Paying for Cloud Storage is Stupid

If you are tired for paying for Cloud Storage like Google Drive or ICloud? Then we found the NAS Device for you! This tiny computer is so small it can fit in your pocket and have over 30TB of SSD Storage. For under $100 you can have a powerful ARM based board to call youre own!

Buy TeamGroup MP34 4TB SSD: https://bit.ly/3ROypBM

Buy FriendlyELEC CM3588 NAS: https://lmg.gg/kgce0

Do you have any updates on the NAS software you invested in? I'm really looking forward to it! I would like to switch to a ZFS sytem from Unraid. I have been looking at TrueNAS, but I would like to wait for your software before making a decision, since doing the migration is no fun.

1 minute ago, Maverik5124 said:

Do you have any updates on the NAS software you invested in? I'm really looking forward to it! I would like to switch to a ZFS sytem from Unraid. I have been looking at TrueNAS, but I would like to wait for your software before making a decision, since doing the migration is no fun.

The only Update I heard recently was Linus was asking to get pics from the devs to hopefully show on WAN show at some time, That was like 1 month ago tho so not sure

2 minutes ago, Elijah Horner said:

It looks like we did..... Sowwy 👉👈

Just give it some time for the initial rush to calm down lol

But I want it now!!!

Condolences to their IT guy this weekend.

Great video dude!

For those interested in M.2 to SATA, you can do better than JMB585 with Asmedia ASM1166 which has 6 ports via Gen 3x2, so you can get up to 24 drives with this!

Great video!

Best thing is, that there are so many different choices for NAS out there. My first one was a Synology DS212j, which is a cheap, old, little unit that I bought used off of eBay together with two 1TB WD Red hard drives for basically nothing. For basic storage of important data it's a perfect solution and thanks to the excellent software support from Synology it's easy to set up and run for basically ever.

impressive little thing, however i do wish it had a tad more cpu horsepower

if they ever release a "possessor module" with a rk3399 it'd be perfect

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

Did anyone else notice that the video links to a company website that no longer exists, and the product is being sold exclusively on Amazon & AliExpress for over $200 under the brand WayPonDEV? I thought Linus was better than this... Turns out I was wrong. Talk about a massive scam. For reference FriendlyELEC no longer exists, and went under last year.

I pay £25/month for Google Workspace as I need to use a custom domain. This gets me 2TB. I had to downgrade as Google upped their Workspace pricing to £100/month for 20TB. I had to move 20TB to a Hetzner 20TB StorageBox for $40/month.

13 minutes ago, mahyar said:

impressive little thing, however i do wish it had a tad more cpu horsepower

if they ever release a "possessor module" with a rk3399 it'd be perfect

Isn't rk3588 more powerful than rk3399?, i think you confused it with 3288 which is more low power oriented soc

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

I don't see the value of these.

It's 95$  to $160, plus spend another 10-20$ on a wallwart adapter to power it with 12v 2A ...

You can get a refurbished small form factor PC for $50-60. Add hard drives and you're done.

For example $59 for  :  Refurbished: Dell OptiPlex 3050 SFF i3-6100 Dual Core 3.70 GHz 16GB 256GB SATA/SSD Desktop Condition: Excellent - Newegg.com

You have a reasonable cpu, you have 16 GB of ram, a boot drive, the motherboard has 2 SATA ports (in the SFF version, 4 in regular version) and 2 low profile pci-e slots to add another sata controller or m.2 to pci-e cards...

On 3/29/2024 at 6:54 PM, Elijah Horner said:

FriendlyELEC CM3588 NAS

Link is broken or site is down.

Edit. Never mind, just very slow to load.

Screenshot2024-03-30202812.thumb.jpg.6cb9177b6a3bbd36a71b2b4ba06a160e.jpg

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, Elijah Horner said:

It looks like we did..... Sowwy 👉👈

Use it as sales pitch to potential ad customers:

We overloaded n websites/shop! Advertise with us now.

People never go out of business.

you said 1080p was good on 2 pc's fine but 4k was bad. Was that 4k on 2 computers? Will 4k streaming be fine if it is just used by one device?

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

Would this work for a NAS + Pi-hole combo or is it too much to ask from this poor computer?

1 hour ago, AndrewBean90 said:

For reference FriendlyELEC no longer exists, and went under last year.

I can find nothing to back up this claim.

Their website seems to have been working as recently as a few days ago. Seems more likely the site broke under the load of LTT viewers, and will be back up shortly.

Have some issues understanding something. It's 95$ for just the cpu right ? You need to add 35$ for getting the board as well ?

very interstending though ? I was looking for something to put ESXi (but just discovered that it is not free anymore, so it's going to be Proxmox instead), to run PFSense, Samba and Apache in each virtual machine. This might actually be it ! 
missing just the case !

48 minutes ago, mariushm said:

I don't see the value of these.

It's 95$  to $160, plus spend another 10-20$ on a wallwart adapter to power it with 12v 2A ...

You can get a refurbished small form factor PC for $50-60. Add hard drives and you're done.

For example $59 for  :  Refurbished: Dell OptiPlex 3050 SFF i3-6100 Dual Core 3.70 GHz 16GB 256GB SATA/SSD Desktop Condition: Excellent - Newegg.com

You have a reasonable cpu, you have 16 GB of ram, a boot drive, the motherboard has 2 SATA ports (in the SFF version, 4 in regular version) and 2 low profile pci-e slots to add another sata controller or m.2 to pci-e cards...

Well for one thing you sometimes have to deal with Dell proprietary nonsense. And these might not be the most power efficient units. Considering the explosion of miniPCs now and mobos I think the better option is to get an N100 on aliexpress or eBay. Asrock has a solid N100 board (they have two one uses a DC power jack which isn't ideal powering the HDDs but there's another one that does ATX power) for less than $200. Options like those end up being more power efficient and with the newer Intel they can be more efficient at transcoding if you want to use it for Plex. 

So do I cancel my UGREEN DXP4800 backing and get this instead? Seems like much better value (and possibly better software support)

I hope they make a version with 12+ Sata M.2 slots. then you can have tons of storage.

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

@Hark Depends. You want just a SMB share? Not the best value.

You can take value out of the additional neat features? Keep the preorder.

For software: All of the review units had the beta software and it is all changing. To provide one example SSH was enabled by default. Now it is disabled by default.

Yesterday or so they dropped the latest update delivering on their Docker promise: As such Plex and Jellyfin can be installed.

image.thumb.png.8412d8c8977eb770123e53624c9240cf.png

People never go out of business.

1 hour ago, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

Use it as sales pitch to potential ad customers:

We overloaded n websites/shop! Advertise with us now.

Did you tell them they'd get swamped? I'm concerned they'll go out of stock for months 😕

31 minutes ago, Hark said:

So do I cancel my UGREEN DXP4800 backing and get this instead? Seems like much better value (and possibly better software support)

I mean right now with the kickstarter the deals are pretty good for the ugreen units and the hardware is better. From some of the reviews I've seen the big downside was mainly because of their early software that is still a work in progrees. But from what I've seen in breakdowns like hardware Haven's you can open it up and with some bios tweaks then install truenas on it. I might get a ugreen unit myself and do that. And obviously with a unit like that you get more storage capacity