Paying for Cloud Storage is Stupid

Anyone have a good solution for powering 4x3.5" HDDs to use on one of these boards? I tried using this along with a 4x splitter but I don't think it provided enough current for all the drives at startup. I usually only got 2/4 drives to show up in OMV (got 3 once) with that setup. I tried connecting the drives to my desktop PSU and turning that PC on and all 4 drives showed up in OMV right away

What is the advantage of running one of these instead of something like the BKHD Intel N5105 NAS Motherboard? It's an Intel CPU, so you can run Windows on it if you're a hard core windows user and if not, it'll run almost any version of Linux you can throw at it instead of a specific version for ARM cpus.

1 hour ago, zushiba said:

What is the advantage of running one of these instead of something like the BKHD Intel N5105 NAS Motherboard?

Power consumption, I'd wagger, especially if run with a full NVMe array as it is intended.

Electricity is not cheap in a lot of countries, and if the intended usage is just to host a OMV/TrueNAS machine, it is enough.

I'm just wondering how I would go about installing OpenMediaVault with just a USB. Do I have to use an SD card? Most of what I know about tech I've learned from the LTT but when I got to the part with the huge google drive folder I am unsure how to proceed. Which of all the files in there do I need to install OMV on the device?

On 4/18/2024 at 8:33 AM, TheHawzzy said:

I'm just wondering how I would go about installing OpenMediaVault with just a USB. Do I have to use an SD card? Most of what I know about tech I've learned from the LTT but when I got to the part with the huge google drive folder I am unsure how to proceed. Which of all the files in there do I need to install OMV on the device?

The documentation on FriendlyELEC site has descriptions and instructions on how to do the install several different ways, and what file you will need to complete that install
https://wiki.friendlyelec.com/wiki/index.php/CM3588

On 3/31/2024 at 9:33 AM, sailboatking said:

How do you set up PhotoPrism and Photosync to replace your actual cloud storage? I get the NAS part but I'm not sure how to set up PhotoPrism and Photosync with the NAS.

Did you get a reply to this @sailboatking?
I have been tinkering with OMV on an old repurposed desktop and have the NAS side of things pretty well sorted. I haven't been able to find much info on the PhotoPrism/Photosync side of this use case though and have managed to get myself totally ballsed up.

One online tutorial has me paying for a domain and using cloudflare which is adding more layers of complication to this than I think I am qualified to play with.