How is it that not more people switch to Linux?

Long story short, I had to install Windows on my really powerful laptop for an Unreal Engine project and boy oh boy, I was STUNNED just by how bad Windows has become.

It's slow, ads everywhere, useless features that are there just for data gathering, bugs left and right.

Linux can play 99% of games these days. Is Val and CoD or Adobe seriously that important to you guys that you put up with all the garbage that comes with Windows? I'm seriously astounded.

Maybe it's because the change was gradual for you but seriously, as someone who hasn't' really used Windows in 6 years coming back was an absolute shock to me.

I can understand using Windows for work, but If I had to use it, I would strictly do it for work and switch back to my Linux partition instantly when Windows was not needed.

To me, the concept of "fighting with your system" has been absolutely reversed in the time I was gone. It's absolute insanity.

Asus Zephurs Duo 2023:

CPU: 7945HX

GPU: 4090M

Because not everything works on Linux or it works better on Windows than on Linux or because people have issues on Linux they don't know how to solve and don't have time or energy or both to deal with it and learn new OS so that they can do what can they do right now without the hassle. 

Most people, like me, stick with Windows because it's what we know. We grew up with it so we know how to use it. Also, most modern games lack Linux support, especially AAA games. 

I've dealt with a lot of toys Windows and iterations of 'nix to a degree. I can tell you, there's not much wrong with using 'nix if all you do is literally turning your screen on to come to this page and post these posts lol.

For sober fact, no 'nix OS will ever ask you to shill cash on a specific time or stop updating itself out of the blue, or rather, hit you with pointless updates.

Linux distros are far easier going. You just need some terminal magic sometimes.

On top of my head printers and music toys don't play nice.

This is 2018 era Mint btw, literally the easiest cake. There are better distros now... in every way. I'd expect it wouldn't be long before we get more people switch to Linux if Microsoft continues the monopoly of having the most expensive operating systems.

7 minutes ago, Motifator said:

I've dealt with a lot of toys Windows and iterations of 'nix to a degree. I can tell you, there's not much wrong with using 'nix if all you do is literally turning your screen on to come to this page and post these posts lol.

For sober fact, no 'nix OS will ever ask you to shill cash on a specific time or stop updating itself out of the blue, or rather, hit you with pointless updates.

Linux distros are far easier going. You just need some terminal magic sometimes.

On top of my head printers and music toys don't play nice.

This is 2018 era Mint btw, literally the easiest cake. There are better distros now... in every way. I'd expect it wouldn't be long before we get more people switch to Linux if Microsoft continues the monopoly of having the most expensive operating systems.

Printers, on Nobara and HP at least, just work. You install the system and start printing.

Also gaming is excellent on Linux these days. I have 500+ games on Steam and they just work. My whole EGS Library also works.

In general, I think Microsoft has become extremely comfortable with their monopoly and it's sad to see people using this degraded Microsoft freeware because of misconceptions.

Asus Zephurs Duo 2023:

Once all my peripherals are just plug and play and it fits my use case, I’ll use it. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

10 minutes ago, Erioch said:

Why?  Mostly because Linux evangelists are awful. 

So are Windows and MacOS evangelists.  If you're avoiding trying something just because someone else is telling you its the best thing sinced sliced bread, the problem is more you than them.

Make your own judgement call from experience, not gut reactions.

I think the bigger problem is most people want an OS that is one size fits all, and arguably even Windows isn't that, its just the closest we have to that.  So people choose Windows as they don't want to have to switch OS to do different things.

Also given people are used to using their smartphone for some things, a PC for others, they REALLY don't fancy having a third option of choosing which OS on their PC is the best for the job they want to do.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

So are Windows and MacOS evangelists. 

I completely agree but I almost never see people evangelizing for Windows or MacOS (sometimes MacOS but it's usually sarcastic).

And here's the thing, I do use Linux but I would never tell others that they should.  I don't use MacOS because it makes me stabby.

One of these again...

Windows wise, I don't see a single add ever, you can configure UI with one of those third party tools easily that go beyond default customizations. 

But to answer the question, in a understandable way... it's because it's dogshit still in many ways UI/UX wise and general out of the box usability and look and feel vs Windows for general folk. Even those slightly tech savy. People today get baffeled with a command console in a game if it has, you expect them for OS yet they don't understand folder structure.

