CPU Temps were fine months ago, but are now constantly 70+ even when idle, and throttling when under load.

Vennaya

So my PC has an I5-13600k, cooled by an MSI MAG CORELIQUID C280 AIO. The Raditator is placed on the roof of the case, with the tubes towards the front.

When i first built this PC, i was having cooling issues but this was quickly resolved by undervolting the CPU, which was easy as i have an MSI motherboard so i just changed the lite load from mode 9 (the default) to mode 5. Doing this, it no longer thermal throttled, even during long cinebench runs (the highest i got was like 88c or something). At the time i didnt think much of it, because after doing research online, it seems these CPUs basically cooked themselves out of the box without undervolting.

The last time i checked my temps, it was probably a few months ago, via HWINFO. They were fine at the time. idling around 40C or so. Only ever getting up to the high 80s while under a high load.

However, just yesterday i noticed that the fans on the PC were being rather loud even when idle, and so i opened up HWINFO and to my horror, my PC was thermal throttling even when idle just on the desktop! Temps were fine just a few months ago and nothing could have really changed to create such a gigantic increase!

Not long after that, i restarted my PC, updating windows in the process. This is where i gets a bit muddled because, after updating windows, Temps were still HIGH but not overbearing. It was idling at around 60-65. Still a good amount more than i'd expect, but not necissarily bad. It still seems to be similar to that, as right now its currently idling at 56 just with me typing this out, and nothing else really going on that could tax the PC. I say its muddled because i doesn't make me certain its a hardware issue....

However, today ive found that even while playing basic games, or even watching a video, temps will shoot up, and thermal throttle.

I have taken some steps. Namely i hopped back in to the BIOS and moved the lite load down one mode, or in other words, undervolted it more. I also adjusted the fan curve to be more aggressive.

However this doesn't seem to have helped.

At this time, i also noticed what sounds like....almost like a clicking sound, coming from the PC? Presumably, from the pump that is inside the rad. I did touch the tubes and it does seem to be pumping just fine however, one is hot and one is cold so its not like the pump has failed.... The sound itself isnt overly loud, and i did hear something similar before but it was very quiet and presumably just the pump going about its work. The clicking isn't constant, maybe only one every dozen or more seconds, and is infrequent. Or in short bursts of clicks. In fact, right now i can't hear it.

As an added precaution, i did a basic dusting of the PC, removing dust from the filters etc.

My next step was going to be to re-paste the CPU but....i really dont want to do that, as it was a gigantic pain in the ass getting the AIO block on to the CPU in the first place, without smearing the paste everywhere (First time using an AIO over air cooling, built this PC back in late 2022, so its not like the pump is very old either, neither is the thermal paste).

(Also, i heard that these cpus can buckle over time so i didn't really want to remove it for fear of not being able to getting it back on)

So before i do that...i Just wanted to post on here and maybe get some input, see if there is anything i've missed or other steps i might be able to take?

Thanks in advance!

16 minutes ago, Vennaya said:

and nothing else really going on that could tax the PC

Before we go further trying to troubleshoot this  isn't that cooler literally being recalled for issues or was that another model? 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

15 minutes ago, Vennaya said:

MSI MAG CORELIQUID C280

Not specifically named but its an MSI AIO, pump in radiator design by Apaltek. I wouldn't trust that thing to cool anything at this point, they've proven garbage. 

Even if its a newer model, I have zero faith its performing like it should.

3 minutes ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

Before we go further trying to troubleshoot this  isn't that cooler literally being recalled for issues or was that another model? 

I think i remember hearing about that yes, but after doing a quick google search just now, it was only the 240mm rad version, and 360 i think. The 280 was never recalled.

Still, like i say, for well over a year and a half, up until recently, it was performing flawlessly.

4 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

That article mentions E series coolers, but mine is a C series.

I can't find any mention of a C series recall, or issues. Soooo....Not sure what to think.

