New Windows AI feature records everything you’ve done on your PC | Recall uses AI features "to take images of your active screen every few seconds OMG

clutchmaster

"Recall" uses AI features "to take images of your active screen every few seconds.

recall_hero_1-800x450.jpg.1e5d4c021d9869f12ee897176bad1c8c.jpg

At a Build conference event on Monday, Microsoft revealed a new AI-powered feature called "Recall" for Copilot+ PCs that will allow Windows 11 users to search and retrieve their past activities on their PC. To make it work, Recall records everything users do on their PC, including activities in apps, communications in live meetings, and websites visited for research. Despite encryption and local storage, the new feature raises privacy concerns for certain Windows users.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/05/microsofts-new-recall-feature-will-record-everything-you-do-on-your-pc/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

another reason to avoid windows 11 and convert all my clients and friends back to windows 10... i wont be surprised if this is opt out on fresh installs / after updates, or turned on without warning / delayed warning.

windows 10 should be the last Windows OS!

Yeah... I'm good being with Windows 10 forever, even if I'm long EOL

Hell I'd rather use a Mac as my main machine at this point

That's how bad this is to me

2 minutes ago, clutchmaster said:

"Recall" uses AI features "to take images of your active screen every few seconds.

recall_hero_1-800x450.jpg.1e5d4c021d9869f12ee897176bad1c8c.jpg

At a Build conference event on Monday, Microsoft revealed a new AI-powered feature called "Recall" for Copilot+ PCs that will allow Windows 11 users to search and retrieve their past activities on their PC. To make it work, Recall records everything users do on their PC, including activities in apps, communications in live meetings, and websites visited for research. Despite encryption and local storage, the new feature raises privacy concerns for certain Windows users.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/05/microsofts-new-recall-feature-will-record-everything-you-do-on-your-pc/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

another reason to avoid windows 11 and convert all my clients and friends back to windows 10... i wont be surprised if this is opt out on fresh installs / after updates, or turned on without warning / delayed warning.

windows 10 should be the last Windows OS!

laughs in linux

now being serious, if I remember correctly from the video released about it, you can turn it off somehow

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

Here's another reason for me wanting to disable Copilot. SO ANNOYING MICRO$OFT!! 

If anyone knows how to delete Copilot completely, I made a post: 

I love making PCPartPicker lists.

If I answer your question (or someone else), please mark it as the answer. 

Please refresh before replying, I like to edit my posts.

PC SPECS: Intel i5-12600K, RX 6700 XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

Who is this for? Who thinks this is a good idea? What possible benefit does this provide?

Recall won't take snapshots of InPrivate web browsing sessions in Microsoft Edge or DRM-protected content. However, Recall won't actively hide sensitive information like passwords and financial account numbers that appear on-screen.

/Facepalm

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Man they're gonna see my spank bank!

Seriously, how is this not some kind of legal invasion of privacy? Someone's gonna sue them for this bullshit.

Man, I'm glad I've abandoned windows.

*Realises I'm IT tech guy*

Man they should not implement this. 🤡

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Who is this for? Who thinks this is a good idea? What possible benefit does this provide?

/Facepalm

This has huge cybersecurity concerns with regards to data loss prevention (DLP). Microsoft needs to rein in the scope of data gathering and not just hoover up data. A GPT isn't going to know or care you temporarily copied sensitive information in an unsaved TXT file via Notepad.exe. If it's not committed to disk, that shit does not, nor should ever exist anywhere else.

That said, I do love the idea of a local GPT model that can crawl through specific directories and applications (that I choose). I think a good framework already having been established is the Windows Search indexing service. The Indexing Options (Control Panel) can include or exclude locations. The actual database files themselves are located in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows", so you can clear them out manually or resetting with the Control Panel options. If "Recall" acted as a Windows Search 2.0, that would be perfect balance between functionality and having the power to limit the scope of what data and apps to crawl through.

With regards to the Windows Search Index itself, I personally use it heavily for Outlook integration to easily find content as I get literally thousands of emails a day at work. Having the ability to prompt locally with intelligence would be a Godsend in boosting productivity! I can't stress how massive this would be. I would PAY EXTRA for that feature if push comes to shove for it!

Yeah, that's the line for me.

I'm sure ways to disable this nonsense will come out sooner than later, if it isn't simply walked back due to the inevitable backlash. If not, I might actually go back to Macs after 20+ years on Windows. (Desktop Linux is a disjointed mess, always has been.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

There it is. If the Snapdragon elite doesn't support Ubuntu, I'm out, because I don't want that spyware crap running.

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

I might actually go back to Macs after 20+ years on Windows. (Desktop Linux is a disjointed mess, always has been.)

You really think Apple won't be data mining with a local Edge GPT instance on a MacBook?

That's all the hotness, these micro GPTs running on desktop, laptop, and mobile NPUs. You're not going to escape it unless you run a Linux destro. 

4 hours ago, PowerPCFan said:

Here's another reason for me wanting to disable Copilot. SO ANNOYING MICRO$OFT!! 

