BOINC Pentathlon 2024

Now, to try and figure out how I got this to run on Azure last time…

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

6 minutes ago, porina said:

One task. This falls under the mesh cache special case. They have a lot of L2 so it'll be fine. If they didn't have the L2 it'll still be 1 task, but it would be more memory bandwidth impacted.

Still only just enough for the 5118's, 1MB per core L2 and only 12 cores so 28.5MB. Thought it was going to be lower, big L2 cache is still small.

4 minutes ago, Favebook said:

Just a reminder to download latest version of BOINC for newet fixes/features:
https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

I've been using 7.20.1 until I just noticed there are new versions.

Here are release notes:
https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Release_Notes

I've still mostly using 7.16 🙃

Lots of effort to update it haha (to many systems)

18 minutes ago, Lightwreather said:

Now, to try and figure out how I got this to run on Azure last time…

Thank God I bookmarked the guide I used

http://www.benjamin-lemonnier.eu/notes/boinc-manage-remote-client.html

If anyone's interested in remote setup, or cloud boincing

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

And just another reminder that you can help the team get a head start by bunkering. This pretty much allows you to start the competition right now.

In the simplest form, all you have to do is switch boinc manager to advanced mode and change a few settings. In computing preferences, set the 'store at least ___ days' settings to a high-ish number. One day should be fine, as the competition starts in one day. This will download a bunch of tasks so be careful to not go over. Then set 'limit upload rate to' to 0.01 Kb/second. What essentially you are doing is downloading a bunch of tasks but not allowing boinc to upload them. Once the pentathlon starts, you can turn of the limit upload rate and it will submit all of them at once.

If you want to bunker one project but continue submitting another, then you will have to follow the instructions on the first post to get multiple instances of boinc.

5 minutes ago, AamirA said:

And just another reminder that you can help the team get a head start by bunkering. This pretty much allows you to start the competition right now.

Also the run times are so long for Marathon that if you start now your tasks will be completing after the start of the Pentathlon anyway.

47 minutes ago, leadeater said:

@danwat1234 You able to help out?

Thanks for letting me know about the event but dedicated 2 biological projects at this time I think.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Also the run times are so long for Marathon that if you start now your tasks will be completing after the start of the Pentathlon anyway.

Speak for yourself 🙂 I just started off some system and one was estimating finishing a little before the start. Pausing it a little to make sure that doesn't happen. That reminds me, I also need to switch to LTT team for PrimeGrid as I'm normally with another there.

Also, these units are bringing out coil whine in my PCs that I've never heard before. What is it doing? 😄 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 hours ago, AamirA said:

In the simplest form, all you have to do is switch boinc manager to advanced mode and change a few settings. In computing preferences, set the 'store at least ___ days' settings to a high-ish number. One day should be fine, as the competition starts in one day. This will download a bunch of tasks so be careful to not go over. Then set 'limit upload rate to' to 0.01 Kb/second. What essentially you are doing is downloading a bunch of tasks but not allowing boinc to upload them. Once the pentathlon starts, you can turn of the limit upload rate and it will submit all of them at once.

If you want to bunker one project but continue submitting another, then you will have to follow the instructions on the first post to get multiple instances of boinc.

Thanks for this, going to bunker Ramanujan now since it starts the 7th.

So think any of these will be ARM supported? I got some spare Pis to use 😅

My Folding Stats

Current Rigs

Raspberry Pi 5 8GB, Raspberry Pi 4 4GB, Raspberry Pi 3, Raspberry Pi Zero W, Raspberry Pi Zero...I like Pi

Fractal North,ASRock Riptide B550, Ryzen 7 5700X, 6700XT with custom CPU/GPU loop.

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

Ugh, should I switch to something else? I've got an eta of 2-3d on two tasks

Older stuff:

Spoiler

5 hours ago, danwat1234 said:

Thanks for letting me know about the event but dedicated 2 biological projects at this time I think.

No worries, the 2 weeks is quite a lot of work to manage across a lot of systems too.

4 hours ago, porina said:

Speak for yourself 🙂

I got stuff that does them in 5 hours 🙂

But WUs need validation tasks which can take days for someone to get allocated and do so you'll get points credited after the start so it's all good even if fast.

4 hours ago, porina said:

Also, these units are bringing out coil whine in my PCs that I've never heard before. What is it doing? 😄 

Math, a lot of math 😉

finally some good use for my monthly azure credits 😉

for those considering the same:

```

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv 40254C9B29853EA6

sudo apt-add-repository deb https://boinc.berkeley.edu/dl/linux/alpha/jammy jammy main

sudo apt install boinc-client

usermod -aG boinc <your username>

## restart the computer

boinccmd --project_attach https://www.primegrid.com/ YOUR_ACCOUNT_KEY

``` 

1 hour ago, Lightwreather said:

Ugh, should I switch to something else? I've got an eta of 2-3d on two tasks

What is your CPU, more than 15 hours and you could be trying to run too many tasks at once and need to change your PrimeGrid compute preferences.

31 minutes ago, leadeater said:

But WUs need validation tasks which can take days for someone to get allocated and do so you'll get points credited after the start so it's all good even if fast.

Good point. You never know who your work will be paired with. In normal running (outside Pentathlon) it is common for PG regulars to run little to no WU cache. Servers are reliable and work plentiful. Then again some times you get rogue clients which grab a ton of work and not do it.

Oh, max FFT size has gone up already. Now 2880k for 22.5MB cache per task. Not unexpected for it to go up, especially if there are a lot of people pulling work now.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 minutes ago, porina said:

Good point. You never know who your work will be paired with. In normal running (outside Pentathlon) it is common for PG regulars to run little to no WU cache. Servers are reliable and work plentiful. Then again some times you get rogue clients which grab a ton of work and not do it.

What I find slightly annoying is not knowing what is "good" for the subproject for the event, I don't run BOINC often enough let alone take much notice of the sub projects for them. Makes it difficult for me to know how much effort I should put in to getting systems up and running. It's not a small amount of work going through around 50 different systems and checking if they still work, are they ready and have an OS etc.

Is <gpu_usage> 0.5 </gpu_usage> still optimal for Nvidia 4000 GPUs for NumberFields@home?

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

2 hours ago, Favebook said:

Is <gpu_usage> 0.5 </gpu_usage> still optimal for Nvidia 4000 GPUs for NumberFields@home?

Most likely, I doubt much has changed. Also looks like are we are way down on that event, hopefully we'll pick up some steam soon.

On 4/23/2024 at 9:08 AM, leadeater said:

Sprint

Can you fix this on the first post? I didn't even realize numberfields is gpu cause resource usage isn't filled in right.