Thinking of dropping out of school

greenroost1445

I've had this same issue before and all the advice I can give is do what's right in your mind. The logical thing isn't always the thing that's going to make you happy or satisfy you in life. Life's too short and school isn't for everyone. If you ever do decide to enter the private sector you can decide to go a trade school instead. That might be better up your alley because you're directly applying what you learn on the spot.

There are plenty of reasons to drop out of school but I don't think your reasoning is thought out enough, based on your OP.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) SSD: Samsung 970 Plus 250GB NVME, WD Blue 2TB m.2, Crucial M500 240GB GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW PSU: Seasonic G-Series 550W CASE: Corsair 220T RGB

I'm going to be blunt with you: You're stupid and you thinking that school is stupid, is stupid. Good luck getting a job or getting into a decent college with that GED. 

COMIC SANS

I hate to be to the point (no i don't). You are a moron if you drop out of school. 

I've done research and I'm working on some stuff already... I know what i need to do it's just if I want school in it or not

You're too damn optimistic. Think realistically for a second here. 

You're a Sophomore in high school. You're like, what, 15 or 16, and you're already thinking about starting a business? Even if you drop out now and wait a few years to do this, how on Earth are you going to get the money? The bank of mommy and daddy only goes so far and I doubt that they would want to fund their drop-out son's business venture that is sure to fail. You want a loan? Good luck with that, and even if you do get a loan, how on Earth are you going to pay it back? Because your little business venture will more than likely fail.

And another thing concerning loans, no bank will give a 15/16 year old a loan. Just, no, it's not happening. Even if you waited a few years, I don't think they would give a loan to a person with no job or credit. If you do have credit, it'll more than likely be extremely shotty credit because you would be buying stuff left and right using credit cards. It's not free money, ya know. 

Even if you save up money to do this, are you even aware of how many thousands of Dollars you would have to save up? And not just that, but you would have to calculate in extra money because your first few months you will more than likely be making a loss until your little business venture catches on. Back to saving up money, what money? Who on Earth would hire a high school drop-out? You think working at McDonalds will make you the money you need to start a business? HAH, that's funny, and that's being gracious and thinking you would even get a job at McDonalds or some place like it. 

I'm not trying to tear you down, I'm trying to talk some damn sense into you. I'm speaking realistically to you. I'm sure whatever you're planning has already been done before, and will surely get beaten out by the guy who has been there longer.

COMIC SANS

OP how old are you? Do you really think you have what it takes to take on the cold world of business? 

Stepping into the world of business and finances is a seriously extreme move. Trust me, that "useless" education your getting now will come in handy and when it does you'll be surprised. 

DOAAA0Z.gif

Think about it. I graduated from high school and then entered the world of business, its a whole other ball game. 

OP, listen to him. He buys and sells stocks and bonds for a living (correct me if I'm wrong). 

COMIC SANS

OP, listen to him. He buys and sells stocks and bonds for a living (correct me if I'm wrong). 

I do sell stocks for living. Made a couple of good buys today :D 

hBm24Mq.pngThem candlestick charts~! All that data.... 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I do sell stocks for living. Made a couple of good buys today :D

-snip-

Them candlestick charts~! All that data.... 

Just saying, but the closest relation I have with buying/selling stocks and bonds is Bitcoin and some of its spin-off cryptocurrencies. I know it works very similarly, but not eeeeexactly the same way. Either way, I wasn't very good at it.

:c

COMIC SANS

Just saying, but the closest relation I have with buying/selling stocks and bonds is Bitcoin and some of its spin-off cryptocurrencies. I know it works very similarly, but not eeeeexactly the same way. Either way, I wasn't very good at it.

:c

Hmmm I left the bitcoin scene before the crash thankfully. I'm expecting it to make a slow recovery. Took whatever profits and either banked them or threw em into my trading account. Bitcoins are very volatile and heavily news based, the number of other profitable coins you can play with dim in comparison to stocks you could trade. If bitcoins ever took off again I may consider jumping into the fray again.  

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Good luck with that (sarcasm).

As a college sophomore, I can honestly say that dropping out of school may very well be the worst decision in your life.

