are stock coolers that bad?

My question is , isn't stock cooler enough for adequate cooling? since the objective is to not burn up the CPU or the mobo , which a stock cooler can do pretty good job off. arent fancy fin stacks relatively un nessesary peripheral for uber cooling? Leave your comments and rants down below,

:ph34r: ninja loves fresh air.

Details separate people.

they are fine for stock speeds, tho loud at times

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

They work fine if you make sure it's seated properly and don't overclock.

They're fine and reasonably silent if you don't overclock.

i'm a potato

The stock cooler is a good cooler, considering you get it for free, if you don't overclock your system, it should serve you fine.

they are fine at the moment unless you overclock, no idea how they will be fine with devils canyon however

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

they are rubbish custom cooler like the 212 evo for an extra £25 reduces the temp of your cpu up to 20C onload and 10 C idle so yer . they are als0o extremely loud :L

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

they are rubbish custom cooler like the 212 evo for an extra £25 reduces the temp of your cpu up to 20C onload and 10 C idle so yer . they are als0o extremely loud :L

Well duh, if you compare it to aftermarket coolers. That's not what OP is asking.

Depends on which stock cooler. 

The current stock intel coolers are pretty quiet especially if you have any decent airflow.

The AMD stock coolers are quite audible. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

they're not as loud as most of these guys claim, intel stock coolers are quite quiet and can handle a medium sized overclock on a decent chip.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

as long as tou don't OC, they're just fine, i ran my 3570K pn the stock cooler for like a month till i saved enough for my dark rock

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

what the hell? where do you live that the ambient temp is like 5C?

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Well duh, if you compare it to aftermarket coolers. That's not what OP is asking.

yes but he is asking if it is adequate cooling , and the answer to that is no. sorry but they are loud , get very hot especially if the room temperature is high 23+ C . your better off with something that is not stock that is much quite and can dissipate heat into the surrounding much more effectively and has a larger surface area . 

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

They are stock.

Of course they are good, for normal use 

I like to see my Intel cooler on the shelf ready to replace my H80i if it fails (and it will one day, little piece of shit)

The Intel stock cooler on my i3 2100 was fine: the case fan and hdd in the Dell OEM POS it was in were louder than it so I never had problems with the noise of it. The stock cooler that came with my 8320 sounded like it was going to take of at stock speeds, though.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

yes but he is asking if it is adequate cooling , and the answer to that is no. sorry but they are loud , get very hot especially if the room temperature is high 23+ C . your better off with something that is not stock that is much quite and can dissipate heat into the surrounding much more effectively and has a larger surface area . 

I'm not saying you're wrong, you're just taking OP's question out of context.

Also, almost any cooler will not perform as well as it should if it's circulating warm air from the room, that's just common sense m8. Sure, aftermarket coolers will perform better under warmer circumstances, but again, you're taking OP's question out of context due to his post being more than just one question.

Stocks cooler are okay, and they get the job done. But unless you're overclocking or just want some better temperatures from your cpu. Then there's really no need to change it.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Intel's stock coolers are perfectly fine, I've had an open system with two of them running full load and I couldn't hear the coolers over the coil whine from the GPU's.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

what the hell? where do you live that the ambient temp is like 5C?

He's talking about the difference between the 212 Evo and stock cooler.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Imo stock coolers are good for basic use, no OC, no need to be quiet etc. If you compare pricing between boxed (with cooler) and tray (without cooler), the priuce for that cooler is around $10-15. 212 is at $30. Personally I buy new cpus as tray and get aftermarket.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

yeah they are ok, my server still has one, it runs pretty cool and quiet honestly

my 4770k had one on up until a few weeks ago when i fitted a h100i, and I dont even really plan to OC much (though I might)

But I played plenty of BF4 on it for hours, and the temps never got stupidly high

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

the intel one isn't to bad, but fuck me the AMD one that comes with APUs and low end FX cpus is a fucking winny little piece of shit under load.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

Like others have said if you are just gaming at stock and you don't push the vales you will be fine it will be louder and the CPU will run hotter than something like a h80 or silver arrow but its not gonna blow up or melt, if you wanna push the CPU more you will need to look at a aftermarket cooler as the stock Intel one is just not designed to deal with that type of heat output. I have a i5 4670k in a rig running at stock values, with the stock Intel cooler and it is fine.

What you gotta remember is the stock CPU cooler was "designed"  to keep the CPU under the tjmax at stock temps but K processors are open so people can push them past what they come out the factory with producing more heat than what the stock heat sync was designed to dissipate.

stock coolers are designed for plug in any kind of case without compromising space.

You can go fine with that if we are talking about a low TDP processor. Personally, I don't recomend keeping that stock coolers above 65 degrees of TDP.

The profile of stock coolings are very low and its fan too, this leaves heat above the motherboard surface so you need and additional system fan to pull that heat.

I'm using the stock cooler on an i7 3770k and it's horribly loud in my opinion. All I am doing is browsing and the cpu is running at 40-45°C (104-113°f) while making too much noise for my liking. When I am not using headphones and using my speakers to listen to music (like now, rather quiet as others are sleeping) I can hear the fan over the music which is annoying.