BOINC Pentathlon 2024

4 minutes ago, Rbakker02 said:

I currently have set Boinc to use 99% as I won't be using the computer for anything else during the event. I'm currently doing prime grid tasks while I wait for tasks for city run. 

ok for that it's probably best to just run one task and make sure on the website preferences you've told it the correct number of threads to use (not the BOINC client app)

39 minutes ago, leadeater said:

ok for that it's probably best to just run one task and make sure on the website preferences you've told it the correct number of threads to use (not the BOINC client app)

Thanks great tip, changing threads on primegrid quartered the remaining time! 

6 hours ago, SkillzTA said:

Then again, perhaps SG is keeping GPU mostly out of the Pent this year due to rising power costs around the world.

Nah, CPUs draw power too, and even with higher power consumption GPUs are so much more efficient at doing calculations per watt.

RNMA is now finally giving WUs normally here, laptop got at least a day's worth of work in the queue.

Not sure my "simplified bunkering" technique will work for NFS so I'm now running PG on desktop and RNMA on laptop.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

am trying to make sure pc get feed . while me dealing with getting badly dehydrated (some how last weekend)and recovering from it.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

20 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

RNMA is now finally giving WUs normally here, laptop got at least a day's worth of work in the queue.

I have more tasks pending waiting quorum validation than our current total for the event so far 🙂

image.png.57fb669270519126b4588ac7adbc6a7c.png

My machine still can't find any work for RNMA. I guess I'll have to focus on Cullen till it does.

Finally managed to get some RNMA work 🙂

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

Is there a specific project I should run for NFS@Home? Should I just choose the one which uses the most memory?image.png.4abfeebeffea0645e15525d1ecd23059.png

19 minutes ago, AamirA said:

Is there a specific project I should run for NFS@Home? Should I just choose the one which uses the most memory?image.png.4abfeebeffea0645e15525d1ecd23059.png

I'm doing them all but 15e small numbers and 16e small numbers give the best points for run time. 16e small being the better of those two, not had any 16e V5 task so can't comment on that one.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

I'm doing them all but 15e small numbers and 16e small numbers give the best points for run time. 16e small being the better of those two, not had any 16e V5 task so can't comment on that one.

am only aiming at 2 type of wu atm.

prime cpu and the gpu numbers.

also we need to cough make sure lead rigs are unplug... cough.

must be all the  lead in the server room.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

9 minutes ago, dogwitch said:

and the gpu numbers.

The Numbers event has finished so I'd save your power bill and tell that project not not accept new tasks

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

The Numbers event has finished so I'd save your power bill and tell that project not not accept new tasks

good to know. thank you.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

We're starting to pick up speed in City Run, maybe we can gain a few places

image.png.96f8b62d05c5a908dc1e191faa631124.png

If everyones hourly work done remains the same (as it has been over the last hour) we'll get up to 5th place in the City Run. However, with another 2100 an hour we could chase down 3rd. Of course that dosn't account for the ramping up that others will be doing.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

On 4/23/2024 at 8:08 AM, leadeater said:

Dates: 05 May 2024 00:00 UTC - 19 May 2023 00:00 UTC

https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentathlon/start.php

image.thumb.png.523fefb220e975c086f6ec9428afbf2f.png

The Pentathlon is an annual event for several BOINC teams to compete across five disciplines (five different BOINC projects) to gain points and win medals.  Several teams, but only one team comes out as the winner.  The event last for over two weeks.  If you up to the challenge, come on and join the team in competing in the pentathlon and see if your hardware can handle the heat.

image.thumb.png.d2f9475536affcd00844950276a20d66.png

Team Name: LinusTechTips_Team

Contacts: TBA

What is BOINC?: https://linustechtips.com/topic/151235-official-ltt-boinc-faq-guide/

Events:

Marathon

• Project:  PrimeGrid: only subproject Cullen Prime Search LLR (CUL)
  • Resource Usage: CPU
  • Start:  05 May 2023 00:00 UTC
  • End:  19 May 2023 00:00 UTC
  • User Provided Setup Guide:  TBA

Sprint - Finished 4th

City Run

• Project: The Ramanujan Machine on BOINC
  • Resource Usage: CPU
  • Start:  07 May 2024 00:00 UTC
  • End:  12 May 2024 00:00 UTC
  • User Provided Setup Guide: TBA

Steeplechase

• Project: TBA
  • Resource Usage: TBA
  • StartTBA
  • End: TBA

Javelin Throw

Bunker Technique

An advance technique used during the Pentathlon to hold a large amount of WUs (Work Units) before a discipline start date.

Windows 7/8/10

Reveal hidden contents

How to setup multiple instances of BOINC

Advance BOINC Pent bunker technique

The following is a technique referred to as bunkering in the Pent.  The advantage of this technique is to hold many WUs that are crunch ahead of time before a discipline (BOINC project) start date occurs.  Once the discipline start date hits, the WUs are then off loaded from the client allowing a large amount of points to be gained at the start.

The technique is even used near the end of discipline dates to gain last minute advantages as well.  Usually can be seen when a team shows low output in one or two disciplines then all of a sudden a large amount of points are dumped on one project as the end date nears.  This can allow a team to take a higher spot at the end before other teams can react.

Note: this technique is not useful on projects with quorum 2.

