This Guy Trademarked the Symbol for Pi and Took Away Our Geeky T-Shirts

Not really tech news, but nearly everyone here is a geek too, right?

This may be the biggest legal controversy to engulf the mathematical constant pi since that time in 1897 when the Indiana legislature tried to declare it equal to 3.2: A Brooklyn artist is claiming a broad trademark in T-shirts, jackets, caps, and other apparel featuring the Greek letter, resulting in the mass, temporary removal of thousands of products from the custom t-shirt printing site Zazzle.

At issue is U.S. trademark registration 4,473,631, issued to one Paul Ingrisano, aka “Pi Productions Corp” of New York. In January, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office gave Ingrisano a trademark on the symbol π.—pi followed by a period—a design Ingrisano uses on T-shirts sold at some brick-and-mortar stores.

Pi is a popular symbol in mathematical puns, so the pi-pocalypse lit a firestorm in the print-on-demand T-shirt world. “This is asinine,” wrote Dave Lartigue, whose banned “Pi plus E” shirts asserted that pi summed with the mathematical constant e add up to a tasty dessert. “Zazzle gave me instructions on how to file a counter-notice, and I plan to. Not because I really care about the dumb design, but because this is ridiculous asshattery that shouldn’t be allowed to continue.”

Full article at Wired

Uhm... what? This is just insane. I guess on the plus side, the trademark in question is listed as "Published For Opposition" on the Justitia website, which I presume means that it can still be revoked without too much problem.

NO ONE CAN TAKE OUR PIES!!!

wait... OH PI!!! whoops... I'M STILL MAD THOUGH!

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Yeah... Go away there buddy. We don't like you at all now.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Wait wait wait. So let me get this straight. The US Trademark folks allowed someone to trademark a Greek symbol that has had significant mathematical meaning for AT LEAST 70 years longer than this country has existed? You know corruption in the copyright system I understand but how stupid are the people they hire to do this shit?

Wait wait wait. So let me get this straight. The US Trademark folks allowed someone to trademark a Greek symbol that has had significant mathematical meaning for AT LEAST 70 years longer than this country has existed? You know corruption in the copyright system I understand but how stupid are the people they hire to do this shit?

Make that mathematical significance about 2000 years longer than the USA has existed.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Make that mathematical significance about 2000 years longer than the USA has existed.

More importantly it is a letter, I could also try and trademark the letter A, then no website or company can use it. Just as stupid.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Well this is the second dumbest thing I've heard all day.

What a clown.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Bullshit. Again, a great example of the USA's limitless stupidity. This is like trademarking any letter with a dot after it, like "J.", or "Ő.". Just gtfo please, it's not enought that you steal other cultures' intellectual property, you want to make money off of it.

"Same rules since the first man picked up the first stick and beat the second man's ass with it."

More importantly it is a letter, I could also try and trademark the letter A, then no website or company can use it. Just as stupid.

Guess I better trademark "N" "S" and "A" so I can give the NSA trouble :P (Might do the same with the trademark and patent office too...)

But...I like my Pi shirts. I have one with the first couple thousand digits of Pi and one that has the unit circle in radians. D:

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

It's kind of sad that these people try to make money off everything they come across.

What is even more sad is that it looks like those patent guys do not have any sort of filter sometimes

Isnt this part of the "american dream" ? You can do anything. Go 'Murica

Just curious, where did you get '70 years' from?

Wait...does that mean this guy also trademarked circles?Wow.

SOMEONE PATENT THE WORD "PATENT"!

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Wait guys,he didn't patent pi.

He patented pi followed by a period.

π.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Wait...does that mean this guy also trademarked circles?Wow.

-snip-

+

Wait guys,he didn't patent pi.

He patented pi followed by a period.

π.

ooooooooooooooooooooooooohhh i see the difference... .

well, then better dont make anything with a circle followed by a dot

build log: diagonalmod (RIP?)

i know i use many of these: ( ) and these: ... (i really do... (sry...) ) edit: and edits

I'm legitimately convinced the people working on the trademark committee are made up of the collective shit of the dumbest people on the planet and somehow gained sentience.

In that case, I'm going to patent patents. WHAT NOW!

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Wow. Just wow. I thought the patent system couldn't get any worse. Guess I was wrong...

I'm gona go trademark 6.  Sports teams get ready for court!

This really is absurd. If he trademarked an image which contained pi and a period, then I guess that wouldn't be too unreasonable and it would basically mean you just need to use a different font than he did (and if he's going to trademark it I would demand that he make the font himself anyway), but you can't trademark common words for a reason and that protection should extend to symbols of various sorts as well.

I'm also pissed that he trademarked pi with a period, but is going after people who used only pi.

Just curious, where did you get '70 years' from?

Wikipedia. The first known use of the Greek symbol to represent the mathematical equation of pi was in 1706 by a mathematician. The US declared independence in 1776.

Well that's evidence of a failing education system: public servants that apparently never had a single fucking math class and didn't think the symbol was important.

-------

Current Rig

-------