How does LMG/LTT contribute to charity?

Go to solution Solved by creat0r,

To summarize:

• LTT has contributed to various charities in the past (see examples posted by, for example, moderators).
  • There’s many ways to contribute besides financial donations.
  • People have different opinions on if you should openly talk about your charity contributions or not.
  • Charity, and contribution in general, is optional.
  • Some believe that you shouldn’t talk about your charity contributions openly because it makes it possible for people and organizations to misuse charity for PR, making themselves look good and guilt tripping others.
  • Some believe that you should talk about your charity contributions openly because it can normalize it and inspire others to contribute.

I was wondering if, and if so how, LMG/LTT contributes to charity?

I'm aware of...:

• That the auctions at LTX was for charity.
  • Folding@Home is for charity.

...however, both of these was money/computer resources coming from their fans, not themselves. LMG was allegedly offered to be purchased and valued at a 9 figure number. Also, Linus has enough money to go around and build tennis centers for people, both LMG as a company and Linus as a person has a lot of money.

Controversial opinion that might trigger a lot of people: I personally believe we as humans should try to leave the earth a better place than we found it, and no matter if you make $1000 USD or $10000 USD per month, I strongly believe that donating at least $1 USD per month to charity is a million times better than donating nothing. I'm a student with basically no money or income at all at the moment, but I still make sure to donate $5 USD per month to a local cat shelter, since that's a charity that personally feels important to me. Being open about which charities you donate to is not about boasting or bragging, it's about normalizing it and making it the norm.

Yvonne donated her $5000 that was for her AMD upgrade to BC Children Hospital, according to the video. But then when there are people on the Internet critisizing them for bragging about this donation, I would understand when they dont this kind of things often in public. Besides, they are not obligated to. 

Linus bought out that entire computer nerds shop which was cool.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

2 hours ago, crazzp said:

Yvonne donated her $5000 that was for her AMD upgrade to BC Children Hospital, according to the video. But then when there are people on the Internet critisizing them for bragging about this donation, I would understand when they dont this kind of things often in public.

Ah yes, the MrBeast haters.

Use your money for good, but don't you dare try to bring in additional revenue or else you're an evil person.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

5 hours ago, creat0r said:

I was wondering if, and if so how, LMG/LTT contributes to charity?

I'm aware of...:

• That the auctions at LTX was for charity.
  • Folding@Home is for charity.

...however, both of these was money/computer resources coming from their fans, not themselves. LMG was allegedly offered to be purchased and valued at a 9 figure number. Also, Linus has enough money to go around and build tennis centers for people, both LMG as a company and Linus as a person has a lot of money.

Controversial opinion that might trigger a lot of people: I personally believe we as humans should try to leave the earth a better place than we found it, and no matter if you make $1000 USD or $10000 USD per month, I strongly believe that donating at least $1 USD per month to charity is a million times better than donating nothing. I'm a student with basically no money or income at all at the moment, but I still make sure to donate $5 USD per month to a local cat shelter, since that's a charity that personally feels important to me. Being open about which charities you donate to is not about boasting or bragging, it's about normalizing it and making it the norm.

Wow... very manipulative, if anyone disagrees: they are triggered.
If they don't donate, then they aren't bad, but they are a million times worse (aka guilt-tripping).
Here is mine, without setting up any traps:
Charity will always be a band-aid solution for much larger structural/societal issues.
And there are other ways a person can make an impact.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

Linus works with Make-a-Wish, both with LMG (tours and hardware) and personally (building with a fan). In past, company has participated in several public fundraising efforts. For example planting trees with MrBeast, collecting plastic from oceans with Mark Rober and 3D printing visors for BC hospitals during COVID-19 first spring.

Monetary donations to charities are usually tax deductables, so most likely are a thing for the company also. However, since it's private company, they don't have any needs to declare such publicly.

Noting publicity about various charity efforts is Two-sided sword. On one hand your social score rises in eyes of some. But at the same time greed and jealousy will be a thing ("why them and not us"). This has been seen with any bigger giveaway done locally. It will also bring hoards of beggars around. Hence why we don't allow such on forums. It's faster and easier for Linus/LMG to coordinate with established foundation like Make-a-Wish who can vet those in need to be eligible prior to making needed connections and time/money allocations.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 minutes ago, crazzp said:

But why? You could say it's to encourage others to donate as well

Because there's nothing in it for the party that's donating besides the knowledge that they're doing something good.

If they publicize their charity work, people will say they're only doing it for clout whether that's actually the case or not.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

8 hours ago, crazzp said:

Yvonne donated her $5000 that was for her AMD upgrade to BC Children Hospital, according to the video. But then when there are people on the Internet critisizing them for bragging about this donation, I would understand when they dont this kind of things often in public. Besides, they are not obligated to. 

Happy to hear that! Yes, I understand that there will be people criticizing them for “bragging” when they publicly show that they have done something good for society. However, I disagree with this norm in society that everyone should have to hide their contributions to the world and not talk about things they are proud of, because that will be mistaken for bragging.

2 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

In order for it to be a true act of charity, the gift should remain anonymous.

I both agree and respectfully disagree with you. I’m a strong believer in “show don’t tell”, in other words, don’t talk about it, just to it (show what you mean through your actions). Action speaks louder than words. With that being said, I don’t like this norm in society that everyone should have to hide and almost be ashamed of their positive contributions to the world, because if they talk about it, it will be labeled as “bragging”. Normalizing making positive contributions to the world, even if it’s not through financial donations, will be hard unless people talk about it.

