MetallicAcid's Monolith FT03

MetallicAcid

OH wow.. *changes pants*

NZXT H440   //   MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC   //   i5 4670K   //   MSI GTX 780 Lightning 3GB   //   HyperX Beast 8GB 2400mhz   //   OCZ Agility

Touching the rad shouldn't damage any components.

It's isolated from the components and grounded on the chassis once it's in place

how it is grounded? 

how it is grounded?

the case, the liquid, tubing if it's copper tubing

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

how it is grounded? 

Once it's attached to the case it's grounded.

The rad will be touching the case, which will be touching the PSU casing, which is connected to ground through the plug.

The rad is unlikely to be storing much charge anyway, so unless you're touching it against an ESD sensitive part of the system, like the pins on a CPU, you don't really need to worry about ESD with it.

The only reason you have to gound yourself when working on your PC is because you touch the most sensitive parts of the system.

If you didn't touch your system's components directly, it wouldn't be so important to ground yourself.

If you need further explanation, let me know. We have a lot of ESD training at work :)

Hey guys!!! Firstly wow, thanks for the massive response to far already :D Glad to know that I am on the right track with this project :)

You started this topic the day after my birthday. 

I go cri naow.

Please don't cry mate!! :( I am sorry :P

i have another newbie question what if you touch the rad? static electricity  will go through and damage the components? or you can touch it all the time?

Knowledge is power my friend. No, touching the rad whilst it is attached will not cause any damage even when the PC is in use.

how do you make the renders?

I make the models in 2 different programs. I have used SketchUp of AutoDesk Inventor to make the 3D models, and then used another program called Keyshot 4 to render them.

One more thing, how are you going to plug anything to the back i/o when it is going to be covered like that? Is there a latch or door up there?

you can do it like this.

The front armour plate that wraps around the back I plan to attach with velcro so it is easy to attach and remove. I will buy a powered USB hub to have near the monitor to help minimize the amount of times I have to pull off this armoured panel.

Another interesting build, MetallicAcid never fails to suprise :D

Thanks man! Original is the name of the game :D

Touching the rad shouldn't damage any components.

It's isolated from the components and grounded on the chassis once it's in place

Correct :)

OH wow.. *changes pants*

:D Thanks for checking out the project mate.

how it is grounded? 

The rad will be screwed directly to U-profile which is screwed directly to the case's back panel.

Correct too :)

The rad will be touching the case, which will be touching the PSU casing, which is connected to ground through the plug.

The rad is unlikely to be storing much charge anyway, so unless you're touching it against an ESD sensitive part of the system, like the pins on a CPU, you don't really need to worry about ESD with it.

The only reason you have to gound yourself when working on your PC is because you touch the most sensitive parts of the system.

If you didn't touch your system's components directly, it wouldn't be so important to ground yourself.

If you need further explanation, let me know. We have a lot of ESD training at work :)

Great info Rhys - you might want to write up an article and have it stickied if you have the time.

Mini text update guys and girls. The U-channel is hopefully arriving tomorrow and I will have the rad brackets made and ready for paint. Once the rad is in place, I can then buy the GPU block and fittings and get started with the routing.

I have also bought the ASUS Armor Kit for the Z87 Gryphon, but will not attach it until when I am going to install the motherboard into the FT03.

Lastly, the CNC mill that I was going to use has a broken motor, so the panels will not be milled for a few weeks. It seems that it might be the last thing done with this project. 

Have a good one everyone!

Justin.

http://www.facebook.com/metallicacidcustomspcs

ty :)

Cue 40 pages of renders but little log.........

Did you not finish the 07?

After 30 pages or what ever it is......

I like his builds...just not the endless waffle.....

I felt the same way, I understand he was planning it and all, and that he may be really passionate about what he does.. 

But after seeing like the 500th render picture, I was like.. Yeah...................... when does the actual building start..

(no offence)

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Cue 40 pages of renders but little log.........

Did you not finish the 07?

Seriously? He's not building or posting this for your benefit, he's posting it to share his work with us. There's nothing wrong with a lot of planning, I for one think it's best to completely plan out every part of the build to a level of detail that you seem suitable. No one is making you look at these so if you don't like seeing a bunch of renders before the final product then seek life elsewhere.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I felt the same way, I understand he was planning it and all, and that he may be really passionate about what he does.. 

But after seeing like the 500th render picture, I was like.. Yeah...................... when does the actual building start..

(no offence)

dis how I feel :(

Seriously? He's not building or posting this for your benefit, he's posting it to share his work with us. There's nothing wrong with a lot of planning, I for one think it's best to completely plan out every part of the build to a level of detail that you seem suitable. No one is making you look at these so if you don't like seeing a bunch of renders before the final product then seek life elsewhere.

