Is my CPU bottle-necking PLZ HALP! :)

The feedback on this problem is unbelievable! I learned so much :) The community here is appreciative and helpful, and I couldn't be more satisfied. The suggestions, comments, constructive criticism etc. is amazing! Special Thanks to: Priller, Sintezza, Sonefiler, Manny Calavera, and FrozenIpaq for the help!

Side Note: As much as you've suggested a 4670k, ill stick with the 4770k. For the reason is that I also do a lot of multimedia projects (editing mainly) it would be way more beneficial to get that. This has been a great learning experience! (Sorry if i missed your name, these were the ones I thought of off the top of my head :D)  

The feedback on this problem is unbelievable! I learned so much :) The community here is appreciative and helpful, and I couldn't be more satisfied. The suggestions, comments, constructive criticism etc. is amazing! Special Thanks to: Priller, Sintezza, Sonefiler, Manny Calavera, and FrozenIpaq for the help!

Side Note: As much as you've suggested a 4670k, ill stick with the 4770k. For the reason is that I also do a lot of multimedia projects (editing mainly) it would be way more beneficial to get that. This has been a great learning experience! (Sorry if i missed your name, these were the ones I thought of off the top of my head :D)  

Hmm your problem is your psu: Topower 700W bronze rating 

Get a new one, the one you have isn't up to the job shitty psu.

Hmm your problem is your psu: Topower 700W bronze rating

Get a new one, the one you have isn't up to the job shitty psu.

Lmao no?

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

Uh yes they got a fail award: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/08/30/topower_1000w_gold_power_supply_review/9#.U5-iXPl_ssQ

It's just a firework classified one.

So? I'm not saying its a good psu but a shitty psu probably wouldn't cause this minorly low fps

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

So? I'm not saying its a good psu but a shitty psu probably wouldn't cause this minorly low fps

Dude first I thought he recorded it with a cam but apparently its with software, having 5sec freezes is complety abnormal thats all because of that crap psu

Dude first I thought he recorded it with a cam but apparently its with software, having 5sec freezes is complety abnormal thats all because of that crap psu

I purchased a corsair tx 1000w PSU silver because my gpu may have been too much to handle, it is sitting the box ready to use whenever

I purchased a corsair tx 1000w PSU silver because my gpu may have been too much to handle, it is sitting the box ready to use whenever

Get it out and install it. You shouldn't be using unknown brand psu's in the first place.

Get it out and install it. You shouldn't be using unknown brand psu's in the first place.

Ok sir! Thank you kindly:D

Your cpu is pretty decent but it does create a bottle neck. It performs great for the price but its not a godly performing processor like some people deacribe it as.

First of all. You can run the 290 off of a 500w psu. And PSU doesnt change performance, of it was lacking power it would shut off. The power it gives may not be clean power and may make your comppnents die faster but it wont change performance.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

One last thing.... Is my mobo OCable?

What you should be asking and this is to yourself, is if your motherboard has the latest BIOS on it.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

What you should be asking and this is to yourself, is if your motherboard has the latest BIOS on it.

as i've said, i have little knowledge of Ocing and tweaking of internal computer components. I am grateful of the help I receive but please don't get snarky if I don't ask the 'right' question :)

as i've said, i have little knowledge of Ocing and tweaking of internal computer components. I am grateful of the help I receive but please don't get snarky if I don't ask the 'right' question :)

I was not "snarky" with you, was just saying is all.....this is snarky.....d hell is HALP isn't English taught where you are from :P

Have you installed the latest BIOS for your motherboard? Also, you need to check the link speed of you GPU in the motherboard's BIOS as well. Your highest link speed is PCIe 2.0 x16 and while we are on this topic and this is just a routine question so don't take it as an insult....is your GPU in the first light blue PCIe slot?

EDIT

I just checked the latest BIOS for your motherboard and i believe updating it won't help as the latest BIOS version is 2012/12/20 which won't have any optimization for your GPU and i fear that this maybe the culprit and there is nothing you can do unless Gigabyte gives an updated BIOS for newer GPUs.

Guys, that his cpu bottlenecks his R9 290 or whatever doesnt matter at all. The point is he shouldn't have 5 seconds freezes, a 290 at 30% load doesnt sound normal at all thats all because of that crappy psu that is barely within the atx spec. Ripple is way over, voltages reg aren't sharp and its boom classified.

Does this also happen when your NOT recording.?

Or.. Just when Recording..?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I was not "snarky" with you, was just saying is all.....this is snarky.....d hell is HALP isn't English taught where you are from :P

Have you installed the latest BIOS for your motherboard? Also, you need to check the link speed of you GPU in the motherboard's BIOS as well. Your highest link speed is PCIe 2.0 x16 and while we are on this topic and this is just a routine question so don't take it as an insult....is your GPU in the first light blue PCIe slot?