27 minutes ago, Vennaya said:

So my PC has an I5-13600k, cooled by an MSI MAG CORELIQUID C280 AIO.

sounds like a faulty AIO.

First step:  Feel the tubes and make sure it feels like stuff is moving through it like it should.

Second Step:  Use software / BIOS control to turn up the pump speed and see if it sounds weird.

Third Step:  If that sounds right, try remounting it on your CPU.

If 1 or 2 fail?  RMA the cooler

57 minutes ago, tkitch said:

sounds like a faulty AIO.

First step:  Feel the tubes and make sure it feels like stuff is moving through it like it should.

Second Step:  Use software / BIOS control to turn up the pump speed and see if it sounds weird.

Third Step:  If that sounds right, try remounting it on your CPU.

If 1 or 2 fail?  RMA the cooler

I'd follow this, is the pump still pumping and fans on the rad spinning or not?

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

2 minutes ago, podkall said:

I'd follow this, 

i would not.  its clogged up with gunk 

its almost more like a heater  🙃🙃

14 minutes ago, NorKris said:

i would not.  its clogged up with gunk 

its almost more like a heater  🙃🙃

which would then lead to RMA, which is what I'd follow, but then I'd buy different cooler

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

Okay well i've emailed MSI support about possibly getting my issue sorted, because as far as im aware its still within its warranty?

Never done an RMA before so i dunno. No idea if they'd be able or willing to simply refund me, considering its been well over a year since i bought it, and amazon, where i bought it from, only offers refunds for up to 30 days, obviously.

In the meantime i may try re-pasting the CPU but honestly, im not sure how that might help. Because like i say, as recently as a few months ago, it was working flawlessly...But honestly i don't know. I don't know what could cause it to go bad so quickly, because from my experience thermal paste doesn't degrate that quickly, and not suddenly after being fine for over a year. Though this is my first time using an AIO/Watercooling a system.

Any other help i could get in the meantime would be appreciated.

12 minutes ago, Vennaya said:

Any other help i could get in the meantime would be appreciated.

Buy $45 Frost Spirit 140 and have a more reliable cooler. Those MSI AIOs have a horrible track record and your specific variant or not, it’s the same design that’s been problematic. 

If you really want to be sure, pull the cold plate off and verify for yourself. 

1 hour ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Buy $45 Frost Spirit 140 and have a more reliable cooler. Those MSI AIOs have a horrible track record and your specific variant or not, it’s the same design that’s been problematic. 

If you really want to be sure, pull the cold plate off and verify for yourself. 

I've been looking at coolers ever since i saw its probably a flawed cooler. Saw the Peerless assasin as a potential buy, as im not sure if im comfortable going AIO route again, even if i do want the extra performance it provides. Like i mentioned, while running cinebench with lite load turned down, it never throttled.

Though i hadnt seen or heard about the frost spirit?

I've also looked in to getting a mounting frame. I just hope its not bent already.

And what...is a cold plate? You mean the block that makes contact with the CPU itself? Won't that just cause the CPU to shut itself off after a minute or two? Please explain what you mean.

I am using a Thermalright AIO, it is better than their air coolers.. I have most of them. As for the test of time.. I am working on it 😄

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

8 minutes ago, freeagent said:

I am using a Thermalright AIO, it is better than their air coolers.. I have most of them. As for the test of time.. I am working on it 😄

ya get back to us in like a few years dont forget...let us now that the aio you have is g2g and that you cant buy it any more...🤷‍♂️

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

19 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya get back to us in like a few years dont forget...let us now that the aio you have is g2g and that you cant buy it any more...🤷‍♂️

Well of course. I preached about permeation on AIOs, and the strong performance of Thermalright coolers for years, don't forget who you are talking to.

Also, my AIO cost 77 bucks CAD, and it beats on everything out there, with my config. I will gladly throw it away when it is time.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Well of course. I preached about permeation on AIOs, and the strong performance of Thermalright coolers for years, don't forget who you are talking to.

