EA plans a "fundamental shift" in how it makes games, says CEO

Rafy

1. Stop forcing Origin(optional)

2. Get rid of Battlelog

3. Release FINISHED games

4. Stop cramming DLC down our throats

Until you fix those four things, I'm not buying your games, ever. Last one was BF3. I don't care how good Hardline is, or Mirror's Edge 2. You and Ubisoft have made your beds and you will lie in it until you change the sheets.

2. Get rid of Battlelog

Until you fix those four things, I'm not buying your games, ever. Last one was BF3. I don't care how good Hardline is, or Mirror's Edge 2. You and Ubisoft have made your beds and you will lie in it until you change the sheets.

I'm going to torrent all of EA and ubishits games untill they get their shit together, I mean you know you're an incompetent company when pirating a game is less of a hassle than getting from the company. 

Why don't people like paid DLC? I mean, devs make (for example) 3-4 maps for your multiplayer experience and add a few new mechanics here and there for a relatively low price. It keeps the game from getting old and they usually have a season pass sort of thing so you can get it cheaper. I just see it as a way to support the dev team so they'll make the next game better. Just my two cents.

Maybe it is because we have games from earlier points in the series that had four times as many in the base game, and the base game wasn't nigh-on unplayable for the first third of a year after release?

Because people expect games to cost exactly what they cost 30 years ago, and for them to cost that price forever. They don't care about the increase in inflation or the fact the games cost a hell of a lot more to produce these days. Sorry, but the next Battlefield won't release for free, and you shouldn't expect the DLC to either.

How much of the budget for the latest "AAA" titles has been for marketing? I'd be willing to bet it is at least a third, getting on for half. I don't expect it to be free, I do expect it to fucking work out of the box, without needing to download a gigabyte or two of patches.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Maybe it is because we have games from earlier points in the series that had four times as many in the base game, and the base game wasn't nigh-on unplayable for the first third of a year after release?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Change it in as find a way to make making games cheaper to gain bigger profits. I love the quote by Steve Jobs (who I am not a big fan of but it's a good quote) where he states that when a company or companies gain a monopoly in an industry the products the company makes no longer matter, because of this the people getting promoted are not those that make and therefore care about the products but rather those that advertise and promote them. In other words I think the only way we can stop this industry from becoming incredibly stale and un-competitive we need to choose which games we buy more wisely. Or some legislation needs to be put in-place by government to help make the market make better decisions. I don't know how they would do that but that is their job not mine. I'm just a mushroom, we are fed shit and live in the dark. Like every other chef.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Too bad they won't kill Origin.

The one thing Origin has going for it, at least, is that it's not Uplay... which is, of course, more than can be said for Uplay.

Both this and Microsoft giving a damn about PC gaming will happen at the same time... never.Well, I'll believe it when I see it.

You should probably read this Link

My GPU History: GTS 250, 7790, 7850, GTX 660ti, 7870XT, 7970, 280X, 280X Crossfire, 290, 290X, Fury X, 390 Crossfire, Fury Crossfire, 1070, 1080, 1080ti.

My CPU History: Pentium 4, Pentium E5300, Core 2 Quad QX 9650, Intel Xeon 1230 v3, 4790K, 3930K, 5820K, 1700, 3700X.

Origin is just fine folks. We NEED competition to Steam plain and simple. 

You done hur'd your dur. 

In fairness to EA, they have done some things much better than they used to. Game Time was a great feature, and because of it I got enough experience with BF4 that I'm going to buy it once I have more time on my hands. I probably wouldn't have done so otherwise.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

"At the end of the day if we build a great game, it doesn't matter."

I beg to differ, it's not quite that simple.  Sure there are amazing games that are guaranteed sellers like Pokémon, Mario and Zelda (go Ninty!), but there are also plenty of great games fail to shittier models:  CoD > BF, WoW > Wildstar, LoL > Dota2 (or for a sadder example, Demigod).

Franchises like the incredible, imaginative and hilarious No One Lives Forever and NOLF2 died out because people bought WW2/modern shooters with regenerative health and the attention span of Michael Bay experiencing a sugar fuelled tantrum rampage.

"At the end of the day if we build a great game, it doesn't matter."

I beg to differ, it's not quite that simple.  Sure there are amazing games that are guaranteed sellers like Pokémon, Mario and Zelda (go Ninty!), but there are also plenty of great games fail to shittier models:  CoD > BF, WoW > Wildstar, LoL > Dota2 (or for a sadder example, Demigod).

Franchises like the incredible, imaginative and hilarious No One Lives Forever and NOLF2 died out because people bought WW2/modern shooters with regenerative health and the attention span of Michael Bay experiencing a sugar fuelled tantrum rampage.

