thinking of are of a future patch, looks like it will be 8.2, Windows 8.1 does not in fact have a start menu unless you get a 3rd party one.

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

Not....

This is not accurate at all. The images you're thinking of are of a future patch, looks like it will be 8.2, Windows 8.1 does not in fact have a start menu unless you get a 3rd party one.

it has it... i have stock 8.1 and it has a start menu. i dont remember if it has to, but its only an option to enable/disable it. (might be disabled default)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

i dont use swype (seems like a gimmick, gimme swiftkey), but i use her for navigation, alarms, searching, everything :P

really the only thing i miss from droid is swiftkey :/ anyhow, ill write up an iSwitched in about 2-3 weeks anyway

For one handed operation it's the fastest for me. Not so much if I got two hands. It would take keymonk to make it faster with both thumbs... 

it has it... i have stock 8.1 and it has a start menu. i dont remember if it has to, but its only an option to enable/disable it. (might be disabled default)

Did you buy a prebuilt system? I heard some companies were installing 3rd party start menus in Windows 8 to please their customers (bloatware imo)

also start button (which was introduced in 8.1) is not the same as the start menu :P

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

Download ClassicShell for an amazing start menu either like windows 7 or 8.1 designed. Best one out there and free

I Love Playing CS:GO!

Current 

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI A78M-E45 | Sapphire R7 265 | Cougar Solution | Cooler Master Hyper T4 | ADATA XPg V1.0 1600Mhz 8GB | Fractal Design 650W

Not....

no, when I said images, I meant disk images, they are not the future they are real and in use as we speak.  They are straight up windows 8.1 image, with the only modification to the install being proxy setting for the network.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

no, when I said images, I meant disk images, they are not the future they are real and in use as we speak.  They are straight up windows 8.1 image, with the only modification to the install being proxy setting for the network.

I think you might be a bit confused. ;)

Here's an article showcasing the various 3rd party start menu's you can download: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-get-the-start-menu-back-in-windows-8/

Here's another: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/141702-how-to-bring-the-start-menu-and-button-back-to-windows-8

Another article stating the return of the start button and NOT the start screen: http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/30/windows-8-1-to-get-start-button-boot-to-desktop-option/

Here's some offical windows 8.1 steps to nav the start SCREEN: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/where-is-start-menu

Please provide proof of your claim with screenshots or something. I've been using Windows 8 since beta  :P

EDIT: 

Dunno when it was released but it's on all the edustar images (dept. of education).  

There's your answer, it was built into the image, which is not an official start menu. There unfortunately is no official start menu as of yet, which is why they are still talking about bringing it back :)

Also lets not get confused by the start menu vs start screen. :D

This post I made earlier might give you some insight as to why your prebuilt windows 8 image has a start menu:

Did you buy a prebuilt system? I heard some companies were installing 3rd party start menus in Windows 8 to please their customers (bloatware imo)

also start button (which was introduced in 8.1) is not the same as the start menu  :P

Great that the Windowed Metro apps are coming soon as always had to Alt-tab out of the fullscreen metro app to access my browser and other applications instead of having them on the same desktop and easily switching between them (wasn't a big fan on the split windows feature that allows you to split the screen to allow you to see both the desktop and the metro app). I'm currently using Windows Phone 8.1 Developer's preview on my HTC 8S and its has been a pretty large improvement imo from Windows Phone 8, Wonder what kinds of neat features they will add in the next version. :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer