Audio quality of Sennheiser HD598 vs 363D

SeanBond

Hi, I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile by any means however I do really enjoy good sound every once in a while. Since my dogs ate my old tritton pro+'s 6 months ago I feel I have been missing out greatly on good audio and with the reputation of Sennheiser being so good I was looking at the two similarly priced headsets HD598 that comes as a low end audiophile headset and the 363D high end gaming headset. Now most of what I will be listening to is games because I do spend most of my free time gaming when I can, however I don't game online as much as I used to, maybe once a week if I am lucky so the actual microphone means very little to me. 

So I ask, what would be the trade off, what would I be losing over a gaming headset for audiophile headphones besides the microphone? And what exactly are the differences between the sound quality of the two headsets? Also I don't know much about sound cards so would I need one to drive a headset like these? Any educated responses would game with great appreciation 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

headsets sound like shit in comparison.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

headsets sound like shit in comparison.

Well, both the 598 and the 363D are made by Sennheiser. It's kinda un-logical for 1 company to make good headphones, but at the same time, shitty headsets....

Well, both the 598 and the 363D are made by Sennheiser. It's kinda un-logical for 1 company to make good headphones, but at the same time, shitty headsets....

They are made for different target audiences. Most gamers don't understand much about sound quality. I know people who play games at higher than average level with 5$ headsets and laptop speakers.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

They are made for different target audiences. Most gamers don't understand much about sound quality. I know people who play games at higher than average level with 5$ headsets and laptop speakers.

It could also be a not needed cost for sennheiser to engineer new drivers that sound crap for their gaming headsets. So I have a hunch that they use the same drivers as they use in their "good headphones".

But its all a guess.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

It could also be a not needed cost for sennheiser to engineer new drivers that sound crap for their gaming headsets. So I have a hunch that they use the same drivers as they use in their "good headphones".

But its all a guess.

Maybe, but for that price it's not worth it. If you want headset go for HyperX Cloud or Qpad QH-90. If you want sound quality go for headphones.

Spoiler

Overpriced headsets maybe, meaning for the same price, one could get a better sounding headphone + decent mic. Not necessarily bad sounding headsets, it's just there are better headphones + mic at the same price level. 

But its all a guess.

CEO: Hey, we gonna dip our feet at the headset market, what do you guys need?

Engineers: $20.000 research fee and 5 months research time for us to design and engineer new crappy drivers for the headsets.

CEO: WTH?? Why can't you guys just use our already in production drivers instead?

Engineers: Nah, they're reserved for our headphones only, not for our headsets....

*joke.... :D :D

Good headsets are seriously hard to come by because 90% of the manufactures believe that the average gamer can't tell the differance from them spending 5 cents on the driver and 20$ plus the mics always suck no matter how much they tell you its good quality. I own a pair of HD 518s and they sound amazing even if they aren't considered "audiophile" headphones.

Good headsets are seriously hard to come by because 90% of the manufactures believe that the average gamer can't tell the differance from them spending 5 cents on the driver and 20$ plus the mics always suck no matter how much they tell you its good quality. I own a pair of HD 518s and they sound amazing even if they aren't considered "audiophile" headphones.

Well, the PC360 (and maybe PC363D?) does use the same driver as the HD518, 558, and 598. It's the design of the enclosures (including damping material, shape, and whatnot) that give them different sound colors...

Well, the PC360 (and maybe PC363D?) does use the same driver as the HD518, 558, and 598. It's the design of the enclosures (including damping material, shape, and whatnot) that give them different sound colors...

this (although the sonic difference will likely only be a fart in a tornado),  they are the same, so get the cheapest option that suits your needs.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Well thank you, this is actual information. Not just a opinion lol. As it stands on amazon I believe the the headphones are but 10 dollars cheaper than the gaming headset. I think the difference of the 360 that the 363d has is virtual 7.1 sound. And considering that every source says this particular headset has an absolutely top notch mic and easily one of the best mics you can get (I have heard it does sound nearly studio quality.) I will more than likely go with the gaming headset.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Well thank you, this is actual information. Not just a opinion lol. As it stands on amazon I believe the the headphones are but 10 dollars cheaper than the gaming headset. I think the difference of the 360 that the 363d has is virtual 7.1 sound. And considering that every source says this particular headset has an absolutely top notch mic and easily one of the best mics you can get (I have heard it does sound nearly studio quality.) I will more than likely go with the gaming headset.

If discussing the mic only, I'd say Audio Technica's mic would be better, as they're already renowned for their mic quality (not the best, but good in the middle levels). But yeah, their headsets are much more overpriced, imo...

If discussing the mic only, I'd say Audio Technica's mic would be better, as they're already renowned for their mic quality (not the best, but good in the middle levels). But yeah, their headsets are much more overpriced, imo...

Like I said the mic is less important because I don't frequently game online anymore however it's not an unwelcome addition. 

Another question for anyone, does anyone have a clue if the shipping times are huge if you buy direct from sennheiser? Or would I be better off getting a pair from amazon with the 2 day shipping being like 12 dollars. I don't know if they ship direct from germany if you order from them which would obviously take weeks.

Like I said the mic is less important because I don't frequently game online anymore however it's not an unwelcome addition. 

Another question for anyone, does anyone have a clue if the shipping times are huge if you buy direct from sennheiser? Or would I be better off getting a pair from amazon with the 2 day shipping being like 12 dollars. I don't know if they ship direct from germany if you order from them which would obviously take weeks.

They should ship from an American distributor but I would just order off of Amazon anyway. 

Hi, I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile by any means however I do really enjoy good sound every once in a while. Since my dogs ate my old tritton pro+'s 6 months ago I feel I have been missing out greatly on good audio and with the reputation of Sennheiser being so good I was looking at the two similarly priced headsets HD598 that comes as a low end audiophile headset and the 363D high end gaming headset. Now most of what I will be listening to is games because I do spend most of my free time gaming when I can, however I don't game online as much as I used to, maybe once a week if I am lucky so the actual microphone means very little to me. 

So I ask, what would be the trade off, what would I be losing over a gaming headset for audiophile headphones besides the microphone? And what exactly are the differences between the sound quality of the two headsets? Also I don't know much about sound cards so would I need one to drive a headset like these? Any educated responses would game with great appreciation 

Sennheiser headsets are made exactly the same high standard as their headphone models their based on.  PC 360/PC 363D/G4ME One = HD558/HD598   ------   G4ME Zero/PC 350 SE = HD 380 Pro. 

Their higher price comes from MSRP of the headphone design and adding a Microphone into the design for a dedicated headset.

Basically you lose nothing with their headsets in terms of sound quality over their headphone model that matches.   The newer G4ME Zero/One are just updated models with new colors.     PC363D is the only surround gaming capable cans worth their price.  Open back cans + Dolby = next level IMO.

If you buy direct you get a free copy of AC4 Black flag. Im only slightly interested in because I've played the crap pc port. 

• 1 year later...

You know this post is from 2014 right?

hi sam

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2