Also, my AIO cost 77 bucks CAD, and it beats on everything out there, with my config. I will gladly throw it away when it is time.

were you the guy that would post all the time about there coolers? i cant remember 🤷‍♂️ anyway they were good coolers. ya i got all tr coolers too. have not got many of there fans yet but there probably good too. the artic p120 are sus thow but looks like they have 5 pack of max now so maybe they fix there problem... but artic was mostly a cheaper company well tr was at the top now make cheaper stuff🤔

ya let me guess 3000 rpm fans? eh

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

were you the guy that would post all the time about there coolers?

Yup.

anyway they were good coolers

Indeed, I have many different models from them, 13 all together I think..

Superfan 😄

ya let me guess 3000 rpm fans? eh

Nope, just regular 2000 RPM stuff right now. But I do have 3000 RPM fans, enough to stuff a case or two.. and enough 120x38s to stuff a Meshify C.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Yup.

Indeed, I have many different models from them, 13 all together I think..

Superfan 😄

Nope, just regular 2000 RPM stuff right now. But I do have 3000 RPM fans, enough to stuff a case or two.. and enough 120x38s to stuff a Meshify C.

ya my dad gave me his 120 ultra exstream cooler has a 1366 mount as well and the 775 witch would make it a killer 775 cooler. but i looked around and found a noctura 775 mount from my d15 i think also has one same with am3. but i want to water cool thow pcs when it come time. posably the cheap swiftech water cooling kit killed tr🤔🤷‍♂️ or maybe it was the low power 6600k thow the 7700k was a beast to cool..

ya no 30mm fans or 38mm but i do have 45mm and 65mm rads thow and gentle typhoons 👌

Edited by thrasher_565

Okay just an update.
I put in a Thermalright Peerless assasin after returning the cooler i had.

So far, it seems quite a bit better.

Idles are in the area of 40-50. Though sadly it does seem to thermal throttle almost immediately after running cinebench, where as before with the water cooler it basically never throttled and if it did, it didnt do so until after a good 10 minutes, but i guess that's just the difference between Watercooling and air cooling. Still, even when it does thermal throttle, it only loses 0.2ghz on the P cores so its not like its throttling all the way down, even when running at 100%. I also installed a contact frame.

Unforunately, somehow, while replacing the cooler my motherboard decided now was a good time to give up the ghost, and the top PCIE slot stopped detecting my gpu (still detected in other slots, just not the top one, so pretty sure its the motherboard) So yay for me, gonna have to get that sorted now too. So until that's sorted i wont be able to tell how it performs while gaming or using tasks that need the GPU. Wew.

Thermalright Peerless assasin is making a I5-13600k throttle? thats strange 

6 hours ago, NorKris said:

Thermalright Peerless assasin is making a I5-13600k throttle? thats strange 

Should it not be throttling? I thought it was fairly normal when running a benchmark like cinebench.

Its throttling almost immediately in cinebench, at about 180-200ish watts of CPU package power. I have a contact frame on, and i used a rather generous amount of thermal paste.

31 minutes ago, Vennaya said:

and i used a rather generous amount of thermal paste.

That is probably your problem. Regardless of what Steve says, too much will act as an insulator.

19 minutes ago, freeagent said:

That is probably your problem. Regardless of what Steve says, too much will act as an insulator.

It really wasn't THAT much.

It was maybe....two "peas" worth, if that makes sense. My reasoning was that with a single "pea" in the middle, when i took the old cpu cooler off, there was some obvious spots where the paste was thinner than it needed to be, because i could see metal underneath in a few small areas.

I technically only have one fan attached though to the peerless assasin. Would that make a difference?

The second one is being used as a case fan, mounted within an inch of the heatsink, rather than directly attached to it.

Based on what i could look up, the idle temps are very similar to what others have reported, maybe 5 degrees higher at most, but thats likely within the margin of error of ambient temp and humidity and such, yea?