BOINC Pentathlon 2024

Good thing I stayed up late tonight, water loop has a tiny leak on my main pc 💦

My Folding Stats

Current Rigs

Raspberry Pi 5 8GB, Raspberry Pi 4 4GB, Raspberry Pi 3, Raspberry Pi Zero W, Raspberry Pi Zero...I like Pi

Fractal North,ASRock Riptide B550, Ryzen 7 5700X, 6700XT with custom CPU/GPU loop.

3 hours ago, SkillzTA said:

Yes its normal for that Primegrid sub project. Just make sure you're not running too many tasks at once otherwise it will be really, really long. The task utilizes 21.5MB of L3 cache. So look up your processor and see how much L3 it has. Make sure the task(s) will fit 100% within' that number. If it's an AMD processor then you need to look at the cache of the CCX. Zen2 and earlier have 16MB L3 cache. Not good for this Subproject. Zen3 and newer have 32MB of L3 cache (some more with the X3D parts) so you can safely run 1 task per CCX. Just make sure multi-threading is enabled and it's using all the cores in that specific CCX.

thank you,

I changed my strategy then, instead of 16 cpus. i provisioned 3 machines, with 32MB L3 each with 4 cores 8gb ram. limit to 1 task per server, utilization seems way higher

3 hours ago, Lightwreather said:

Just an update: I've switched to bunkering Ramanujani

I tried that. But Ramanujan refuses to give me any points for my work. I'm just working on primegrid and numberfields rn.image.png.fd4b37a60cfa81210531f2013c36d5c1.png

Was finally able to move some systems over to Numbers

10 minutes ago, AamirA said:

I tried that. But Ramanujan refuses to give me any points for my work. I'm just working on primegrid and numberfields rn.

Going via the Pentathlon chat you need to run the BOINC benchmark first before requesting any work, after attaching to the project possibly.

31 minutes ago, AamirA said:

I tried that. But Ramanujan refuses to give me any points for my work. I'm just working on primegrid and numberfields rn.image.png.fd4b37a60cfa81210531f2013c36d5c1.png

That screenshot shows points. It's not a lot, sure, but the project itself isn't going to issue large points like the PG CUL tasks. As leadeater said, you NEED to run the BOINC built-in benchmark because the project uses CreditScrew, I mean CreditNew to calculate points and that's based off the results of the benchmark on your host.

boinccmd --run_banchmarks

boinccmd --host ip:port --passwd password --run_benchmarks

Make sure nothing is running on the CPU when you do this (or as little as possible).

Project doesn't need to be attached to run the benchmark. 

After the benchmark, next time the host communicates with the project it will update the benchmark.

Tasks downloaded BEFORE the benchmark will not be updated. So benchmark FIRST before downloading tasks.

BOINC Team Member of TeAm AanandTech

BOINCGames.com - BOINC Competition all year long.

25 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Was finally able to move some systems over to Numbers

Good, glad you got some stuff on there. Let's get them crunching now!

15 minutes ago, SkillzTA said:

Good, glad you got some stuff on there. Let's get them crunching now!

Numbers is one of my favorite projects to run, the tasks are nice on CPU and GPU and don't take forever.

running number now finale and  seeing how it plays out.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

9 hours ago, SkillzTA said:

boinccmd --host ip:port --passwd password --run_benchmarks

Just a quick question, is the host the machine running boinc?

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

48 minutes ago, Lightwreather said:

Just a quick question, is the host the machine running boinc?

Yes, --host need to be supplied the BOINC computer address information to connect to it. You don't have to do it using boinccmd though. You can do it using the BOINC Manager GUI also.

image.png.ba0c183a764a430fb5336e4e373312c9.png

Hi all, I've been having some issues with NumberFields@Home. I've created an account for it through BAM and joined LinusTechTips_Team. I've also attached it to my machine and it appears in the BOINC Manager. However, in the manager it seems unable to find my account or start any work.

I checked on numberfields website last night and I could login to my account there, but now the website appears to be down...

any ideas?

image.thumb.png.c331a40efbec5ab04a3c572295bd8908.png

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

Ughh BOINC on Windows sucks for multi socket systems. Spent yesterday getting and making sure PrimeGrid tasks run correctly on each CPU, today nope and tasks eta for many days. Wish the project people gave a little more love and time in to making sure their processes are NUMA aware and handle it more correctly on Windows, dreams are free. 

Anyway moved all these problem Windows systems over to Numbers plus most of my other ones too.

3 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

I checked on numberfields website last night and I could login to my account there, but now the website appears to be down...

Keep trying, the site goes up and down all the time. Check your project preferences and make sure CPU and GPU is enabled, whichever or both you want to do.

15 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Ughh BOINC on Windows sucks for multi socket systems. Spent yesterday getting and making sure PrimeGrid tasks run correctly on each CPU, today nope and tasks eta for many days. Wish the project people gave a little more love and time in to making sure their processes are NUMA aware and handle it more correctly on Windows, dreams are free. 

Anyway moved all these problem Windows systems over to Numbers plus most of my other ones too.

and that why am not running my tr builds with prime.

its all gpu stuff.

then none tr build got the prime grid wu

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

31 minutes ago, dogwitch said:

and that why am not running my tr builds with prime.

its all gpu stuff.

then none tr build got the prime grid wu

The PrimeGrid sub project for the event is CPU only.

Ah, is it weird I'm not downloading anymore Ramanujan tasks? It's being like this for a couple hours…

image.thumb.png.948f6ef439fcbc5ce5da031bc0348fbc.png

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Yes, --host need to be supplied the BOINC computer address information to connect to it. You don't have to do it using boinccmd though. You can do it using the BOINC Manager GUI also.

-snip-

Thanks!

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

59 minutes ago, leadeater said:

The PrimeGrid sub project for the event is CPU only.

it gets toast warm if i load up all cores . in fl room get hot.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Were you using process lasso on the windows hosts?

1 hour ago, dogwitch said:

it gets toast warm if i load up all cores . in fl room get hot.

Winter(ish) here so that's exactly what I want, heattttt

31 minutes ago, SkillzTA said:

Were you using process lasso on the windows hosts?

Nah, but they can just run other stuff. Installing Linux on them is less than 15 mins, as you can tell I'm lazy 😉

Would be nice if I could commandeer the 18 2x 7713 hosts at work that have next to no CPU usage on them but that would get me in a lot of trouble haha.

37 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Winter(ish) here so that's exactly what I want, heattttt

its north of 100 here...

me no want heat....

i have deploy number on all 3 boxs.

only cpu on said box i ref.

number like 2070 and 80s

takes way to long for a 1060

Ramanujan seems to be playing the "hard to get" game and only giving as few WUs as possible at a time...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

19 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Ramanujan seems to be playing the "hard to get" game and only giving as few WUs as possible at a time...

lets see how it does after everyone unloads their bunked WUs 😅

My Folding Stats

Current Rigs

Raspberry Pi 5 8GB, Raspberry Pi 4 4GB, Raspberry Pi 3, Raspberry Pi Zero W, Raspberry Pi Zero...I like Pi

Fractal North,ASRock Riptide B550, Ryzen 7 5700X, 6700XT with custom CPU/GPU loop.

Also on (of course) my main machine it gets the estimate grossly wrong and that seems to only give a fraction of the credit, and can't seem to fix it... unless it's that it doesn't like you not giving it all of your resources, hmm

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2