Is my CPU bottle-necking PLZ HALP! :)

I have upgraded my GPU recently from a Nvidia GT 630 to am AMD R9 290 Gigabyte Windforce. My CPU is a AMD Fx-8320, and i really feel as if my 290 is being severely bottlenecked! I tested a couple of game on ultra (BF4, Bf3, M:LL) and i have drawn to this conclusion because all of the reviews of the card say you get between 55-130 on ULTRA on a any map except Shanghai (that map is OP). My rig runs it on ultra on most maps between 50-100 FPS ultra. However shanghai I play/record on with high settings and get between 25-70. Could someone explain whats going on????

Thanks for your time :)

PC:

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5g Ghz

GPU: Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 OC

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ socket

RAM: 16 GB of standard GSkill RAM standard clock

PSU: Topower 700W bronze rating

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green

CASE: Thermaltake V3 Black

Its a respectable PC but if it is BNing then I'll upgrade to either a i7 4770k

or a i5 4670k. I do editing and multimedia stuff, thats why i am leaning towards the i7

That sounds about right i have an r9 290 aswell that is about standard fps, that one map should not worry you about your fps it might have just be the game because my friend and I have the same problem on titanfall and he has 2x r9 280 and also gets 45 fps on a map dont worry

That sounds about right i have an r9 290 aswell that is about standard fps, that one map should not worry you about your fps it might have just be the game because my friend and I have the same problem on titanfall and he has 2x r9 280 and also gets 45 fps on a map dont worry

What deters me is that there is only 10 fps gain from ultra to low, that is a bn if I'd ever seen one....

Bet ya $50 its lagorith, have you actually tested other codecs?

I've used a fair few different codecs and there are much faster lossless codecs than lagorith.

I personally believe your codec is too heavyweight in realtime and is affecting your gameplay performance.

Try some other codecs.

Thanks bro! What would you suggest? A link maybe would be great :) cheers

I'd guess you have a bottleneck too, what's your CPU? If it is the fx 83 hundred series is guess it's a bottleneck.... But I'm no expert :P

Thanks bro! What would you suggest? A link maybe would be great :) cheers

Just test it with MSI afterburners inbuilt MJPEG codec @ 100%, see how your in-game performance & your GPU usage is going in the background.

If lagorith is using too much CPUtime, then your GPU usage may suffer as a result.

Using MJPEG and maybe even forcing MSI recording to only use 2 cores, not more, again... this is testing you can do once its up and running.

Like most programs, MSI installed, set a hotkey for the Record, set a save folder and your good to go.

Like DXtory and such, MSI also takes other codecs.

Lossless quality may be too taxing for your machine as it is experiment and maybe you won't have to upgrade if you can find a suitable replacement.

:)

Delve into MSI first, and you can finetune or switch codecs easily if something else gets mentioned...

If your curious to why I'm posting this info instead of "hardware related" troubleshooting.

It because he mentioned the GPU usage plummeting WHEN recording... and I'm going off that, to lighten that load and hopefully he can do both.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

i still think its the motherboard, who is bottlenecking the cpu. maybe the vrm´s just run too hot, causing voltage throtle, and throttles the cpu back, its not an unkown issue with gigabyte am3+ boards in general.

His pci-e slot could maybe be dying as well idk. But i still think that his mobo is causing stability issues.

Grtz Sintezza :)

I've got the very same graphics card, Gigabyte windforce r9 290 and an AMD 1100t which is, im pretty pretty sure worse than the 8320.. I run bf4 fine with mantle, 60 - 130fps in every single map, it will go down to high 50s but hardly ever. In siege of shanghai and caspain border though, i would see high 50s every now and than, during explosions and what not. Without mantle, i seriously cannot imagine how bad it could run on some maps without mantle, so THANK GOD for mantle... I'm thinking about upgrading to the fx8350 soon. Just to let u noe im running windows 7 64bit, 16gb ram, corsair 850hx series powersupply and an ASUS M5A99fx PRO R2.0 Motherboard.

I've got the very same graphics card, Gigabyte windforce r9 290 and an AMD 1100t which is, im pretty pretty sure worse than the 8320.. I run bf4 fine with mantle, 60 - 130fps in every single map, it will go down to high 50s but hardly ever. In siege of shanghai and caspain border though, i would see high 50s every now and than, during explosions and what not. Without mantle, i seriously cannot imagine how bad it could run on some maps without mantle, so THANK GOD for mantle... I'm thinking about upgrading to the fx8350 soon. Just to let u noe im running windows 7 64bit, 16gb ram, corsair 850hx series powersupply and an ASUS M5A99fx PRO R2.0 Motherboard.

Im telling you now, save money and get an i5 or something, people are experiencing problems with the 8000 series cpus. Dont forget you'll need a new mobo :_/ cheers

Just test it with MSI afterburners inbuilt MJPEG codec @ 100%, see how your in-game performance & your GPU usage is going in the background.

If lagorith is using too much CPUtime, then your GPU usage may suffer as a result.

Using MJPEG and maybe even forcing MSI recording to only use 2 cores, not more, again... this is testing you can do once its up and running.

Like most programs, MSI installed, set a hotkey for the Record, set a save folder and your good to go.

Like DXtory and such, MSI also takes other codecs.

Lossless quality may be too taxing for your machine as it is experiment and maybe you won't have to upgrade if you can find a suitable replacement.

:)

Delve into MSI first, and you can finetune or switch codecs easily if something else gets mentioned...

If your curious to why I'm posting this info instead of "hardware related" troubleshooting.

It because he mentioned the GPU usage plummeting WHEN recording... and I'm going off that, to lighten that load and hopefully he can do both.

A large problem is bcuz of my WD caviar green. apparently its absolute crud! and my CPU usage doesn't plummet JUST when recording, infact i take little to no performance hit w/ DxTory and Lagorith

A large problem is bcuz of my WD caviar green. apparently its absolute crud! and my CPU usage doesn't plummet JUST when recording, infact i take little to no performance hit w/ DxTory and Lagorith

That shouldn't have an impact on the numbers I was seeing in your video. The GPU usage is very low for some reason. It could be the CPU holding it back but I don't think it'd have as much of an effect as I was seeing. Right now I'd look at either a driver issue or a lack of power from the psu. You said in one of your posts you were going to hook up a new PSU I think you should give that a try first. A small overclock on the CPU would help also as it seemed to be approaching it's limit. As for the hard drive you should definitely consider grabbing an SSD just for games and the OS, the green drive will work just fine for everything else. 

yes 8320 is bottleneck for that card in most of the games and it has nothing to do with cores, the IPC and optimizations of that cpu are weak compared to latest intel.

If you can afford get an upcoming 4790K,best upgrade you can ever make switch to intel cpu.If you dont have money then dont ask me,i hate fx series CPu's they can game and do everything just fine,but with high end gpu's and such they bottleneck,too old platform and such.

I have and inte i5 4570 at 3.6ghz and i can run BF4 maxed and the CPU usage is between 50-70% only at loading is 100%.FX sucks conclusion.

That shouldn't have an impact on the numbers I was seeing in your video. The GPU usage is very low for some reason. It could be the CPU holding it back but I don't think it'd have as much of an effect as I was seeing. Right now I'd look at either a driver issue or a lack of power from the psu. You said in one of your posts you were going to hook up a new PSU I think you should give that a try first. A small overclock on the CPU would help also as it seemed to be approaching it's limit. As for the hard drive you should definitely consider grabbing an SSD just for games and the OS, the green drive will work just fine for everything else.

I understand that, the stuttering and pausing IS because of the crap HDD

monitor?

BenQ Senseye3 1920x1080, Dell 1680x1050

• 2 weeks later...

This shouldn't bottleneck. Slightly if at all... 

No you're not bottlenecking. I have the same setup except a 290x. You're fine.

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

an AMD FX 8 core does not bottleneck a 290 in any game.

There is obvious something wrong with his system stability.

I understand that, the stuttering and pausing IS because of the crap HDD

HDD's/SSD's only cause stuttering if you run out of RAM or VRAM. Thing is without recording, BF4 takes your cpu already to 75% without recording so you just have 2 cores left and they aren't surprisingly benefitial. The cpu is just running out of resources. You shouldn't have recorded it, just let gpu-z log it to a file and you put the results under spoiler (make sure to close gpu-z when you quit playing and dont die at all). It confused people more than it has been informative, I literally thought you recorded it with a cam >.<

If you like to stream/record; your only option is pretty much the AMD gaming evolved APP - AMD's equivalent of Shadowplay. It doesnt use the CPU at all, neither the GPU but graphics cards have encoder chips thats being used for recording/streaming. You can monitor that chip in gpu-z named "vid usage", probably why it never went above 0% :P

Are you using windows 7 or 8. BF4 loves 8.

an AMD FX 8 core does not bottleneck a 290 in any game.

There is obvious something wrong with his system stability.

Could you point me in any direction? people say the 8320 WILL NOT Bottle Neck others say it WILL Bottle Neck. I honestly don't know what to make of it anymore ( -_-) from what I can tell, the CPU is bottle necking and from the performance reviews say the the i5 out performs the 8320/8350 hands down. I need solid proof that the 8320 will not bottleneck the GPU. Or my GPU is screwed or my system is generally messed up

HDD's/SSD's only cause stuttering if you run out of RAM or VRAM. Thing is without recording, BF4 takes your cpu already to 75% without recording so you just have 2 cores left and they aren't surprisingly benefitial. The cpu is just running out of resources. You shouldn't have recorded it, just let gpu-z log it to a file and you put the results under spoiler (make sure to close gpu-z when you quit playing and dont die at all). It confused people more than it has been informative, I literally thought you recorded it with a cam >.<

If you like to stream/record; your only option is pretty much the AMD gaming evolved APP - AMD's equivalent of Shadowplay. It doesnt use the CPU at all, neither the GPU but graphics cards have encoder chips thats being used for recording/streaming. You can monitor that chip in gpu-z named "vid usage", probably why it never went above 0% :P

My HDD use has decreased some how, i runs now at between %10 - %17 on startup. How do you create a 'Spoilers' tab?

16 GB of 1334 MHz and 4 GB of GDDR5 @ 5000 MHz raises my eyebrow on this topic

My HDD use has decreased some how, i runs now at between %10 - %17 on startup. How do you create a 'Spoilers' tab?

{spoiler}

Type stuff here

{/spoiler}

Swap {} for []

even if the fx 8320 is a good cpu, the are not the strongest in games on stock, so like sombody say it before, overclock it if you can to 4.5ghz and you normally see a very good improvment.

CPU -i5 4670k 4.6ghz 1.210v/MOBO - asus sabertooth z87/CPU COOLER - corsair h105/MEM - 8gb corsair dominator platinum 2133mhz /VIDEOCARD - 2x msi r9 270x/PSU be-quit dark power pro 10 1000w/SSD  - scandisk ultra plus 128gb/HDD 2x Seagate 1tb/CASE - cooler master haf X

Could you point me in any direction? people say the 8320 WILL NOT Bottle Neck others say it WILL Bottle Neck. I honestly don't know what to make of it anymore ( -_-) from what I can tell, the CPU is  bottle necking and from the performance reviews say the the i5 out performs the 8320/8350 hands down. I need solid proof that the 8320 will not bottleneck the GPU. Or my GPU is screwed or my system is generally messed up

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 thats most likely your problem.

This particular board, has overheating vrm´s and chokes issues. (well known issue) with an FX8 core on it.

This will cause your cpu voltage throttle, and that results into a cpu bottleneck.

Gigabyte AM3+ boards suck in the first place, especialy the older revisions.

But also about the newer boards, im still not conviced that they are "much" better. (They are cheap for a reason)

Same story with the Asrock 990FX killer, nice board with tons of feutures for gamers, but for overclocking its just rubbish.

Cheaping out on a mobo is never i good idea, especialy wenn it comes to powerhungry FX 8 core cpu´s.

Before people start to spitting out on here, that amd FX 8 cores are bad and what not, they need to look to the whole system specs first. ;)

FX8320 will not bottleneck any gpu. normaly.

• 2 weeks later...

This particular board, has overheating vrm´s and chokes issues. (well known issue) with an FX8 core on it.

This will cause your cpu voltage throttle, and that results into a cpu bottleneck.

But also about the newer boards, im still not conviced that they are "much" better. (They are cheap for a reason)

Same story with the Asrock 990FX killer, nice board with tons of feutures for gamers, but for overclocking its just rubbish.

Cheaping out on a mobo is never i good idea, especialy wenn it comes to powerhungry FX 8 core cpu´s.

