BOINC Pentathlon 2024

3 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

Now we are getting somewhere 馃檪

Between 18:00 and 19:00 (UTC) we pulled 31,429. If we could keep that up until the end of the City Run we'd get 2,737,848. That is only about 93k ahead of where the same formulas say [H]ard|OCP will be though.

I'm going to go looking for a bit more processing power to turn to this goal...

Happy to assist, I'll be adding a further 12 threads shortly

My Folding Stats聽-聽Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING!聽- If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it.聽

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w聽
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Same for everyone but still... poor project choice

Unfortunately there isn't a huge selection of projects that could be run

Western Sydney University - 4th year BCompSc student

1 hour ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Happy to assist, I'll be adding a further 12 threads shortly

please no...

dont hurt us....

MSI x399 sli plus聽 |AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz聽| Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

5 minutes ago, dogwitch said:

please no...

dont hurt us....

huh?

My Folding Stats聽-聽Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING!聽- If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it.聽

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w聽
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

88 threads now up and running

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w聽
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

14 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Nah, CPUs draw power too, and even with higher power consumption GPUs are so much more efficient at doing calculations per watt.

RNMA is now finally giving WUs normally here, laptop got at least a day's worth of work in the queue.

Not sure my "simplified bunkering" technique will work for NFS so I'm now running PG on desktop and RNMA on laptop.

Most GPUs draw MORE power than CPUs. So running GPUs 24/7 during the event will consume more power to run them. Sure, GPUs do more calculations per watt, but that's not the metric here. I'm saying if they're trying to keep power consumption low by keeping all the projects mostly on CPUs then your GPU isn't also running requiring more power. IE: 4 projects and all 4 are CPU, then your GPU wont be doing anything as you'll have to choose where to put your CPU. If 4 projects and 3 are CPU and 1 is GPU then you can have your CPU doing work on one of the 3 CPU projects and GPU doing work on the GPU project, thus requiring more power.

Historically though, the Pent has always been 3 "CPU" only projects and 2 "mostly" GPU projects [or projects that can also run on GPUs]

Additionally, the GPU doing more per watt isn't always true. My 64-core EPYCs can process at a rate of one task in less than 1 minute while a GPU can process at a rate of 1 task every 1 and a half minutes. A 4090 is going to use as much or more power than a 64-core Rome CPU. Hence why I didn't bother running my GPUs on Numberfields.聽

BOINC Team Member of TeAm AanandTech

BOINCGames.com - BOINC Competition all year long.

2 hours ago, Kilrah said:

What sucks is that while they fixed supply validation is still extremely long. Feels like when it ends there'll be a day's worth of units that were submitted but won't have been validated. Same for everyone but still... poor project choice

There's always projects in the Pent that are Quorum 2, nothing new. And it's always Marathon or City Run, btw Marathon is technically Quorum 2 but not actually, all work requires another validation Task to generated and returned for you to get your points.

It's honestly not a problem because everyone has to deal with it equally and a few of the other teams don't return all their completed work until the last day or even hours which will also validate all your work too.

1 hour ago, SkillzTA said:

Most GPUs draw MORE power than CPUs.

But what if you have 796 CPU cores?聽馃檭

13 minutes ago, leadeater said:

But what if you have 796 CPU cores?聽馃檭

I mean what happens if you have 13 4090s? lol That's ~400W * 13 = 5,200 watts an hour

Meanwhile, 796 CPU (cores or threads?)

796 CPU cores = 13 64-core Rome EPYCs. That's ~280W * 13 =聽3,640 watts an hour

I am pretty confident that 13, 64-core EPYCs vs 13, 4090s on Numberfields that 64-core EPYCs will win, by a lot.

For reference, I had ~12 64-core EPYCs on Numberfields during the competition and dropped over 20M points.

Not sure if any teams had any 4090s or how many they had, but I highly doubt 13, 4090s would produce 20M points.

If you meant threads, then we're talking half the power draw for the EPYC/CPU number and it'll probably be much closer on the comparison but half the power draw.

edit

Its a little unfair to compare on a sole points based with Numberfields with GPUs vs CPUs for the simple fact that GPU tasks are worth 240 points while CPUs are worth 262 points. However, the 64-core EPYCs will still have more tasks.

64 cores, 128 threads running 128 tasks at once will complete the tasks every roughly 2 hours. That's 120 minutes to complete 128 tasks which is just below 1 task ever <60 seconds.

1 4090, while I don't own any 4090s, I seen someone mention that they complete the tasks in a little OVER 1 minute effective time. I'm guessing its a little over 3 minutes running 3x at once they were doing which means the effective time would be over >60 seconds per task.