EDIT

I just checked the latest BIOS for your motherboard and i believe updating it won't help as the latest BIOS version is 2012/12/20 which won't have any optimization for your GPU and i fear that this maybe the culprit and there is nothing you can do unless Gigabyte gives an updated BIOS for newer GPUs.

Apologies Leonard :) I am upset that i spent money and all this and is not near the performance I expected, i am frazzled and i hope you accept my apology :) To address the pacement of the GPU is the PCI-E x16 slot it is in the top (presumably first) light blue PCI-E slot. If my CPU is bottlenecking I have looked at the savior to my problem. Item Numero one: two: http://extreme-pc.ca/showproduct.asp?productid=378561&menu1id=12&menu2id=90&menu3id=34 To address the 4770k thing: I do lots of multimedia projects and I know that hyperthreading is a great performance increase over a 4670k. Sorry if you have seen me explain this WHOLE DAMN THING BEFORE but it seems if i don't remind them it isn't as effective at determining the solution. Thanks have a great day/night etc.!

Does this also happen when your NOT recording.?

Or.. Just when Recording..?

I record with DxTory using 8 processing Threads, Lagarith Lossless codec, 1080p. The problem may be my write speed.... it doesn't seem very fast despite it being a WD caviar green. It never happens during play, however when i play the recording in Sony Vegas or WMC it is laggy, on the less intensive bits not as much if at all.

Apologies Leonard :) I am upset that i spent money and all this and is not near the performance I expected, i am frazzled and i hope you accept my apology :) To address the pacement of the GPU is the PCI-E x16 slot it is in the top (presumably first) light blue PCI-E slot. If my CPU is bottlenecking I have looked at the savior to my problem. Item Numero one: http://extreme-pc.ca/showproduct.asp?productid=380766&menu1id=12&menu2id=83&menu3id=44 Item Numero two: http://extreme-pc.ca/showproduct.asp?productid=378561&menu1id=12&menu2id=90&menu3id=34 To address the 4770k thing: I do lots of multimedia projects and I know that hyperthreading is a great performance increase over a 4670k. Sorry if you have seen me explain this WHOLE DAMN THING BEFORE but it seems if i don't remind them it isn't as effective at determining the solution. Thanks have a great day/night etc.!

Element, there is absolutely nothing to apologize for as no offense was taken. I understand you are frustrated and rightfully so but i fear the performance you are looking for is right up there with the best of them for the platform you are on and you have not OCed anything on your system and i am not saying you have to.

To overcome the CPU bottleneck you should OC the CPU but as you said you are not versed in that but this is the way we all tweak our systems. 

Even if you were not doing much multimedia projects and need/want the hyper-threading boost i am ok if you would have wanted the 4770k as i am not one of those who tell people not to get something if you don't use it. One the philosophies is it is better to have and not need than to need and not have. 

In my humble opinion i thing you should get a 990fx/GEN 3 motherboard and OC the snot out of it because the 8320 is a very good CPU.

Whatever the choice you make i hope you get the performance you want.

Bet ya $50 its lagorith, have you actually tested other codecs?

I've used a fair few different codecs and there are much faster lossless codecs than lagorith.

I personally believe your codec is too heavyweight in realtime and is affecting your gameplay performance.

Try some other codecs.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

if the CPU is bottlenecking the GPU then all he needs to do is overclock it. i have a R9 290 and im running a FX 6300 at 4.5Ghz and i get around the 100-130fps in bf4 on ultra and even on siege it doesnt drop below 85fps so there is an issue with your system. try overclocking the cpu to see if that will cause it. another thing is that while you are recording you are using the CPU and GPU so you will take a hit in frames as it is using them both but i dont think it should be that much. also as alot of people have said that the PCI-e is going to be the issue well its not as im running mine at 16x 2.0 and i dont get those issues

Spoiler

CPU: i5-6600k MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming RAM: G.Skill 16GB 2800Mhz 15-15-15-35, GPU: Sapphire R9 290 SSD: Samsung 840 250GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2, Cooling: EK supremecy EVO ,EK-FC R9 290X with backplate, XSPC EX240 Crossflow & Alphacool UT60 240mm, XSPC D5 Bayres w/ Alphacool VPP655, 7/16-5/8 Compressions/Tubing, Noctua NF-F12 x4 PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 http://valid.x86.fr/8g2m02

Because this is not the performance it promises > :(

you have FX cpu? FX cpus are always bottleneck!