Oh, stop pretending. When someone posts a build log, they're obviously posting for other people's benefit. If they didn't, there would be no point in anyone showing off their build to anyone ever.

Sharing planning is perfectly fine, but when people are waiting for results (because it is a given that you would provide them), it's a bit of a tease to not see much progress. Still, I don't mind waiting. I see plenty of build logs, so I can always be interested somewhere. But some people are eager for specific projects to be completed, like this one. They want to see result almost as much as the builder because they like seeing creativity. 

Once you open a project for public viewing and basically promise that you would keep things flowing, it shouldn't be a surprise that people get antsy when you don't.

That said, OP should take as much time as they need, and we shouldn't urge them too much.

"M. Aronnax." replied the Canadian, "your arguments are rotten at the foundation. You speak in the future, 'We shall be there! we shall be here!' I speak in the present, 'We are here, and we must profit by it.'"

Yes.

When you see the same pics over and over on Facebook then you expect more when the log starts.

Many forums would move a thread with no modding in to planning,Bittech would pull it down or move it to modding.

In this forum?  http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/

His last log was nearly 30 pages without a single thing being done other than endless renders.

I like Justin and I like his work,i dont like endless renders.

So suck it up.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

Can we stop talking about the TJ07 project here guys? I am not showing any planning in this thread like what I did with the TJ07 project. Some people like what I did there, and others don't. There is not much else to do about it.

This project has been fully planned out, and I have started work on it. I have shared all renders in the original post as there are people who do not follow me on Facebook, and it gives an overall impression of what I want to do :)

So with this said, comes an update..

/Justin

wm1nMWj_zps2faaacec.jpg

Welcome again to another update :)

Today I would like to report on progress made with making a paper prototype of the top plate, where the tubing will go through into the PC. I do not like the original plate as I think that there is too much going on which takes away from the clean look that I am aiming for. Here is what it looks like "stock":

untitled-3-2_zpsb3128747.jpg

Here is the first prototype that I had made and printed from SketchUp. I thought it was missing something...

untitled-1-2_zps7eff418d.jpg

And the last prototype. This one I am most happy with. To get a start on the tube routing, I might have to make this panel by hand instead of waiting for the CNC mill to be repaired.

untitled-2-2_zpse48fc330.jpg

And here is the associated render to show what I am aiming for. I am currently debating if I should have the front IO panel or not. I do not need it, and plan on installing a vandal switch somewhere else, so it might just go.

untitled34_zps380ebbfb.jpg

I will be picking up the U-channel which came in just today at my local hardware store, so I hope to have it cut, ready to be painted with the rad installed.

Have a good one!

Justin "MetallicAcid" Ohlsen

purple is a great color for this 

|CPU: Intel core i5 3570k @ 4.5GHZ |Motherboard: Asus Z77 -V lx2 Full atx |RAM:Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8GB DDR3 1866MHz |GPU: 2 X ASUS AMD Radeon HD7850 2gb Crossfire |Case: Corsair Carbide 300r |Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2tb2 Samsung 840 120gb ssd raid 0 |PSU: Seasonic 750w 80+ PSU |Display: lg 32" 1080p 60Hz |Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 + 4Noctua NF-P14 scythe Kaze Q-12 Fan Controller |Keyboard: SideWinder X6 |Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 |

Looks great. Do you make every 3D render yourself or is there a website where you can get renders of hardware?

Would it be possible to also cover were the gpus and motherboard io are, and then punch out were the connectors are. It would look so clean

Would it be possible to also cover were the gpus and motherboard io are, and then punch out were the connectors are. It would look so clean

that sounds very good and doable in my ears, let's wait for a answer.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Looks great. Do you make every 3D render yourself or is there a website where you can get renders of hardware?

Thank you Note. I do all of the modelling and rendering myself. There are many models in the Trimble SketchUp 3D warehouse, but sometimes they don't have what I need, so I then just make the model myself.

that sounds very good and doable in my ears, let's wait for a answer.

This is a very nice idea, and very doable. The only thing is that there will be no ventilation holes at all for the 2 intake fans located at the bottom. I will consider the idea and come back with a reply in a few days :)

BTW great suggestion!

Best regards,

Justin

Nice renderings. I followed, can't wait to see more.

Resolution is a word. 5 is a number.

I found a new one!

9ixId5W.gif

exactly my thoughts.

Alright good sir, you got yourself your 70th follower :D

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

Thank you Note. I do all of the modelling and rendering myself. There are many models in the Trimble SketchUp 3D warehouse, but sometimes they don't have what I need, so I then just make the model myself.

This is a very nice idea, and very doable. The only thing is that there will be no ventilation holes at all for the 2 intake fans located at the bottom. I will consider the idea and come back with a reply in a few days :)

BTW great suggestion!

Best regards,

Justin

What if you made the cover have a couple slits for exhaust?