Using velcro in my gaming pc to hold up an ssd a safety/fire hazard?

Luneh

So i just built my pc in the 3000d corsair case which didn't come with ssd mounts for the back of the case and i want to use some old velcro i have lying around is it safe?? , not gonna start a fire down the road or something or damage the other comonents some how? 

Just now, Luneh said:

So i just built my pc in the 3000d corsair case which didn't come with ssd mounts for the back of the case and i want to use some old velcro i have lying around is it safe?? , not gonna start a fire down the road or something or damage the other comonents some how? 

I wouldn't waste the velcro, but it'll be fine. PCs don't get hot enough to melt most materials, maximum ~120C.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Just now, Agall said:

I wouldn't waste the velcro, but it'll be fine. PCs don't get hot enough to melt most materials, maximum ~120C.

Id rather it not be loose and able to rattle around tbh just scared the adhesive or velcro will catch fire

4 minutes ago, Luneh said:

Id rather it not be loose and able to rattle around tbh just scared the adhesive or velcro will catch fire

Dude, seriously...  people told you to use velcro in the previous thread.   They wouldn't have if it wasn't viable.

How the hell would it catch fire?  

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

1 minute ago, da na said:

You don't even need to use velcro. Just stuff the drive in there and slam the panel closed. But velcro will not catch fire.

Thanks id like like it to be secure so i dont gotta worry if im moving it around and stuff

10 minutes ago, Luneh said:

The lowest melting point I can find online for velcro is that of polyester-based velcro, which apparently has a melting point of 138C. That is hotter than anything in a computer unless the computer itself already actually caught fire. And that melting point is just that - a melting point. That's not even the ignition point, so even if it somehow got that hot (which would already imply bigger problems) it would just start to melt, not catch fire.

5 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

Dude, seriously...  people told you to use velcro in the previous thread.   They wouldn't have if it wasn't viable.

How the hell would it catch fire?  

Just wanted to be sure man idk if the heat will fuck it all up😢

i just use tape in these situations, dont waste money on velcro.

Nothing in your PC will get that hot on surface. Hottest temps are core temps, inside IHS. All your other components would be long dead before you need to start worrying about velcro, any fabrics, plastic, glass etc.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

using velcro is mid because even at 40c the adhesive will soften and fall off.
the ssd itself will reach those temps easily, let alone the ambient temp around it.
if you wish to mount a ssd to the back of the mobo tray, consider buying a ssd mount/tray and attaching that to your case using two part epoxy, then simply screw the ssd into the mount job done for 25usd

16 hours ago, OhYou_ said:

using velcro is mid because even at 40c the adhesive will soften and fall off.
the ssd itself will reach those temps easily, let alone the ambient temp around it.
if you wish to mount a ssd to the back of the mobo tray, consider buying a ssd mount/tray and attaching that to your case using two part epoxy, then simply screw the ssd into the mount job done for 25usd

The offical mounts on corsair.com are out of stock also im from uk lol i have an old inwin case that has mounts i just dont know if theyll work in the 3000d corsair case? 

Oh no, no no no no and just in case once more no. You need at least 3M VHB tape to hold SSD anywhere near your PC, Loctite Super Glue Gel (Gel part is important so it doesn't cure completely hard) is a good substitute for VHB tape. To be very sure you should weld the SSD into the case to be sure it will never move again.

Joking.

The velcro is just fine. Unless something goes horribly wrong nothing in your PC will catch on fire, even if you were to fill it with paper scraps.

It's an SSD so you can pretty much mount it with few all sticky rolls (you take a piece of tape and roll it on itself so the glue side stays outside) of scotch tape. If you want to be super sure just tape them on the floor of the case they cannot drop even if the adhesive in the tape gets too old and crumbles away.

6 hours ago, Luneh said:

The offical mounts on corsair.com are out of stock also im from uk lol i have an old inwin case that has mounts i just dont know if theyll work in the 3000d corsair case? 

they dont have to "work" in the case, they just have to have enough flat surface that you can epoxy it to the case and it will stay in place, and ideally use clips or side screws to attach the ssd, since once you glue it in place, you cannot use bottom screw mounts

Where the hell are the original supplied drive trays?

Screenshot_20231130-111702.thumb.png.f9d05a5c214de5da2e0740163e656b11.png

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

On 11/30/2023 at 5:18 PM, Rocketdog2112 said:

Where the hell are the original supplied drive trays?

Screenshot_20231130-111702.thumb.png.f9d05a5c214de5da2e0740163e656b11.png

Had to remove them for my psu 😢

On 12/1/2023 at 5:26 PM, Luneh said:

Had to remove them for my psu 😢

That makes absolutely no sense. The PSU has it's own spot in the case next to the drive trays. 

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

6 minutes ago, Rocketdog2112 said:

That makes absolutely no sense. The PSU has it's own spot in the case next to the drive trays. 

If he's got a longboi PSU with chonky mon-modular cable connectors I can see it possibly being a problem. The 3000D is not a big case, and out of the box it has the drive cages several inches back from the front to make room for AIOs.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

It's fine, but in the long run a couple bucks for the right mounting bracket is a tiny portion of the build cost and you'll probably regret it in 3 years when you can't get that part anymore.

On 12/2/2023 at 11:43 PM, Rocketdog2112 said:

Im saying the cables didnt fit if i didnt remove it theres like 2 inches of room

On 12/3/2023 at 11:02 AM, FreddyWestside said:

It's fine, but in the long run a couple bucks for the right mounting bracket is a tiny portion of the build cost and you'll probably regret it in 3 years when you can't get that part anymore.

The part i need is kinda expensive sith shipping 😭

3 minutes ago, Luneh said:

The part i need is kinda expensive sith shipping 😭

Just use zip tie man

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Just now, Poinkachu said:

Just use zip tie man

Thought about that just gotta find a place i can use them