Steps to setup another instance of BOINC for bunker technique:

Windows Method

1. First, create a new folder in C:\ProgramData
    • Example:  
      C:\ProgramData\BOINC2

2. Edit the cc_config.xml file to include the allow_multiple_clients option.
    • Example: 
      <cc_config>   
       	<options>    
        		<use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>    
        		<allow_multiple_clients>1</allow_multiple_clients>   
       	</options> 
      </cc_config>  

3. Next, creat a batch file in the new BOINC folder.
    • Example: 
      "c:\Program Files\BOINC\boinc.exe" --allow_multiple_clients --redirectio --detach_console --gui_rpc_port 31418 --dir C:\ProgramData\BOINC2 
      exit  

Note: Default port for BOINC is 31416.  Each instance requires its own port.  This is what the --gui_rpc_port sets.

•  

4. Run the batch file.  This will start another instance of BOINC which can now be setup to download and run more WUs to bunker with.

Now, you have another instance of BOINC running.  Next is to hook this instance to the BOINC Manager.

Connecting BOINC Manager to the new instance:

1. Create a new shortcut.
    • Rename this to the instance of BOINC made.  Example: BOINC2
  2. Copy the random letters and numbers from gui_rpc_auth.cfg.  This is the password.
  3. Edit the 'Target' line of the BOINC2 Shortcut to include the new port # and new password (this the random letters and numbers).
    • Example: 
      "C:\Program Files\BOINC\boincmgr.exe" /m /n 127.0.0.1 /g 31418 /p 37cf632b718387f4675342371b4055cc  

LL

• /g is for the port number you set for the new instance.  /p is for the random letters and numbers from the gui_rpc_auth.cfg file.

If requested, I will add the method for Linux.

Linux (conformed for Ubuntu and Mint) - if anyone else manage to get this to work on other Linux branches, please ping me or Ben so those can be added to the list.

Reveal hidden contents

NOTE:  Linux is case sensitive

All steps below are done within the terminal (Bash shell).  Shortcut for terminal:  Control+Shift+T

1. Create data directory for extra instances of BOINC.
    • sudo mkdir /var/lib/boinc2

For those not fully familiar with the Bash shell,  sudo - gives super user permission; mkdir - make directory (or as others refer, a folder), /var/lib/boinc2  -  path and directory name

2. Create cc_config.xml file.
    • sudo gedit /var/lib/boinc2/cc_config.xml

gedit - text editor; if you don't have this, you can use nano or vi or other text editors avaliable to Linux

3. Past text info cc_config.xml
    • <cc_config>         
       <options>                 
        <use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>                 
        <allow_multiple_clients>1</allow_multiple_clients>         
       </options> 
      </cc_config>  

This is to allow GPU usage and multiple clients to run.

4. Create a blank gui_rpc_auth.cfg
    • sudo gedit /var/lib/gui_rpc_auth.cfg

nano or vi or other text editors can be used here

5. Start BOINC Client Instance
    • sudo /usr/bin/boinc --daemon --allow_multiple_clients --gui_rpc_port 31422 --dir /var/lib/boinc2

--gui_rpc_port sets the port for the client instance.  --dir is the directory you made for the new instance in step 1.

To add to the BOINC Manager

1. Start BOINC
  2. Start your newly created BOINC instance.
  3. Go to "File" -> "Select computer..."
  4. For the hostname, enter 127.0.0.1:31422 (the number after the colon is the port number you set the new instance to)

Note: each new instance requires a different port.

How do I set up boinc for my computer. Also when is the next f@h event?

27 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

If everyones hourly work done remains the same (as it has been over the last hour) we'll get up to 5th place in the City Run. However, with another 2100 an hour we could chase down 3rd. Of course that dosn't account for the ramping up that others will be doing.

So what you're saying in it's time to deploy even my wife's laptop 😅

My Folding Stats

Current Rigs

Raspberry Pi 5 8GB, Raspberry Pi 4 4GB, Raspberry Pi 3, Raspberry Pi Zero W, Raspberry Pi Zero...I like Pi

Fractal North,ASRock Riptide B550, Ryzen 7 5700X, 6700XT with custom CPU/GPU loop.

19 minutes ago, mrtwonavels said:

How do I set up boinc for my computer. Also when is the next f@h event?

BOINC Guide:

The next folding event will be the summer sprint. Make sure to follow the Folding Community Board for announcements.

49 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

I've not been involved due to power issues, both systems have joined the city run 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I've not been involved due to power issues, both systems have joined the city run 

76 threads now crunching 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Okay, moved my desktop to RNMA now that it works, it also estimates things correctly now (used to think a WU would take 3h30 when it finished in ~18mins), so 48 threads on it

I hate those 8+ hour PG WUs. 3.5min NF was way cooler to see zip by.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

image.thumb.png.e2c367d52a6e2e9b4229b0f3fc4249e2.png

Very log2(x) like. But you can see when they fixed their feeder issue

Western Sydney University - 4th year BCompSc student

Looks good 

DSC_0980.JPG

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Looks good 

DSC_0980.JPG

It's so beautiful 🥲

My Folding Stats

Current Rigs

Raspberry Pi 5 8GB, Raspberry Pi 4 4GB, Raspberry Pi 3, Raspberry Pi Zero W, Raspberry Pi Zero...I like Pi

Fractal North,ASRock Riptide B550, Ryzen 7 5700X, 6700XT with custom CPU/GPU loop.

Someone ping me when you need my GPUs for something 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

52 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Now we are getting somewhere 🙂

Between 18:00 and 19:00 (UTC) we pulled 31,429. If we could keep that up until the end of the City Run we'd get 2,737,848. That is only about 93k ahead of where the same formulas say [H]ard|OCP will be though.

I'm going to go looking for a bit more processing power to turn to this goal...

He/Him

What sucks is that while they fixed supply validation is still extremely long. Feels like when it ends there'll be a day's worth of units that were submitted but won't have been validated. Same for everyone but still... poor project choice

F@H

GPD Win 2