Fragmentation of distros is a huge issue too. Also software support is not there, programs, drivers for stuff and games. 99% games my ass, more like the other way around.

Linux has still a long way to go so it can be a dumb proof Windows alternative let alone replacement, not until everything gets in line and with dev support. Would need a proper good distro.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

9 minutes ago, Erioch said:

I don't use MacOS because it makes me stabby.

I have an M1 Macbook Pro, the first Mac I've ever bought (but I had used MacOS in the 90s).

Seemed a good idea due to the insane battery life, sound quality and darn that screen.  But the OS, yes, it makes me incredibly stabby.  I don't get how anyone can say its easier to use, it feels so incredibly dated, barely an improvement on the 90s.  They hide so much of the modern UI niceties behind obscure keyboard shortcuts you have to learn, rather than having it actually in the UI.  That's IF they even support it at all.

I'm definitely cautious of recommending Linux, given I use Fedora myself I don't really know what distro is best for a smooth experience and not having upgrade breaking issues.  I switched my mother to Fedora too purely as I can upgrade first, identify any issues, figure how to fix them THEN upgrade her box.

6 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

But to answer the question, in a understandable way... it's because it's dogshit still in many ways UI/UX wise and general out of the box usability and look and feel vs Windows for general folk.

That's equally true moving from one version of Windows to another.  Windows 11 especially is an awful experience after getting used to Windows 10.  Just changing the icon scheme confuses most users, they made muscle memory breaking changes.

If anything, moving to KDE Plasma from Windows 7 was very similar and the UI is actually better.  A lot of things Windows 10 does, KDE Plasma had first.  So your argument is more about people trying "the wrong" distro, or at least the wrong desktop environment, which granted is an issue.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

36 minutes ago, CosmicEmotion said:

Long story short, I had to install Windows on my really powerful laptop for an Unreal Engine project and boy oh boy, I was STUNNED just by how bad Windows has become.

It's slow, ads everywhere, useless features that are there just for data gathering, bugs left and right.

Linux can play 99% of games these days. Is Val and CoD or Adobe seriously that important to you guys that you put up with all the garbage that comes with Windows? I'm seriously astounded.

Maybe it's because the change was gradual for you but seriously, as someone who hasn't' really used Windows in 6 years coming back was an absolute shock to me.

I can understand using Windows for work, but If I had to use it, I would strictly do it for work and switch back to my Linux partition instantly when Windows was not needed.

To me, the concept of "fighting with your system" has been absolutely reversed in the time I was gone. It's absolute insanity.

I use Windows simply for the reason that I know how to use it, and everything I need works on it (unlike on linux).
I rarely encounter bugs (very much unlike linux) and I haven't seen a single ad anywhere.

And I like being able to install pretty much whatever I want without having to mess with commands.

Sure, Windows is a piece of junk sometimes, but currently, Linux is worse.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

36 minutes ago, CosmicEmotion said:

Because this is not the experience I or many others have. Frankly, I have to assume its user error at this point, I just don't get how someone can have this experience. 

I use linux in my laptops and windows for my main PC. 

I prefer linux because like you said, it's lightweight compared to windows that's filled with ads and data gathering crap.

Main reason I use windows is the simplicity when I am trying to get heavy work done as well as it's easy integration with xbox so I can play with my friends. 

I'm usually as lost as you are

7 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

One of these again...

Windows wise, I don't see a single add ever, you can configure UI with one of those third party tools easily that go beyond default customizations. 

But to answer the question, in a understandable way... it's because it's dogshit still in many ways UI/UX wise and general out of the box usability and look and feel vs Windows for general folk. Even those slightly tech savy. People today get baffeled with a command console in a game if it has, you expect them for OS yet they don't understand folder structure.

Fragmentation of distros is a huge issue too. Also software support is not there, programs, drivers for stuff and games. 99% games my ass, more like the other way around.

Linux has still a long way to go so it can be a dumb proof Windows alternative let alone replacement, not until everything gets in line and with dev support. Would need a proper good distro.

Linux can play more than 41,000 games based on ProtonDB with its 6 year old reports which means even more should be playable right now.