If you think the tests in high school are pointless, you are wrong. Well, the truth of the matter is that exams become more prevalent in college.

If you need a challenge in high school sign up for Advanced Placement/ Honors / Accelerated/ IB classes. By the time I graduated high school I had completed 9 AP classes all scored over 4+.

Also: the classes you take in high school such as history and english are there to help you become a much more balanced and informed individual of our society. 

Finally, I want to say something that my chemistry prof. told one of her students: "School is meant to make you make hard decisions and think critically. The world doesn't work in black and white, right and wrong, but in many shades of colors."

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

im sort of with you with stuff like algebra as i dont see the point of it but stay in school you never know what you might learn for the rest of it and i will give you a better kickstart if you want to make a business

Yeah, well if you go into the field of science later it does make sense but tbh, even then you will always have a calculator and doing things like non-calculator exams is retarded.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Okay, I hated school my entire life and thought it was a pointless waste of time with the work, but even with all the thoughts I've had (many terrible) I still wouldn't think of dropping out of highschool. You're only going to make your life infinitely harder unless you get very, very lucky. Suicide is higher on my list than dropping out of school, that's how bad of an idea it is. (This is aside from me graduating next week. Yay.)

Not a good idea. I was reading Time magazine recently and it had statistics about unemployment and it said that the unemployment rate of high school drop outs was 14 percent compared to graduates who had an unemployment rate of 9 percent. Also running a small business is more difficult then people think, The amount of work involved with small business is crazy you need to have sales and accounting skills  You could probably leave school and do some short community college courses,, but if your business doesn't work out and you need to get a job at a company then you will really struggle to get a job. 

So here's the thing, it's the end of sophomore year and I am done with school in its entirety. I don't want to go back next year and I'm sick and tired of school. I feel like the things we study are completely pointless. And what they try to integrate in it just doesn't work... Most people who graduate from my high school don't know how to do taxes, and the only thing they know how to do is take tests. I'm thinking about just going and starting a business, I've done most of my research and can't find a reason to stay in school. What do you guys think should I stay in school?

hey, what are your plans when you drop out ? it really isnt an easy life

your attitude reminds me of me I thought about dropping out of collage numurous times (I have been in collage for six years)  but never did, I think you just need the summer to re cooperate like everyone does

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

So here's the thing, it's the end of sophomore year and I am done with school in its entirety. I don't want to go back next year and I'm sick and tired of school. I feel like the things we study are completely pointless. And what they try to integrate in it just doesn't work... Most people who graduate from my high school don't know how to do taxes, and the only thing they know how to do is take tests. I'm thinking about just going and starting a business, I've done most of my research and can't find a reason to stay in school. What do you guys think should I stay in school?

I get yo feels, however I have versatile interests to keep myself busy. But im starting to run out of information to process, extraversion is starting to be a growing symtom, dammit school system sucks.E ven in best of schools and groups it's so slow at times with dumasses

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Mind you, I am still in High school but I think you might find this usefull. Even math equations that you might think you won't use, are usefull. you won't use them per say, btu they train your brain to developp its abillity to solve problems.

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

Not a lot of employers want a drop out

Who puts highschool on their resume?

One of my art teachers always referred to school as a "free education". Once you drop out or get out of school, anything you want to learn will cost you in some way besides time and energy. Sure, you could teach yourself, but to prove that you are capable or up to the standards, you're probably going to have to pay for test that could have been taken for free. Art classes, auto classes, woodworking, business, hell, even life-guarding and basic medical classes can be taken for free or dirt cheap. Art classes at my school are $20 for the whole year. You get access to throwing wheels, welders, Photoshop, sketchbooks, painting supplies, and all that jazz for just $20. All the ceramics we make, we get to keep and if you're that kind of person, you can even replace your whole dinnerware. The auto classes are $20 too, and you get access to industrial standard equipment like lifts and tools. The cars, however, are usually in bad shape, but that teaches you to deal with the worst kind of vehicles and sometimes, a staff member or student might even bring in their own car to work in. Aerospace is free. You get to learn how planes work and I think design them for free. If you want, you can even go on to pilot a plane, but I think that's like $100 or something.