Lol for a second I thought you were saying that CoD was better than BF, but then I realized you meant it was selling better. The problem there is that BF decided to try and steal CoD fanboys, something the community was against because we didn't want to play with screaming 8 year olds that constantly drop shot and have string taped to their screen.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I thought I remembered the title from somewhere and then I saw the date.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

• 3 weeks later...

In my opinion Origin is the worst thing EA has ever done. I don't care that "Steam needs competitors".

A little while ago I lost all my games on origin. Like *poof* just gone from my account. And I've had no way to get them back. So no more origin for me please. When mirror's edge 2 comes out it better be released on steam or on disc, without a "Requires Origin to play" code, or I won't get it. Or any other EA games.

Sorry, but $50 for 20 maps isn't viable to me, especially when a new Battlefield is being churned out every 1-2 years now(major releases(Since BF:BC2)). Battlefield is going the way of CoD, so unless they do a 180 right now and go back to their ways of Bad Company and the original Battlefields, then the series is officially dead. I'm not going to spend over $100 every 2 years(average) just to keep "up-to-date" with the series. If a Battlefield game came out maybe once every 3-4 years(minimum), then I'd reconsider, but I might as well buy the new BF when it's $30 a couple months after release off of a crummy Origin/Amazon sale and then pick up promotional free DLC along with it(or wait for the 50% off sale on that too), get my BF fill, then by the time I've enjoyed the game, the next one comes or has came out and repeat.

You know what killed CoD? The excessive amount of DLC, the blatant money grabbing. CoD4 is STILL being played to this day, you know how many maps that game had? Sixteen from the basegame and four from the ONE DLC it had, you know how many good maps were in that game? Twenty. All twenty maps were amazing. The fact that EA even offers "Premium" status just goes to show that they even know their DLC is going to be crap, so why not save $5 off of every single one? You're gonna buy them anyway since only "one good map and three cruddy ones", so instead of releasing a game with ten good maps, we'll put in filler content and then charge you more for the better maps we've set aside.

Enjoy your lackluster multiplayer. When the servers get shutdown, don't come crying here. I'll be too busy still playing Cod4 and Halo: CE.

If the ps3 version of cod4 wasn't that hacked...

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

translation: we'll still fuck you in the ass, but we'll use lube now because we care

Most likely part of that is lies, but at least EA has already done some fixing, so EA has at least a little credibility, unlike Ubisoft, which has absolutely no credibility left whatsoever. Origin has improved quite a bit since it's release and actually has some good things that Steam doesn't have (but most of the time Steam is still superior).

At least now EA is fixing things by actually fixing the issues and not relied on excuses what Ubish*t has blurred out recently.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Most likely part of that is lies, but at least EA has already done some fixing, so EA has at least a little credibility, unlike Ubisoft, which has absolutely no credibility left whatsoever. Origin has improved quite a bit since it's release and actually has some good things that Steam doesn't have (but most of the time Steam is still superior).

At least now EA is fixing things by actually fixing the issues and not relied on excuses what Ubish*t has blurred out recently.

Hell even if they didn't do any fixing they eventually admitted they screwed up they didn't say oh but its more cinematic or oh we left that there to screw with pirates or any one of the 100ish bullshit comments Ubisofts made in recent times.

EA>Ubi all day long also while I dislike Origin it's still a shit load better then Uplay.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

Hell even if they didn't do any fixing they eventually admitted they screwed up they didn't say oh but its more cinematic or oh we left that there to screw with pirate or any one of the 100ish bullshit comments Ubisofts made in recent times.

EA>Ubi all day long also while I dislike Origin it's still a shit load better then Uplay.

True that. EA at least admits it's mistakes, while Ubisoft blames everyone else, but itself.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Great more companies talking out of their ass. Im looking at you ubisoft

Personal computer master race

• 1 month later...

I don't know wither to believe them or not. I hope Ubisoft start using this type of language also. Game company's should somehow be held accountable for releasing broken, unfinished games at full price.  

So they plan on doing what other game making companies did with old consoles-making sure things aren't broken before they go on sale.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt and believe what they say.  That way if they fail I have more reason to be mad at them, and if they succeed there's no reason to praise them because all they did was meet my expectations and do what they said they would do.

-Jarro

2. Get rid of Battlelog

Not going to happen

• 2 weeks later...

I love EA because they give free game (battlefield 3 is best free game). You can return the games and longer support of Battlefield 4. I love EA and his games :D

Microsoft is better off with their sexboxes and emotion detecting bras. I don't believe anything of it. If EA is being that much sincere to PC gaming, then where the hell is command&conquer? Will see about this matter, Microsoft and EA, i will see!