MetallicAcid's Monolith FT03

MetallicAcid

Nice renderings. I followed, can't wait to see more.

I found a new one!

9ixId5W.gif

exactly my thoughts.

Alright good sir, you got yourself your 70th follower :D

My thanks guys!

Happy to see that my work is appreciated by you :)

What if you made the cover have a couple slits for exhaust?

I have considered this :) I am going to try and fix a CAD model and have something to show as soon as I get some free time ;)

Best regards,

Justin.

http://www.facebook.com/metallicacidcustomspcs

Any updates? I'm waiting....

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Sorry terrytek, no official update just yet..

But I am working on the rad brackets:

untitled-1-2_zpsc6d0f558.jpg

untitled-3-2_zps73af0f47.jpg

untitled-4-2_zps347ff3ab.jpg

And got in some new RAM which I am currently modding:
untitled-14-2_zps58c1861a.jpg

untitled-10-3_zpsb369b0b1.jpg

untitled-8-2-2_zpsa4ccda28.jpg

I hope this is enough for you mate until I finish one or the other to post up officially :)

Best regards,
Justin

Sorry terrytek, no official update just yet..

But I am working on the rad brackets:

And got in some new RAM which I am currently modding:

I hope this is enough for you mate until I finish one or the other to post up officially :)

Best regards,

Justin

So how are you gonna mod those? I thought the heat spreaders can't come off, no? Edited by alpenwasser
spoiler for quote

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

He already has, note they are red in first and painted in the second?

Oh.

So how are you gonna mod those? I thought the heat spreaders can't come off, no?

Oh, just a heads up. Please don't quote pictures because people might be on their mobile devices and they might use a lot more data than if you didn't quote pics. It also helps keep the pages short too. Thanks.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Oh, just a heads up. Please don't quote pictures because people might be on their mobile devices and they might use a lot more data than if you didn't quote pics. It also helps keep the pages short too. Thanks.

It's also annoying to see the same images again, and the response is merely, "I like."

...How thick is that U-Channel. You could hang a building off that

The profile is 40x40x4mm. It is super heavy, and I am concerned that this weight combined with a rad full of water will make the case tip, or cause alot of stress on the screws where the panel is screwed onto the case. The plan then is to use a section of U-channel stuck under the rad which will act as a support, and alleviate some of the stress and weight.

So how are you gonna mod those? I thought the heat spreaders can't come off, no?

I had removed the red part and painted them black. I want to do something with the stickers too, black them out or something. The problem is that I do not have any more ink in my printer, and couldn't be bothered buying more.. If only I had some vinyl or something...

Best regards,

Justin,

wm1nMWj_zps2faaacec.jpg

Hey guys!

Today's update is featuring some Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 16GB RAM that I modified with giving it a lick of Carbon Black paint. I am planning on doing something with the stickers at a later time, like creating my own or covering them with vinyl. There isn't much more to write about, so enjoy the pics :)

untitled-11-2_zps0049a8b2.jpg
untitled-12-3_zps02fa539b.jpg
untitled-13-2_zps6fd24639.jpg
untitled-9-2-2_zps0a62042d.jpg
untitled-10-2-2_zpsfbc6fbda.jpg

Bonus photo: A nice way to have them cure faster ;) There is plenty of warmth coming from this Dell Ultrasharp 27U11 to help with this normally long procces.
untitled-16-3_zps25fd38ff.jpg

Thanks for coming along and reading once again!
Best regards,
Justin "MetallicAcid" Ohlsen

Awesome build! Nice to see something a little different with the giant radiator, I was kind of getting bored of one bog standard liquid cooled rig after another

Speaking of which, how are the mounting brackets coming on? I'd love to see that rad on the case  ;)

Also I love your paint drying method! The best I could do is use a desk lamp and a fan  :P

My PC:

4670k      GTX 760 ACX      CoolerMaster Hyper 412s      Fractal Design Node 804      G1 Sniper M5      Corsair RM 650      WD Red 1TB     Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

Awesome build! Nice to see something a little different with the giant radiator, I was kind of getting bored of one bog standard liquid cooled rig after another

Speaking of which, how are the mounting brackets coming on? I'd love to see that rad on the case  ;)

Also I love your paint drying method! The best I could do is use a desk lamp and a fan  :P

I am almost ready to post up some pictures of the brackets completed, It has taken a little longer than I had thought due to the process of which I have to cut and file. Those pics will also be included in that update! 

Thanks, although I have received some negative feedback from others regarding the external rad... I like it though, and that is what matters. I mean, why should watercooling be limited to the case? It is not like the rad is another unit or its own free standing tower, and it is not butt ugly like some HAF case with a 360 rad hanging off with 100mm space between it and the case. :D

As for the drying, I ended up taking them back outside and hitting them with a hairdryer for about 8x5min blasts. And then I installed them directly onto the RAM and into the PC where it is also warmer than usual :) They should definitely be fully cured by now :D

Thanks for looking regardless mate, and hope to see you at the next update!