Before people start to spitting out on here, that amd FX 8 cores are bad and what not, they need to look to the whole system specs first. ;)

FX8320 will not bottleneck any gpu. normaly

Then I can have only one conclusion: my GPU is a defect.... I am comapring to friends i5 4670k and 660 SC and my R9 290 and FX8320 are edging and falling short. A 660 is last gen tech, R9 290 is current Gen with more Video Memory, 512 bit bus etc. This should beat a 690 no? yet it barely edged out the 660.... Unacceptable. Piss poor performance (relatively) for 424.99 CAD is pitiful and next time I will purchase a Nvidia GPU if i cannot figure this out. Watching Linus, JackFrags, ToT and Tek syndicate's reviews I had come to expect from the new R9 290 w/ Hawaii was a beast. Not. At. All.

FX8320 will not bottleneck any gpu. normaly.

Of Course there is a MOBO Heatsink throttle problem you eluded to, That could very well be the problem

Of Course there is a MOBO Heatsink throttle problem you eluded to, That could very well be the problem

i would advice you, to try the 290 in a diffrent system, maybe your friend is willing to help, and see how its performs then.

Its most likely like i said your cpu het throttled by the motherboard, and then yeah the whole system gets unstable vica versa.

You can also try the newest 14.7 Beta driver from AMD, but i still think your mobo is the real problem here.

the GTX690 is a dual GPU on one PCB, so thats not realy a good standout point for a compairisson.

GTX780 is what you should compair with

i would advice you, to try the 290 in a diffrent system, maybe your friend is willing to help, and see how its performs then.

Its most likely like i said your cpu het throttled by the motherboard, and then yeah the whole system gets unstable vica versa.

You can also try the newest 14.7 Beta driver from AMD, but i still think your mobo is the real problem here.

the GTX690 is a dual GPU on one PCB, so thats not realy a good standout point for a compairisson.

Thank you for the Advice, I have no decent system on standby however, I believe that it is indeed my MOBO. I find that there is no point upgrading my MOBO to work with my current CPU when I have wanted a 4770k from the start. What are your thoughts?I was originally going to get a second 290 around Christmas (Or your equivalent). It would be used to mine a larger amount of litecoin and boost game performance. I however do not want to get a second card when my MOBO is crap. Leading to slow crossfire connection and poor performance because of CPU heat throttling, Is a G1 AM3+ or Sabertooth any good? Or should I just bite the bullet and spend the money on new mobo/CPU instead of a second card.

Thanks for your time

-Daze

Sintezza, on 19 Jul 2014 - 06:42 AM, said:snapback.png

This raises concern to be frank, As a 780 seemingly crushes my card in performance. Even with the 1 GPU on the PCB.

So, is the 690 more powerful than the 780? I have heard it is 0.o

If youre planning to crossfire, you're better off doing that with an i7 than a 8350. 780's aren't faster, 690's arent worth it.

even if the fx 8320 is a good cpu, the are not the strongest in games on stock, so like sombody say it before, overclock it if you can to 4.5ghz and you normally see a very good improvment.

It has been clocked to 4.2GHz because I am scared because of my piss poor MOBO. I saw some, but little overall performance improvement. I am getting to the point that the CPU is no longer the issue, but heat throttling because the briliant ppl at Gigabyte make aweful low end MOBOs. Thanks for the reply :)

Well its a dificult choice.

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 is a rock sollid board.

However, i think i have to agree with Faa this time.

290 CF will do better on an i7  not i5.

Still it will also work on a FX8350 offcourse, for mining this should not make much of a diffrence.

But for gaming, the i7-4770K will probably handle the 290 crossfire a littlebit better. in games like Metro, Watchdogs, skyrim, thief

Well its a dificult choice.

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 is a rock sollid board.

However, i think i have to agree with Faa this time.

290 CF will do better on an i7  not i5.

Still it will also work on a FX8350 offcourse, for mining this should not make much of a diffrence.

But for gaming, the i7-4770K will probably handle the 290 crossfire a littlebit better. in games like Metro, Watchdogs, skyrim, thief

Lately a guy showed his gpu loads with 2x 290x with a 8350 in bf4: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/175630-whyhow-is-the-fx-8350-a-bottleneck/page-2#entry2347491

Noticing how hard he was held back by the cpu, an i7 upgrade would have done wonders. It's like up to 50% faster

Also if he's going to spend 180$ on a board, he might as well just sell his cpu & board and get a 4770K and cheapest z97 sli board