Everyone Needs This and it’s under $10 - Handy Tech Under $100

JordB

Handy tech is back to protect your batteries, tame Windows volume control, avoid dangerous USB ports, and cut down on the environmental impact of PC repair.

Buy a Charge-O-Matic: https://geni.us/DjqV
Check out Deej on GitHub: https://lmg.gg/v8TYM
Buy Altoids Mints: https://geni.us/oOZDXC

Buy Prusament PLA Prusa Galaxy Black 1KG: https://lmg.gg/NlhQu
Check out the USBvalve on GitHub: https://lmg.gg/8ilyf
Buy a CAGIWIRU Electronic Air Duster: https://geni.us/m8LzrF

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

LTT Deej Enclosure - Top.STL LTT Deej Enclosure - Bottom.STL

Why not just use a smart plug?

Are there any professionally made volume mixers like the Deej? Surely that's such an obvious use case there must be? I mean audio equpitment sells for $1000s so some company must have made one no?

38 minutes ago, GodAtum said:

Why not just use a smart plug?

because a smart plug is not "old people" friendly to configure stuff like this.

the timer plug thing could save a lot of E-bike batteries from going potato in winter. the idle draw on those batteries (there's a BMS running, usually with some minor level of smarts) will drain them over the course of a few months, especially if in a cold garage. at work we get a big inrush of batteries in spring from owners who forgot about their battery over the winter, and found that the range on their bike now says a solid zero.

having that said - i would really prefer E-bike manufacturers just designed their chargers with a "storage" mode on it. i've seen one manufacturer do that and it's brilliant... you put it on storage mode, plug in the charger, and the charger will keep it at a safe cell voltage for long term storage.

41 minutes ago, GodAtum said:

Are there any professionally made volume mixers like the Deej? Surely that's such an obvious use case there must be? I mean audio equpitment sells for $1000s so some company must have made one no?

if i recall the GoXLR could do that, but TCHelicon seems to have ditched that product line like a brick.

and unfortunately the majority of pro stuff is aimed at apple users.

there might be more, but i'm not aware of them.

on the topic of being aware.. i need this Deej thing yesterday, dont mind me as i go to buy some sliders 😛

Techncially under $10 is under $100 but why???

Everyone Needs This and it’s Under $10 - Handy Tech Under $100

People never go out of business.

14 minutes ago, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

It's the name of a long-standing series on the channel

Why carry around a USBvalve when you can just have a power-only USB cable that simply has the data pins disconnected? I mean, it is definitely not stupid, cool piece of tech, but if you're at a point where you carry something like this, a simple adapter which will break the connection for the data pins sounds like a much simpler solution to me. Or am I missing something?

Really love that video, would like to see more videos with showing awesome open source (hardware) projects!

14 minutes ago, KristN said:

Why carry around a USBvalve when you can just have a power-only USB cable that simply has the data pins disconnected? I mean, it is definitely not stupid, cool piece of tech, but if you're at a point where you carry something like this, a simple adapter which will break the connection for the data pins sounds like a much simpler solution to me. Or am I missing something?

There's still the possibility of an evil port which sends down more than the standard 5V and could damage your device. With the USBvalve, only that small device would blow up... better than an expensive laptop.

(There might be also the thing you're talking about with disconnected data lines but with over-voltage protection (I didn't look if that's a thing you can buy) and it would have to be smart cause USB-PD allows for higher voltages when negotiated so it has to account for that)

Does the USBvalve also protect the host against USB killers?

In the video top right info section says 

OLED screen - 1.50 USD

Where can I get one? Can anyone help me with the link for that or similar??

Screenshot_2024-03-20-02-43-09-534_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

by the by, the electronic air duster linked is OOS, but there are hundreds of listings with the exact same thing, some of them hilariously promising RPM up to 190k

5 hours ago, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

Reviving a series its been a year since last EP, actually before that was like 4 years.

Gees I am old I remember those old ones glad to see LMG keeping up on this series.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

3 hours ago, Tejusr said:

Where can I get one? Can anyone help me with the link for that or similar??

adafruit, is your friend here.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

8 minutes ago, sub68 said:

adafruit, is your friend here.

Just looked it up now, they don't sell a bare 128x64 oled anymore and the only one available rn is the one with qt connector at $17 so not that cheap compared to the standard "bare" one you find on AliExpress

Same goes for sparkfun though it's a bit cheaper at $10

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

Where to get that USB-A expansion board for Pi Pico?

they do make wifi plug to do timer etc.

but it general for what ever reason only seems to use 2.4ghz with most i seen sold...

they are a pain to set up to.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

The Deej is probably the most interesting one for me.

If I wanted to do it though, I'd want a proper looking enclosure (like your 3D printed one or better), however, I have zero experience in 3D printing and don't know of any businesses near me that would provide that service.

Additionally, there's some work involved (however simple) with actually setting up the Arduino and getting it to work.

Does anyone know of any product like this that are just made to order? I know GoXLR is a thing but the mini ones are selling for $300-400 AUD on Amazon. Would prefer something half that cost at most.

I have been looking for a product like DEEJ for years now, will 100% make my own.

SO thank you for finding it Jordan.

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

what is the actual size of that part? scaled to big so just confirming it in my software.

20 hours ago, GodAtum said:

A buddy and I are actually working on just that.
We have seen a couple of other similar ones from PCpanel and "The midi maker", but we couldn't find one with sliders that just work like deej. We also use apps like Voicemeeter to control the volume on our computer, so we made our own software to let the app work with voicemeeter.

The software we have made for it is also deej compatible, so if anyone wants to make a deej or have one already you can set it up for deej following instructions from here

Sorry for the self-promotion here, just wanted to share our project:)

16 hours ago, darknessblade said:

I have been looking for a product like DEEJ for years now, will 100% make my own.

SO thank you for finding it Jordan.

It's the same for me. It seems such an obvious device to make, but I was unable to find ANY attempts of creating a thing like this for years. And I never got to designing it myself.

This is the kind of LTT content I enjoy, not some yet-another-over-the-top-build.

11 hours ago, Ananords said:

A buddy and I are actually working on just that.
We have seen a couple of other similar ones from PCpanel and "The midi maker", but we couldn't find one with sliders that just work like deej. We also use apps like Voicemeeter to control the volume on our computer, so we made our own software to let the app work with voicemeeter.

The software we have made for it is also deej compatible, so if anyone wants to make a deej or have one already you can set it up for deej following instructions from here

Sorry for the self-promotion here, just wanted to share our project:)

Do you have the ETA? Or a customizable FOSS Linux driver in mind (the linked one is closed-source and Windows-only)? I'm probably going to make and configure a deej myself, but this might become an interesting alternative.

Anyone have links for getting those sliders that are shown in the video ? Maybe Aliexpress or something ?

Will you PLEASE provide the full bill of materials for the 3D printed version of it? I really want to make EXACTLY what you have there, but you didn't provide a full list of what you used.