Justin.

wm1nMWj_zps2faaacec.jpg

Hi again guys and girls! :)

Today's update is featuring the rad brackets which I have fabricated from 40x40x4mm aluminium U-channel. They will support the radiator whilst it is hanging from the back panel of the FT03 case. The process involved drilling a whole lot of holes, then sawing the holes which are on an angle, and then to bend up the flap like it was a can of goulasch. And a lot of filing of course! :D

My workshop this time was on my shitty little balcony. It is always nice with some fresh air, and to keep our apartment free of aluminium chips. 

untitled-2-2_zpsdabdc9fc.jpg

7_zps1253117a.jpg

6_zps46c26de0.jpg

8_zps4bc2e4f4.jpg

9_zps0d4a5f61.jpg

10_zps0f7a442c.jpg

11_zps7ad5bc76.jpg

12_zpsf9b5e6a7.jpg

13_zps5da065b4.jpg

14_zps2031ff3f.jpg

15_zps9913eac9.jpg

16_zpsea34b3f5.jpg

In the coming pictures, I try to show how the fans+rad+ bracket is held together. I tapped holes into the aluminium profile so that when the screws go through the aluminium, then then continue into the holes of the radiator bracket, holding everything in place.

26_zpsd3df19a2.jpg

27_zpsa309952f.jpg

untitled-17-2_zps61d92b09.jpg

untitled-6-2-2_zps7ef8c0db.jpg

untitled-7-2-2_zpseb0805f4.jpg

20_zps9793780c.jpg

21_zpsb347efc8.jpg

22_zps2ec684dd.jpg

28_zpsbe046300.jpg

29_zpse5bf06d4.jpg

In other news, I am just wrapping up painting the rad brackets, and will have some pictures coming up within a day or so! Thanks for once again reading my project log :)

Best regards,

MOOOOAAR

"THE RED ARMY"

| INTEL i5 4690K | GIGABYTE Z97X GAMING 3 | XFX R9 390X | CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 4x2 8GB 1600Mhz | CORSAIR H80i | XFX XTR 650W | 1TB WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLUE | ADATA SP600 256GB | LOGITECH G502 | CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1400 | CORSAIR K70 MECHANICAL RED | NZXT S340 |

Awesome :)  :wub: Can't wait to see the final results. 

Thanks! I will have everything up and ready to show soon :D

MOOOOAAR

Soon ;)

Wow, you had to do that the HARD way!

Didn't have a JigSaw Justin?

That paint still, gorgeous.

Fantastic mate, I think the external rad is awesome.

Do yourself a favour and buy a jigsaw  :P

I actually do have a jigsaw... Problem is that the blade is too long and would hit the bottom, where I don't want to cut or have damaged. And to Dremel would have used too many disks, been messy and been very loud. My neighbors wouldn't appreciate the whining sound the Dremel likes to make ;) Besides, it wasn't difficult. The whole process would have taken no more than 10mins for each section.

/J.

Thanks! I will have everything up and ready to show soon :D

Soon ;)

I actually do have a jigsaw... Problem is that the blade is too long and would hit the bottom, where I don't want to cut or have damaged. And to Dremel would have used too many disks, been messy and been very loud. My neighbors wouldn't appreciate the whining sound the Dremel likes to make ;) Besides, it wasn't difficult. The whole process would have taken no more than 10mins for each section.

/J.

Wow great job, very innovative. I would have been there with a Dremel probably. The sooner I get a CNC the better :P

You've ruined so many pairs of my pants MA, I'm gonna either have to stop looking at your builds or bill you.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I want MOAR! I have to say that you are the best modder in the forum, i love your projects ;)

As the mid air open chair, lel, dis is gud!

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Wow great job, very innovative. I would have been there with a Dremel probably. The sooner I get a CNC the better :P

Thanks :) If only I had my own CNC....... Oh the wonderful possibilities!

You've ruined so many pairs of my pants MA, I'm gonna either have to stop looking at your builds or bill you.

Sorry mate. I go through a few pairs myself when I see it taking shape ;) I am as giddy as a schoolgirl! :3

I want MOAR! I have to say that you are the best modder in the forum, i love your projects ;)

As the mid air open chair, lel, dis is gud!

Oh wow, thanks mate! That is an awesome complement to hear :D

Thanks for all of the great comments, and to all 84 people who have subscribed! And hi Lazy pickle who is currently reading the log :P

Best regards,

Justin.

wm1nMWj_zps2faaacec.jpg

Welcome again to another update :)

With this update I would like to thank Icemodz.com for supplying this project with all that I could possibly need to make sure that my sleeving is beautiful and that the case has LED lighting, plus everyting else in between!

untitled-7-2_zps09b0e09b.jpg

Here come the item names and links.

I cannot wait to get this thing put together guys!! But I can say that there is nothing more boring than watching paint dry ;)

Best regards,