buy any generation i5 k series or i7 k series OC them to 4.3 GHZ every chip from these can do it and be happy :)

here are these CPUs  i5 2500k, i5 2550k, i5 3570k, i5 4670k, i5 4690k, i7 2600k, i7 2700k, i7 3770k, i7 4770k, i7 4790k :) also i7 3770 non-K. my non-K i7 3770 can also do 4.3 GHZ :)

here are proves 

here is my i7 3770 NON-K 4.42 GHZ  43 multi

a223f4966f3e.jpg

here is FX 8320 at 4.72 GHZ and look at this shitty scores. this gpu can do 31-32k on good cpu even on stock i5 but on FX 8320 at 4.72 GHZ it's bottlenecked. now imagine how is your R9 290

b4df23e84a77.jpg

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

I record with DxTory using 8 processing Threads, Lagarith Lossless codec, 1080p. The problem may be my write speed.... it doesn't seem very fast despite it being a WD caviar green. It never happens during play, however when i play the recording in Sony Vegas or WMC it is laggy, on the less intensive bits not as much if at all. 

WD caviar green is a terrible HDD for what you are doing is it not designed to be used as a main disk. It is a very slow HDD for write and read it is designed for storage!

http://www.buildcomputers.net/western-digital-caviar.html

As you can see WD green has slow access times and speeds it is not meant as a main disk even budget PC's don't use it.

If you use an SSD instead you will have at least 10x faster read!!

If you are honestly using that HDD as a main disk even a 4930k@5Ghz will not fix it!

Gaming Rig:CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2¦RAM: 16GB DDR3 Balistix 1600Mhz¦MB: MSI Z77A-G43¦HDD: 480GB SSD, 3.5TB HDDs¦GPU: AMD Radeon VII¦PSU: FSP 700W¦Case: Carbide 300R

WD caviar green is a terrible HDD for what you are doing is it not designed to be used as a main disk. It is a very slow HDD for write and read it is designed for storage!

http://www.buildcomputers.net/western-digital-caviar.html

As you can see WD green has slow access times and speeds it is not meant as a main disk even budget PC's don't use it.

If you use an SSD instead you will have at least 10x faster read!!

If you are honestly using that HDD as a main disk even a 4930k@5Ghz will not fix it!

What do you suggest I get? Get a caviar black? I have no intention of spending 250 on 500gb SSD when I could get a 7200rpm/ 10000rpm drive for 100$ that is 1tb...

if the CPU is bottlenecking the GPU then all he needs to do is overclock it. i have a R9 290 and im running a FX 6300 at 4.5Ghz and i get around the 100-130fps in bf4 on ultra and even on siege it doesnt drop below 85fps so there is an issue with your system. try overclocking the cpu to see if that will cause it. another thing is that while you are recording you are using the CPU and GPU so you will take a hit in frames as it is using them both but i dont think it should be that much. also as alot of people have said that the PCI-e is going to be the issue well its not as im running mine at 16x 2.0 and i dont get those issues

It's at 4.2ghz and the performance is still awful.... I can't OC anymore bcuz of my mobo. If I have to get a new mobo then I'll get a good i7 cpu

WD Black will be fine even blue but man a wd green as main disk I'm surprised it hasn't failed yet!

No need to OC more as that should be plenty.

When you are gaming run task manager in background then tab out and find out the disk usage if its a lot you will benefit from something better than the lowest end drive made.

Gaming Rig:CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2¦RAM: 16GB DDR3 Balistix 1600Mhz¦MB: MSI Z77A-G43¦HDD: 480GB SSD, 3.5TB HDDs¦GPU: AMD Radeon VII¦PSU: FSP 700W¦Case: Carbide 300R

WD Black will be fine even blue but man a wd green as main disk I'm surprised it hasn't failed yet!

When you are gaming run task manager in background then tab out and find out the disk usage if its a lot you will benefit from something better than the lowest end drive made.

Thanks man :)

When I first boot up the PC the disk promptly jumps to 97% disk usage so that should answer your question

Hey guys, I asked my dad about the upgrades if I worked over the summer to get them. Howev er he has convinced himself that getting rid of a mobo and CPU that don't work is basically "Getting a whole new computer" so there isn't a chance I am going to get it. I thank you guys once much for your help too bad it can't really be put to good use. :-/

Edit: I have discussed w/ my dad about the situation and he has pursuaded me to wait with what I've got and be happy (I should, I went from gaming on a 2008 IBM thinkstation :P) just thanks for your help and my previous part of this part of this comment was out of utter frustration, sorry for venting like that :(

When I first boot up the PC the disk promptly jumps to 97% disk usage so that should answer your question

Get a new disk that shouldn't happen