Also Linux doesn't need terminal to be used as long as you use a well known distro.

Fighting with my system not to have ads or data gathering is insane to me. That's why I made this post. I think other people have answered though and I agree, that familiarity is the main, perhaps the only, thing Windows offers these days.

I just started using PCs when Windows was actually an OS and not a promotional, money-centered platform.

Asus Zephurs Duo 2023:

7 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

That's equally true moving from one version of Windows to another.  Windows 11 especially is an awful experience after getting used to Windows 10.  Just changing the icon scheme confuses most users, they made muscle memory breaking changes.

If anything, moving to KDE Plasma from Windows 7 was very similar and the UI is actually better.  A lot of things Windows 10 does, KDE Plasma had first.  So your argument is more about people trying "the wrong" distro, or at least the wrong desktop environment, which granted is an issue.

But it's not, not that much really. 7 to 8 was the worst ever. 10 was better, to me 11 is around same to me, some things are better with modern settings finally improving and certain context menus. Maybe I adapt fast, though I do use new versions from start. But yes some things like tray settings that feel like a phone with more clicks is bad, but overall I prefer 11 over 10. Though sure both have odd design choices, like removed functionality or customization limits for no reason. 

Thing is, any distro can pose issues, along with needed config setup. Thus one of the problems that is fragmentation that doesn't help Linux for mainstream.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

But it's not, not that much really. 7 to 8 was the worst ever. 10 was better, to me 11 is around same to me, some things are better with modern settings finally improving and certain context menus. Maybe I adapt fast, though I do use new versions from start. But yes some things like tray settings that feel like a phone with more clicks is bad, but overall I prefer 11 over 10. Though sure both have odd design choices, like removed functionality or customization limits for no reason. 

Thing is, any distro can pose issues, along with needed config setup. Thus one of the problems that is fragmentation that doesn't help Linux for mainstream.

The biggest issue with 11 is the crazy amount of bloat and spyware, not that it feels different. Also the context menus absolutely suck, I nearly always had to click more options, to find what I was looking for

13 minutes ago, CosmicEmotion said:

familiarity is the main, perhaps the only, thing Windows offers these days.

Definitely not the only thing, I guarantee you.

Software support is another big point for Windows, a lot of programs are compatible with it.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

14 minutes ago, CosmicEmotion said:

Linux can play more than 41,000 games based on ProtonDB with its 6 year old reports which means even more should be playable right now.

That's cool and all but that's like trying to convince someone to buy PC instead of PlayStation because PC has many more games but the person just wants to play Bloodborne

6 minutes ago, MiszS said:

The biggest issue with 11 is the crazy amount of bloat and spyware, not that it feels different. Also the context menus absolutely suck, I nearly always had to click more options, to find what I was looking for

It literally is a thing versions behind so. I have no bloat as some prebuild, really some MS stuff that I occasionally use is there I keep. Can't say that's bloat really. 

Context menu for some basics that are there is fine for me, the old one you just shift click it. Can make it default with third party tools.

3 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

It literally is a thing versions behind so. I have no bloat as some prebuild, really some MS stuff that I occasionally use is there I keep. Can't say that's bloat really. 

Context menu for some basics that are there is fine for me, the old one you just shift click it. Can make it default with third party tools.

By bloat I mean that it's somehow using 3.5GB of ram (after debloating), while linux mint uses 1200MB max. Also yeah you can bring back the old context menu, don't even need third party tools, just registry keys

29 minutes ago, CosmicEmotion said:

Also Linux doesn't need terminal to be used as long as you use a well known distro.

Fighting with my system not to have ads or data gathering is insane to me. That's why I made this post. I think other people have answered though and I agree, that familiarity is the main, perhaps the only, thing Windows offers these days.

I just started using PCs when Windows was actually an OS and not a promotional, money-centered platform.

Meh, many games have issues, and config process is just.. not it for issues on top. 

Number of online games are just a big no.

Which well known distro that doesn't need ton of config or that software will work? Doesn't exist, some programs do not work or exist at all.

Where are you getting adds man? And familiarity is a very big deal and it's not the only, along is the software support, those two go also hand in hand that are a big block.

I don't use Windows as a store crap as you describe, I configure it easily update stuff and done.