5 minutes ago, creat0r said:

I both agree and respectfully disagree with you. I’m a strong believer in “show don’t tell”, in other words, don’t talk about it, just to it (show what you mean through your actions). Action speaks louder than words. With that being said, I don’t like this norm in society that everyone should have to hide and almost be ashamed of their positive contributions to the world, because if they talk about it, it will be labeled as “bragging”. Normalizing making positive contributions to the world, even if it’s not through financial donations, will be hard unless people talk about it.

I think at the very least, the focus should be on the charity.  The story should be framed as "Charity receives generous donation" and not "So-and-so generously donates to Charity".

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

5 hours ago, Biohazard777 said:

Wow... very manipulative, if anyone disagrees: they are triggered.
If they don't donate, then they aren't bad, but they are a million times worse (aka guilt-tripping).
Here is mine, without setting up any traps:
Charity will always be a band-aid solution for much larger structural/societal issues.
And there are other ways a person can make an impact.

I stand by my decision to criticize and “guilt trip” people who don’t make positive contributions to the world. But you’re also right, I should have mentioned that economic donations is only one of many different ways to make a positive impact.  

2 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

I think at the very least, the focus should be on the charity.  The story should be framed as "Charity receives generous donation" and not "So-and-so generously donates to Charity".

I agree. Focus on the charity instead of painting the donator as a hero.

7 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

In order for it to be a true act of charity, the gift should remain anonymous.

It does make it kinda hard to lead by example. 

And who cares if a company can use charity for PR. If the DV shelters get 500,000 $ it's still money doing good. 

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

4 hours ago, creat0r said:

I stand by my decision to criticize and “guilt trip” people who don’t make positive contributions to the world. But you’re also right, I should have mentioned that economic donations is only one of many different ways to make a positive impact.  

I respectfully disagree with your idea that you need to do charity at all. The positive impact on the world is to the people I care about and while I could donate time or money to charity I never thought that it is somehow required or makes me a bad person if I don't. 

15 hours ago, creat0r said:

I stand by my decision to criticize and “guilt trip” people who don’t make positive contributions to the world.

what a terrible take. you're essentially saying that the only way to make a positive contribution to the world is to donate, specifically, money to a charity.

Guess that means that people who rely on charity to get by are massive pieces of shit who deserve to be criticized and guilt tripped. so fuck homeless people i guess...

1 minute ago, Lunar River said:

what a terrible take. you're essentially saying that the only way to make a positive contribution to the world is to donate, specifically, money to a charity.

Guess that means that people who rely on charity to get by are massive pieces of shit who deserve to be criticized and guilt tripped. so fuck homeless people i guess...

Read the rest of that message instead of only quoting one sentence out of context. If you had read the rest, you would understand why this reply from you was completely unnecessary. 

3 minutes ago, creat0r said:

Read the rest of that message instead of only quoting one sentence out of context. If you had read the rest, you would understand why this reply from you was completely unnecessary. 

except you're still saying you get to criticize and guilt trip people unless they make some kind of donation/contribution, monetary or otherwise (you can also read the second part of my post about people who rely on the charity of others to get by) that you have yet to clarify anything outside of direct monetary payments.

it very gatekeepy on your part to decide who is or isn't a good person based on where and how they contribute to society.

for example, what if someone is donating to a charity that's purpose you don't agree with? you would be surprised at how easy it is to set up a charity in a lot of countries.

Just now, Lunar River said:

except you're still saying you get to criticize and guilt trip people unless they make some kind of donation/contribution, monetary or otherwise (you can also read the second part of my post about people who rely on the charity of others to get by) that you have yet to clarify anything outside of direct monetary payments.

it very gatekeepy on your part to decide who is or isn't a good person based on where and how they contribute to society.

for example, what if someone is donating to a charity that's purpose you don't agree with? you would be surprised at how easy it is to set up a charity in a lot of countries.

I’m talking to people reading this: most likely people in well developed countries like U.S.A., countries in Northern Europe etc. I obviously don’t consider a homeless person without food and water a bad person, not even close. I believe most people on this forum have a roof over their head, and own a computer and smartphone. Acknowledge your privileges instead of putting words in my mouth and making false accusations.

I’m just saying that everyone should try to make at least a little effort to make the world a good place instead of only caring about themselves. As I clearly wrote this doesn’t mean you have to donate money. It can be helping a blind person cross the street if they need it. A slight inconvenience for you but something that makes the world a little better for everyone else. What do you want me to do, do you want me to applaud people who only cares about themselves and doesn’t give a single F about others and give them a cookie for just sitting there? Imagine if politicians thought like you do: “Nah, Russia isn’t attacking my country so what’s in it for me helping Ukraine? I’ll just sit here and do nothing, and God forbid if anyone tries to guilt trip me for it and somehow suggest I’m a bad person!”.

13 minutes ago, creat0r said:

What do you want me to do, do you want me to applaud people who only cares about themselves and doesn’t give a single F about others and give them a cookie for just sitting there? Imagine if politicians thought like you do: “Nah, Russia isn’t attacking my country so what’s in it for me helping Ukraine? I’ll just sit here and do nothing, and God forbid if anyone tries to guilt trip me for it and somehow suggest I’m a bad person!”.

what an incredible false equivalence...

i wish you the best of luck in your endeavors...

Just now, Lunar River said:

what an incredible false equivalence...

No, not at all. You’re criticizing me for saying that people who don’t make any positive contributions at all to the world should be criticized. People who makes an effort and people who don’t make an effort should be applauded the same amount by me, according to you, because if I criticize the people who don’t cares for others, I’m gatekeeping.