Oh, but there's still a fee. It's a small fee compared to what many "higher education" institutes are asking for; so, hundreds to the thousands. My French isn't that good, but I was able to learn it without having to move to a French-speaking country or state - yes, Louisiana has French speakers - or having to pay a ton to learn basic French either through textbooks, courses, or a tutor.

If I want to learn more about cars, I have three options: teach myself, get a job, or pay and take a course. Of those three, taking a job outweighs the others. One, my garage is way too small and my parents do not like me doing anything involving heavy objects or delicate objects. It's one reason why my parents don't even want me to build a computer. Paying would force me to drop out of university or having to spend 6 years at two colleges. Four years at a university for some stable and maybe a career I'd like and then return for two years just to learn about cars. Yeah, nice way to get yourself in debt. Had I not got into that university, I would have taken a transfer program that would have required me to take two years at the place where I could learn about cars. So, if I do get a job, I basically get paid to learn about cars. That's great, but it doesn't mean I can screw around or mess with other people's cars unlike owning your car or buying a beater and just killing it to find its breaking point. Also, I would only be working within a limited area of cars. I'm not going to learn about rebuilding engines, instead I'd be working oil and basic car maintenance. Add tax, working hours, and weather that's not nice. Apparently, it gets really hot when there's a garage filled with running cars. Now, that's if I even get the job since there are plenty of people out there more qualified than a guy who just took a basic course in high school.

Same thing with computers, poetry, drama, music, chemistry, biology, etc. All you do in school is show up, do as your told, and do it to the best of your ability. That's just time, effort, and energy. There's little to no money involved. Also, you can choose electives that interest you including business. Sadly enough, people actually fail school. Hell, people fail physical education aka gym classes. All you have to do is show up and work. That's all. You don't even have to be good or fit. It's an easy A.

Who puts highschool on their resume?

I don't know about other countries, but in the states, you are required to list all your education and that includes high school or an equivalent of it. If your resumé has no education at all, it's probably likely they won't hire you. With at least high school, they might. If you have a doctorate and a PhD, they'd think you're an idiot for applying at McDonald's. That or you're way too overqualified and way too young and inexperienced for any job.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

Don't do it. Quitting school will haunt you for the rest of your life, no matter what you think you want to do. Go to school and get the best education possible.

Don't quit high school unless you want to make your life infinite times harder than it has to be.

I just graduated college and got my bachelors in computer information systems. Trust me when I say high school is the easiest life is going to be. Whether it be going to secondary education or going to work everyday there are things that are ten times worse than high school. It may seem dumb no but the point of all these classes is to turn you into a well rounded individual.

If you don't get your high school diploma I doubt you will be doing something you enjoy. I work part time at a gas station and we would never hire someone without a high school education. And starting a business is much harder than you think. Where are you going to get the money to start a business? I doubt anyone will give you a loan.

Just finish high school. Trust me it will be worth it in the end. And have fun, real life sucks no need to rush into it.

Stay in school. You mentioned military, they won't accept you unless you graduate. You leave school and you hurt yourself in the long run. The military will make school feel like sleeping in every day and having a free life..

Starting a business? Nah. If you can't finish school, which is basic and easy.. Starting a business where you need a good knowledge, the patience when things get tough, and well a investment to start it.

Leaving school with guarantee a poor job and you can expect working for 25 years before you have enough capital to start a business. Or if you get lucky and land a venture cap to offer you a loan.. Your business plan showing you left school will have him laugh in your face. I'm a business owner and reading it on the internet is only 1/10000th of what it's actually like. Have you planned where you're going to get starting funds, a location, a name, looked into proper legal forms to set yourself up as a llc/inc, planned for money spent vs profit for 6 months, 1 year, 3 years, 5 years, used a break even analysis to determine if your business will even make money, thought of a marketing plan, how you will be taxed, obtain state licenses, state retail license, federal employment number, proper insurance, proper irs publications so you dont end up with 10000's of unpaid taxes at the end of the year... It's a LONG process.

There are only a select few that can drop out and get successful in something. Are you a programming savant? Do you know ruby on rails, c, php, html, cfm, perl, python, asp.net or scala? 

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide