Paying for Cloud Storage is Stupid

7 minutes ago, darknessblade said:

I hope they make a version with 12+ Sata M.2 slots. then you can have tons of storage.

and power it with what?  The whole thing is powered by a 12v 2A adapter ... that's 24w ... assuming 90% efficiency, you're looking at 22w or so available for everything.  The rockchip and the ddr4 memory probably consume 4w so you're left with 16-18w for everything.   That's why they made it with 4 m.2 connectors, because it guarantees only 3.3v power is required, and most m.2 drives consume less than 5w and that's only when writing intensively.  For sata, they would need to add a stronger 12v to 5v converter (they already have one for the usb ports)

Another negative for these things versus a cheap refurbished system ...

if there was a case that could fit this thing and two of my 3.5 hdds it would be perfect

21 minutes ago, mariushm said:

and power it with what?  The whole thing is powered by a 12v 2A adapter ... that's 24w ... assuming 90% efficiency, you're looking at 22w or so available for everything.  The rockchip and the ddr4 memory probably consume 4w so you're left with 16-18w for everything.   That's why they made it with 4 m.2 connectors, because it guarantees only 3.3v power is required, and most m.2 drives consume less than 5w and that's only when writing intensively.  For sata, they would need to add a stronger 12v to 5v converter (they already have one for the usb ports)

Another negative for these things versus a cheap refurbished system ...

I feel like you’ve answered your own question? If they made a 12 slot SATA version, they would use a higher wattage adapter. Why assume they would keep the same one from the current 4 slot version?

20 hours ago, Elijah Horner said:

If you are tired for paying for Cloud Storage like Google Drive or ICloud? Then we found the NAS Device for you! This tiny computer is so small it can fit in your pocket and have over 30TB of SSD Storage. For under $100 you can have a powerful ARM based board to call youre own!

Buy TeamGroup MP34 4TB SSD: https://bit.ly/3ROypBM

Buy FriendlyELEC CM3588 NAS: https://lmg.gg/kgce0

How do you set up PhotoPrism and Photosync to replace your actual cloud storage? I get the NAS part but I'm not sure how to set up PhotoPrism and Photosync with the NAS.

Is it reliable to make a backup to raid with ssd when it dies instantly and with no chance to funding about it before like with HDD? Or I’m missing something?

Of course y'all post this after I bought an old PC for my NAS A DAY BEFORE!! 😂😭

I am bit of a noob at these tings but I would greatly appreciate it if some one explained something. I have not used plex before but i have streamed media over the network from an SMB share on my PC to my TV using MXplayer. 4k content has not been perfect all the time but it mostly worked. 

Is there a difference in processor load / method when using something like a player on a tv or other PC when streaming a video file via SMB share versus using Plex? If i were to use this with VLC/MX player would I have the same problem at LTT when why tried to use Plex for 4K video?

38 minutes ago, Gabriel Comsa said:

I am bit of a noob at these tings but I would greatly appreciate it if some one explained something. I have not used plex before but i have streamed media over the network from an SMB share on my PC to my TV using MXplayer. 4k content has not been perfect all the time but it mostly worked. 

Is there a difference in processor load / method when using something like a player on a tv or other PC when streaming a video file via SMB share versus using Plex? If i were to use this with VLC/MX player would I have the same problem at LTT when why tried to use Plex for 4K video?

If you put a movie on this device and load up a media player to play it from said device it could struggle to do so. But if you had your computer or another device dedicated to being your streaming server then that device is doing the heavy lifting of the transcoding the NAS job is just to send the data over to it

4 hours ago, Sunoo said:

I can find nothing to back up this claim.

Their website seems to have been working as recently as a few days ago. Seems more likely the site broke under the load of LTT viewers, and will be back up shortly.

Not only did the company go under last year, but also as I've already stated all of their NOS is being sold exclusively on Amazon & AliExpress by WayPonDEV. If you don't believe me that's on you, but there has been no online presence & storefront since last year.

3 hours ago, kaylexmorgana said:

Yes... FriendlyELEC went under last year, and now all of their NOS products are being sold exclusively on Amazon & AliExpress under the brand WayPonDEV.

Edited by SansVarnic
Merged comments, Please use multi-quote.

2 minutes ago, AndrewBean90 said:

Yes... FriendlyELEC went under last year, and now all of their NOS products are being sold exclusively on Amazon & AliExpress under the brand WayPonDEV.

You should have no problem pointing to literally anything saying that then? Their website seems to be working again now, and it sure looks like I’d be able to check out there if I wanted to.