If anyone knows how to delete Copilot completely, I made a post: 

Like this?

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/completely-disable-and-remove-copilot-in-windows-11.23264/

Looking into the files essential to copilot so I can mangle them beyond repair. Because MS dont have a good record of respecting users' choice in settings

Will also help to have wireshark on the DIY router to catch and block unwanted network activity

Posted (edited)

i mean there lots of programs already the phone home with data. your got a location id added in to the pc and micro hot fix can be dont ant any time with out you known. i didn't download an update as up dates were disable log ago but im still getting them... 🤷‍♂️

i probably have a virus but w/e when i open mind craft it shops a pic of my desktop then gets to the mc screen were you select your game then when it gets to the menu screen it shows a screen shot agan...

i bleave there a way to send updates thow usb too and some how mb just no the dat and time even with no battery🤔

im guessing everything your record thow obs or lie vlc is sent to a cloud as to why you need an online video player is beyond me...

the enet recorded everything you do anyway so no surprise there.

talks about something to do with hdmi and data block but i dont...

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

This might just finally be what will ensure I switch to Linux.

7 hours ago, Spotty said:

Unfortunately, I can think of uses for this....

An elderly family member (let's call her Joan) would never bookmark web pages when browsing for potential stuff to buy.

When I would come over to visit Joan if she wanted my opinion on something she wanted to buy...

Welp, I'd always have to wait 10-20 minutes for Joan to remember:

- which online shop it was

- brand

- model

It typically involved a lot of trial and error to find the thing again, let's say Joan wanted to buy a refrigerator.

Just replace "Find the red barn" with "Refrigerator" and a handy slider to scrub through dozens and dozens of refrigerators.
image.png.36a139c1f7f690fd7163538386f4abfd.png
It would be far quicker than going through browser history.

Anyhow, this feature is an excellent crutch for people who are not willing or capable of taking notes / organizing their shit. 😆

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

I would act outraged by this but it's been half a decade since i last booted into my Windows partition... and the next rig im planning wont have a windows partition anyway.

So yeah, don't care and a none issue. Dont like it, move away. Wanna keep consuming your gateway drug? stop complaining. Every "ermagod micorshit bad"  article is becoming tiresome at this point. Microsoft wants to squeeze every penny they can squeeze out of you, deal with it and move on.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

8 hours ago, Hellowpplz said:

laughs in linux

now being serious, if I remember correctly from the video released about it, you can turn it off somehow

but is it ever truly off? 😮 haha

You could use or make your own custom Windows image, Personally speaking i prefer using Windows Server 2022.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

This feature might be highly likely to be disabled by default in the EU, as it violates GDPR regulations

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

From what I've seen you can opt out and disable this, which makes sense. But this is just basically your PC usage history for you to fall back on with active search and find. Don't see it as anything new really. There was stuff like this already.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

15 hours ago, Spotty said:

Micromanagement by Management of employees, since they employ this technology already. Telecom companies have been using versions screen-recording for 20+ years to ensure employees aren't doing stupid things.

This practice however is super worthless since it consumes processor time, disk space, and network bandwidth on the off-chance an employee does something that needs a lawsuit to follow it.

For end-users this is pretty much worthless since it's acting as a screen recorder, not undo steps. This might be helpful for say, artists, who might accidently trash their art project, but the reality is that good paint programs already do this. Clients want proof that their commissions and contracts aren't just handing it to someone else who just used some AI program to generate it. Show your work.

15 hours ago, Spotty said:

/Facepalm

No kidding. The potential privacy issues here make it pretty much it something nobody should realistically use. If the computer can record it, someone else can watch it.

On a SERVER, this might make more sense to figure out what someone else did when the server stops operating normally. But most of the issues with servers are caused by Microsoft's own patches.

13 hours ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

There it is. If the Snapdragon elite doesn't support Ubuntu, I'm out, because I don't want that spyware crap running.

The SoC itself is supposed to have good upstream support, but good luck with the DTs for each notebook out there...

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

UK ICO (Information Commissioner's Office) is apparently looking in to the Recall feature over privacy concerns.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cpwwqp6nx14o

The UK data watchdog says it is "making enquiries with Microsoft" over a new feature that can take screenshots of your laptop every few seconds.

https://ico.org.uk/about-the-ico/media-centre/news-and-blogs/2024/05/statement-in-response-to-microsoft-recall-feature/

“We expect organisations to be transparent with users about how their data is being used and only process personal data to the extent that it is necessary to achieve a specific purpose. Industry must consider data protection from the outset and rigorously assess and mitigate risks to peoples' rights and freedoms before bringing products to market.

“We are making enquiries with Microsoft to understand the safeguards in place to protect user privacy.”

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

On 5/22/2024 at 1:14 AM, Hellowpplz said:

laughs in linux

Given how stupid Microsoft makes everything, it'll require hacking stuff up just like their utterly stupid installer when installing Windows if you don't want online account or don't want encrypted drives...