So 1, 64-core EPYC would do more work than 1, 4090 and consume less power.

Not even accounting for the fact that the 4090 needs a CPU to work adding more power while the CPU can run headless without a GPU drawing overall less power on the system than the GPU system.

I don't even know why I am typing all this, but it's a cool, civil argument so far so I'm okay with it. Never learned anything from someone who agrees with everything I say.聽

24 minutes ago, SkillzTA said:

Meanwhile, 796 CPU (cores or threads?)

Cores, I only count cores聽馃槈

24 minutes ago, SkillzTA said:

I mean what happens if you have 13 4090s? lol That's ~400W * 13 = 5,200 watts an hour

It means I want to break in and take some of those, damn I can only dream of having that many 4090's

Those DL580 Gen9's btw use 1000W fully loaded, so that's 2KW for me just from those. 8x DL360 Gen9 @ 405W each, 4x XL420 Gen10 @ 600W each, 6x DL380 Gen9 @ 320W each, 3x DL385 Gen10+ (only using 32 cores total per server via VMs) @ 509W each, 2x DL360 Gen10 @ 600W each and finally 5x DL380p Gen8 that died last night聽馃槩

13,247W聽

When it's hot af at your friends house but you wanna be nice | @CocoCurliQ  | Memes

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Cores, I only count cores聽馃槈

It means I want to break in and take some of those, damn I can only dream of having that many 4090's

Those DL580 Gen9's btw use 1000W fully loaded, so that's 2KW for me just from those. 8x DL360 Gen9 @ 405W each, 4x XL420 Gen10 @ 600W each, 6x DL380 Gen9 @ 320W each, 3x DL385 Gen10+ (only using 32 cores total via VMs) @ 509W each, 2z DL360 Gen10 @ 600W each and finally 5x DL380p Gen8 that died last night聽馃槩

13,247KW聽

When it's hot af at your friends house but you wanna be nice | @CocoCurliQ  | Memes

Well you're comparing OLD, very OLD CPUs to very modern GPUs. Not really a fair comparison. The Romes are pretty old these days and I'm comparing them to a much newer GPU and the CPUs are coming out on top. Newer EPYCs like Milan or even Geona will use similar power and complete tasks faster thus leaving the 4090s in the dust even faster.

edit

I think you mean 13,247 watts NOT kilowatts. That's only 13.2 KW. lol

7 minutes ago, SkillzTA said:

Well you're comparing OLD, very OLD CPUs to very modern GPUs. Not really a fair comparison. The Romes are pretty old these days and I'm comparing them to a much newer GPU and the CPUs are coming out on top. Newer EPYCs like Milan or even Geona will use similar power and complete tasks faster thus leaving the 4090s in the dust even faster.

edit

Don't worry I was only joking in the first place聽馃槈

I'm just jealous of high end GPU owners haha

7 minutes ago, SkillzTA said:

Ah yes lol. I had it written in decimal KW first but thought it looked better in W.

Edit:

You won't find anyone taking it super seriously around here. Competitively trying hard to do well but that's it.

That was a good hour, almost 36k points

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w聽
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Don't worry I was only joking in the first place聽馃槈

I'm just jealous of high end GPU owners haha

Ah yes lol. I had it written in decimal KW first but thought it looked better in W.

LOL I wasn't sure if you were being serious or not. Don't know you all that well, but yeah. Good one. HAHA

I am too, most of my GPUs are pretty old at the moment. Getting about time for me to go through and update my fleet.

When I first read it I didn't even notice the K until I read it again after posting. I was like wait a minute. 13,000 KW? WHAT? LMAO

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

If it was that much I'm pretty sure I'd be on fire, and everything around me.

Think of the AC unit you'd need for that

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w聽
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

If it was that much I'm pretty sure I'd be on fire, and everything around me.

That wasn't you in that pic?

New high of 41,749 points!!!聽

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w聽
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

another 40k update聽

image.png.123da0c3aa1e1d028afbfc0b47403f61.png

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w聽
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

huh?

when you show up. you tend to be in top of the leader boards for the event,

MSI x399 sli plus聽 |AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz聽| Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

8 hours ago, SkillzTA said:

Like with F@H you can heavily power limit them with little effect on time, I was running my 3080 at 60%PL and it only added a few seconds on average

Also my CPU does 300W if I don't limit it 馃槃

F@H
Desktop:聽i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0,聽Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO,聽Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro聽RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan),聽Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

14 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Also my CPU does 300W if I don't limit it 馃槃

Intel CPU detected聽馃槈