And I even searched again, still not coming up with anything saying they’ve closed down.

2 minutes ago, Sunoo said:

You should have no problem pointing to literally anything saying that then? Their website seems to be working again now, and it sure looks like I’d be able to check out there if I wanted to.

And I even searched again, still not coming up with anything saying they’ve closed down.

Their website doesn't remotely work, and the reason why is because they went under. A quick Google search goes a long way.

4 minutes ago, AndrewBean90 said:

Their website doesn't remotely work, and the reason why is because they went under. A quick Google search goes a long way.

I've searched Google, I've searched Reddit, but cannot find a single person (other than you) claiming the company shut down.

The website is working for me, but in the off chance it still isn't for you, here is proof it was online as recently as the 5th: https://web.archive.org/web/20240305144049/https://www.friendlyelec.com/

Is there is a step by step guide for this ? I am heavily invested in the raspberry pi eco system, I would like to see the entire step before using rockpi CM. If this were to be available in raspberrypi cm 4, it would've been much better

11 hours ago, Sunoo said:

I feel like you’ve answered your own question? If they made a 12 slot SATA version, they would use a higher wattage adapter. Why assume they would keep the same one from the current 4 slot version?

I'm probably missing something there, but... That actually ties is to a question I had watching Linus mention one could just slap a M2-to-SATA card to go for a HDD-based system.

Don't you need discrete data & power connections for a SATA drive? How would you connect them to power when all you have is the barrel jack ?

I've been considering homebrewing a system to replace my prebuilt Asustor (who's a bit underspecced for the loads I found myself giving it, those 2 GB of soldered memory are consistently above 80% use) and this solution definitely caught my eye.

14 hours ago, CyberneticTitan said:

For those interested in M.2 to SATA, you can do better than JMB585 with Asmedia ASM1166 which has 6 ports via Gen 3x2, so you can get up to 24 drives with this!

link?

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

13 hours ago, mariushm said:

e rockchip and the ddr4 memory probably consume 4w so you're left with 16-18w for everything. 

i went digging for power draw figures on the rockchip, and the best i can find is a 12W TDP, so depending on how much it has to work you might have a whole lot less.

Had a bunch of issues with OMV, including not being able to log in anymore. The only thing i found online was setting it up newly. After i did that it happend again after 3 Months i went on their forum and asked there, where i got the same response to "just" set it up new. That was 3 Years ago though, so it could have been fixed

1 hour ago, CyberneticTitan said:

thank you

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

3 hours ago, Jannek said:

Had a bunch of issues with OMV, including not being able to log in anymore. The only thing i found online was setting it up newly. After i did that it happend again after 3 Months i went on their forum and asked there, where i got the same response to "just" set it up new. That was 3 Years ago though, so it could have been fixed

if you ssh in you can just run omv-firstaid and basically fix anything. That shouldn’t be needed though if you didn’t edit config files manually 

On 3/30/2024 at 11:37 AM, kaylexmorgana said:

you said 1080p was good on 2 pc's fine but 4k was bad. Was that 4k on 2 computers? Will 4k streaming be fine if it is just used by one device?

it was on one device

On 3/29/2024 at 6:54 PM, Elijah Horner said:

If you are tired for paying for Cloud Storage like Google Drive or ICloud? Then we found the NAS Device for you! This tiny computer is so small it can fit in your pocket and have over 30TB of SSD Storage. For under $100 you can have a powerful ARM based board to call youre own!

Buy TeamGroup MP34 4TB SSD: https://bit.ly/3ROypBM

Buy FriendlyELEC CM3588 NAS: https://lmg.gg/kgce0

@Elijah Hornerit’s me again remember from the discord server and your stream I’m back and just in case here’s a helpful link for ya https://www.indeed.com/

Really surprised no one mentioned Immich that is a literal drop-in replacement to Google Photos, with all bells and whistles (except OCR for now) of AI, object, scene, person recognition, and they have their own FREE app that works great by syncing up new photos/videos instantly.

Hopefully the next cheap NAS video it can be at the spotlight.

Workstation:  7900x @ 5.73Ghz || Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX || Shapphire 7900XTX Pulse || 2x 32GB Geil RGB DDR5-6400 @ 6400 CL32 || XPG Power Reactor 850w @240V || Thermalright PS120SE

Server (Unraid): HP EliteDesk 800 G1 || i7 4770 @ Stock || 4x8GB DDR3 Crucial 1600Mhz

Server (Debian Lite x64): Raspberry 4b 8GB w/ Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB XC V30 A2 SD Card