Thinking of dropping out of school

greenroost1445

So here's the thing, it's the end of sophomore year and I am done with school in its entirety. I don't want to go back next year and I'm sick and tired of school. I feel like the things we study are completely pointless. And what they try to integrate in it just doesn't work... Most people who graduate from my high school don't know how to do taxes, and the only thing they know how to do is take tests. I'm thinking about just going and starting a business, I've done most of my research and can't find a reason to stay in school. What do you guys think should I stay in school?

I'm a freshman. 

School is extremely useful in life. Start a business while going to school. See if it works. You need a backup plan if your idea doesn't work. Even though I'm only in high school I believe that school is extremely important and it will help you succeed in life.  

Those are my thoughts. But then again, I'm a freshman in HS.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

So here's the thing, it's the end of sophomore year and I am done with school in its entirety. I don't want to go back next year and I'm sick and tired of school. I feel like the things we study are completely pointless. And what they try to integrate in it just doesn't work... Most people who graduate from my high school don't know how to do taxes, and the only thing they know how to do is take tests. I'm thinking about just going and starting a business, I've done most of my research and can't find a reason to stay in school. What do you guys think should I stay in school?

IF you do, i will hunt you down in my tardis and breakdance your bollocks into china.

Get your ass back in school and educate yourself, you have fuck all excuse.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Starting a business with no clue seems mad :D There is so much stuff you need to know and get right. I would look for work in the line of work you want to start your own business and learn a few things.  Just dropping out of something without a plan in place that actually works seems mad. And I don't think it's smart so start your own business with nearly no real life experience.

I'm just starting school so my comment probably has no merit, but I'll say it anyways.

The only thing stopping you from succeeding in what you want to do is yourself (most of the time). If you think you can start your own business, I say go do it. Allow it to flourish and create jobs in your community.

I'm studying computer science and my classes have no correlation whatsoever with computer science so far. They want to hold my hand and treat me like I don't know anything. So all I'm paying for is a piece of paper that looks good on a resume, at least for now. I may end up transferring to a bigger university with a better program after two years. That is, if I'm not in your position :)

Graduate before leaving school :)

Learning to do taxes can be learned in less than 2 weeks...and if you believe school is pointless... get good grades while doing something that you enjoy. While in school you are the customer ~ and it is your responsibility to learn as much as you can for it to be worth every minute and every dollar you spent there. Don't be laid back ~ education is never entitled.

Starting a business with no clue seems mad :D There is so much stuff you need to know and get right. I would look for work in the line of work you want to start your own business and learn a few things.  Just dropping out of something without a plan in place that actually works seems mad. And I don't think it's smart so start your own business with nearly no real life experience.

I've done research and I'm working on some stuff already... I know what i need to do it's just if I want school in it or not

Pretty much everyone thinks that. I'm a current sophomore (two weeks left!), and I hate it. But, if you drop out of school, you may as well kiss goodbye any chance of a good job / or pretty much anything else. I know it sucks, but it's essential.

As the previous poster said, start a business! I started a tech support business, which of course isn't huge, but it's fun, and I get paid. No one likes school, but you see kids who drop out; they don't get any farther. McDonalds isn't a viable career, and you'll regret the fuck out of this decision if you ever act on it.

Don't. It is not hard to graduate high school with flying colors so it is really just a sign of laziness if you don;'t even do that. No employer will hire you, investors will never invest in a dropout, and you simply won't know as much(even if you don't use the knowledge often).

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Ahem.

Www.10khelp.weebly.com

You don't need a professional business at 15-16. Just a small one. That's mine :D.

That's how it is everywhere. They teach you useless things while 80% of the teens don't know how to do taxes, change a tire on their car and some of the most basic things.

I'm in 2nd year of college right now, I got 3 more to go and at this point I realise if any business that I start or any place that I might work at, fails in the near future I will still have an IT degree and can easily get employed somewhere elase.

Back in 2009 when I was still in high school I was making the same amount of money from coding and remote server maintenance than my mom was working a full time job in a faculty and I found school useless and wanted to quit so I could work full time. A year later my employer screwed me over for 1500e and I was left jobless and wasn't smart enough to save up some of the money I had earned so I'm glad I hadn't quit because a year after that I got a free scholarship at a University. :)

Back in 2009 when I was still in high school I was making the same amount of money from coding and remote server maintenance than my mom was working a full time job in a faculty and I found school useless and wanted to quit so I could work full time. A year later my employer screwed me over for 1500e and I was left jobless and wasn't smart enough to save up some of the money I had earned so I'm glad I hadn't quit because a year after that I got a free scholarship at a University. :)

This is a prime example that no matter what you do you need a backup plan. If you go all into something like this and it does not work out you are financially dead (which can also mean regular dead too) and this buisness idea of yours is incredibly risky. 

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

running a business or starting your own isn't common sense, stay in school. Don't be stupid, value the education you can get. Graduate from high school, go to a university and get a degree in business or whatever you like. So many kids drop out become bums and what not, but you hear about 1 in 10000 that becomes successful, those who became successful were probably geniuses to begin with and were side tracked

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

You don't need a professional business at 15-16. Just a small one. That's mine :D.

IF you would quit school what excuse is there to not work full time and make a living? I don't really see the point of quitting school to earn 5$ a day

I'm just starting school so my comment probably has no merit, but I'll say it anyways.

The only thing stopping you from succeeding in what you want to do is yourself (most of the time). If you think you can start your own business, I say go do it. Allow it to flourish and create jobs in your community.

I'm studying computer science and my classes have no correlation whatsoever with computer science so far. They want to hold my hand and treat me like I don't know anything. So all I'm paying for is a piece of paper that looks good on a resume, at least for now. I may end up transferring to a bigger university with a better program after two years. That is, if I'm not in your position :)

with the i.t bit all i do is bloody powerpoint work,i want to be overclocking and building them!

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

im sort of with you with stuff like algebra as i dont see the point of it but stay in school you never know what you might learn for the rest of it and i will give you a better kickstart if you want to make a business

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Unless you want to set up a bakery I wouldn't do that...

lol

Spoiler

I'd say stay in school. If you really, really, really hate it, what about college? I'm not sure how it's going to be where you are but when I left school for college I found it much more enjoyable. I felt like what I was learning really counted towards something. Leaving school was a shock and you'll likely make new friends. In college you are given a lot more responsibility for your learning. If you don't do the work, they don't care, you'll just fail.

Try school or college and have the business as a part time thing, like many here I have a small business fixing peoples' PCs on the weekends.

Stick in, you'll regret not.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

Hey, stick with it and learn the things they teach you so you can get your diploma. In your free time, learn whatever you want to learn, there are plenty of free courses online and places you can educate yourself properly in the things that interest you. Remember that at the end of college you and your friends will all have a degree, but you will have the experience that they don't and you will have an edge over them which will help you get a good job and later on get promoted much faster.
At the end of the day you are still too young to be making such a decision, just stick with it, go with the flow, experience everything you can in college, there are plenty of goods and bads. Enjoy life and work on your plan for after college. :)

IF you would quit school what excuse is there to not work full time and make a living? I don't really see the point of quitting school to earn 5$ a day

Well, yeah. I wasn't saying 'quit school and start a bueiness' I meant he could start one DURING school, as a side distraction, if he really hates it.

Oh, and I make about $25 3-4 times a week :P

OP how old are you? Do you really think you have what it takes to take on the cold world of business? 

Stepping into the world of business and finances is a seriously extreme move. Trust me, that "useless" education your getting now will come in handy and when it does you'll be surprised. 

DOAAA0Z.gif

Think about it. I graduated from high school and then entered the world of business, its a whole other ball game. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

As much as this is the second page, I want you to read this carefully.

I've had a shit life. All the people I care about are dying within 3 years of each other, I've spent about half of the past year (Not exaggerating, literally 6 months) in the hospital, I'm in grade 12, I've been suffering from depression since grade 7, and I simply despise the people at my school.

I didn't drop out.

I made it through, despite almost suffering emotional breakdowns every single day and being on a cocktail of antidepressants and other things every single day.

You have NO reason to complain. Absolutely none.

So relax. You can do it. It will pay off in the long run. I know someone who dropped out of school last year and can't get a job and became depressed. As much as you might hate it now, you need to do it for your own good.

I can be a cynical a**hole at times. I apologize if I cause any offence at those time. I also occasionally have issues communicating my point. Extreme introversion + Photographic memory + Some other things.

Desktop: i5-4670k - 8gb 1600MHz - MSI 7850

Laptop: i7-4810QM - GTX 870m - 8gb RAM